Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the trick to getting the beta?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I just got my 23 MX LR with FSD on 10/31. I have about 300 miles on it so far. I want the FSD beta. What's the trick? My safety score is high (99) and I've been using "navigate on autopilot" even when I don't want to just to try and log some miles. Any tips or tricks on how to get in there? I paid for it and I want it! LOL.

So, I just got my 23 MX LR with FSD on 10/31. I have about 300 miles on it so far. I want the FSD beta. What's the trick? My safety score is high (99) and I've been using "navigate on autopilot" even when I don't want to just to try and log some miles. Any tips or tricks on how to get in there? I paid for it and I want it! LOL.

There is no trick. Having a safety score of 99 just means that you are eligible but Tesla still has to pick your VIN. Not everybody who is eligible, gets it. The safety score is not an automatic in. FSD beta is just an "early access" program. It just let's some people get FSD early when it is still in beta development. But everybody who paid for FSD will get it when it is released wide.

There is no trick. Having a safety score of 99 just means that you are eligible but Tesla still has to pick your VIN. Not everybody who is eligible, gets it. The safety score is not an automatic in. FSD beta is just an "early access" program. It just let's some people get FSD early when it is still in beta development. But everybody who paid for FSD will get it when it is released wide.
Which is probably years away if history tells us anything.

Thanks for the comment...hopefully I get "selected". Any idea what percentage of people request access get it?

I just got my 23 MX LR with FSD on 10/31
What version is your software? New vehicles often come with "odd" factory versions that might have recent/special changes that don't exist in general release versions, so that can prevent updates until the special changes merge to a newer general release. It's not uncommon for people to wait a few weeks to get any software update let alone a FSD Beta update.

The current FSD Beta release available to most people is software version 2022.20.19. The first number is the year and second number is week of the year, and generally Tesla avoids "downgrading" software similar to the previous point about your vehicle might need special / newer behaviors that don't exist in the older versions.

Even today, FSD Beta seems to be adding additional vehicles that meet the requirements including 80+ Safety Score, 100+ Autopilot miles as well as compatible software version (recently seems to be 2022.20.7, 2022.20.8 and 2022.20.9). There are plenty of people who are still waiting to be added because their vehicle is on newer versions, e.g., 2022.28.2, 2022.36.6, 2022.40.4.

The next FSD Beta release seems like it'll be version of at least 2022.36.15, so currently this would likely prevent those on a 2022.40.x version from getting added when Tesla is ready to move it from limited testing to wider testing.

Which is probably years away if history tells us anything.

Thanks for the comment...hopefully I get "selected". Any idea what percentage of people request access get it?

I don't know what the percentage is. Tesla started with a small percentage and have been ramping up the percentage as they get closer to wide release. Tesla also gradually lowered the safety score requirement, as FSD beta got more reliable, to allow more people to be eligible.

The trick is to email "[email protected]" I was in the same boat 2 weeks ago and loving FSD today.

What version is your software? New vehicles often come with "odd" factory versions that might have recent/special changes that don't exist in general release versions, so that can prevent updates until the special changes merge to a newer general release. It's not uncommon for people to wait a few weeks to get any software update let alone a FSD Beta update.

The current FSD Beta release available to most people is software version 2022.20.19. The first number is the year and second number is week of the year, and generally Tesla avoids "downgrading" software similar to the previous point about your vehicle might need special / newer behaviors that don't exist in the older versions.

Even today, FSD Beta seems to be adding additional vehicles that meet the requirements including 80+ Safety Score, 100+ Autopilot miles as well as compatible software version (recently seems to be 2022.20.7, 2022.20.8 and 2022.20.9). There are plenty of people who are still waiting to be added because their vehicle is on newer versions, e.g., 2022.28.2, 2022.36.6, 2022.40.4.

The next FSD Beta release seems like it'll be version of at least 2022.36.15, so currently this would likely prevent those on a 2022.40.x version from getting added when Tesla is ready to move it from limited testing to wider testing.
Thank you for this detail. I’m running 2022.28.300.

I don't know if they still do it this way, but in times past, they expanded in "groups" of eligible people. For example, when they released a new software version, they'd expand by a few thousand more people. Between versions FSD was closed and no one would be added.

Interesting…can you provide more detail on that, please? What information did you provide?
I am in the same boat. I bought FSD, have a score of 97 and have driven over 15k miles. I have sent a few emails to to [email protected] with my details and got a form letter back describing what FSD is. Not helpful. They did not respond to the 2 additional emails at all. is there a trick to how you get them to respond?

No one is “entitled“ to the Beta. You are entitled to the release version, which you likely have. This gives you the ability to request it. if you are willing to accept all the mistakes it makes. It took me three months to get it, and I had it for a year on the car I traded in, and also on our second car. It now is looking like the next folks to get it are those that are on 2022.36.

Thank you for this detail. I’m running 2022.28.300.
I picked up a model 3 one week ago, and I also have the same current version, 2022.28.300. I've been daily monitoring the reporting on https://www.teslafi.com/firmware to see whether people with our version are moving on, and then to what. Of the 47 participating vehicles, only between yesterday and today did any get "promoted". When last I looked it was four cars--just now it is 13 cars. So far ALL of them have gone to 2022.40.4.

From the point of view of wanting to get into FSDb soon that would be a update to turn down, as the one that has just inched into the earliest, tiny distribution list public distribution is built on a 2022.36 base. Going to a 2022.40 base would block me from getting that one until they issue a version with a base higher than 2022.40.4.

So my advice to you is my advice to myself--sit tight, expect a couple of weeks wait best case, and avoid installing updates to versions higher than the currently highest known FSDb version (today that means don't go higher than 2022.36, but watch for news).

I took delivery on a Y with paid-for FSD in March, and it took me 3 months to get into FSDb. I had not heard you were supposed to get 100 miles on NoA, and that may have blocked me.

Reactions: CDrury
I don't think that works. I tried that awhile back and I just got the standard "thanks for your interest" reply and then nothing. I only got FSD Beta much later when Tesla decided to add more testers.
I e-mailed [email protected] yesterday to ask why our Model 3 hasn't received FSD Beta yet. I received an automated reply yesterday, but today I received a reply from someone on the team, who told we don't have enough miles on Autosteer yet (we have 64, we need 100). I've been in the Beta queue for months now so I'm surprised that we haven't racked up 100 miles, but at least I got the response and now I know what we need to do.

I e-mailed [email protected] yesterday to ask why our Model 3 hasn't received FSD Beta yet. I received an automated reply yesterday, but today I received a reply from someone on the team, who told we don't have enough miles on Autosteer yet (we have 64, we need 100). I've been in the Beta queue for months now so I'm surprised that we haven't racked up 100 miles, but at least I got the response and now I know what we need to do.
Well at least they got back to you!! I can’t even get a response.

I’ve Done almost 2K miles with 1k AP miles in a month Safety score of 95 still no invite here so keep waiting.

Attachments

• E91763B9-86DA-4831-8F57-DE92CD7BF865.jpeg
    E91763B9-86DA-4831-8F57-DE92CD7BF865.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 126
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Do you know about tapping on the i at the upper right of your Safety Score page to see miles driven and Miles on Autopilot.

Folks here think that the 100 mile on autosteer requirement is for a rolling 30-day window. I don't know whether that is true, nor do I know whether the number shown under the i on the Safety Score page has that same meaning.

I used NoA very little in the three months it took my Y to get into FSDb, and it is quite likely that on most days I did not have 100 NoA miles in the previous 30 days.

Folks here think that the 100 mile on autosteer requirement is for a rolling 30-day window. I don't know whether that is true, nor do I know whether the number shown under the i on the Safety Score page has that same meaning.
I do know this is true. I had 1200 miles on auto-pilot with a safety score over 95 for many of the months that no new version of autopilot beta came out. By the time it did come out, my auto pilot miles were older than 30 days so I did not get it. I had to make extra trips on auto pilot just to get my auto-pilot miles above 100, which happened on a Saturday, but I did not get the beta until the next Monday.

Do you know about tapping on the i at the upper right of your Safety Score page to see miles driven and Miles on Autopilot.

I used NoA very little in the three months it took my Y to get into FSDb, and it is quite likely that on most days I did not have 100 NoA miles in the previous 30 days.
I didn’t know about seeing Autopilot miles in the Safety Score until I saw the screenshot in the post above yours. The 30-day window explains why my AP miles are lower than expected.