TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What's the value of 360º bird's eye view?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by brucet999, Jun 18, 2015.

1. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

I will be ordering for delivery either in early September or maybe mid November. Some threads here suggest that M X will feature 360º birds eye camera view and that M S would likely also offer it at the same time or soon thereafter. If that were true, I might opt for later delivery in order that the hardware would be available to include it on my S.

So, I ask those who have had 360º birds eye view, Did you find it truly useful?

If 360º bird's eye were available as a separate option, what would you be willing to pay for it?

Thanks

2. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

I've never owned a car with it, but I've worked with it briefly a couple times. It makes parallel parking a lot easier, and can also be useful if you're having trouble judging where you are in a parking space. If they made it a cheap option I'd probably buy it (<$500) but most likely not if it was a more expensive standalone.

(Given Tesla's current direction, I'm thinking it is more likely it'll become standard if they offer it - or possibly rolled into a big package; the only likely candidate right now is the "premium" package unless they completely rearrange things again.)

3. travwill

travwill Member

have it on our BMW, looks cool at first but don't use it. Use the Audi parking sensors and rear view camera, and tilting mirror. the 360 isn't usually large/detailed enough or really the backup/side is all you need 99% time. Cool IMHO but not worth holding out for.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

I have it on my '13 Leaf SV w/premium and quick charge (CHAdeMO inlet) + LED packages. It's part of the premium package. Nissan calls it Around View Monitor. It was first offered on the Leaf on the '13. It's also offered even on cheapo cars like the Versa Note.

I LOVE it! It was worth the extra money to me, esp. since it has a view where you can see the right side only, making it harder to accidentally get curb rash on your wheels (sorta important since I'm leasing my Leaf).

I use it all the time.

For me, I'm glad I got the premium package (Bose stereo (which I enjoy even though I am NOT a fan of Bose) and Around View Monitor). I'm not so sure the CHAdeMO inlet + LED headlight package was worth it though...

I can't quickly find a great video, but Nissan Innovative Technology - Around View Monitor Specs - YouTube gives you an idea, even though it's for cars w/steering wheels on the other side.

5. MartinAustin

MartinAustin Active Member

This is a very important feature for the Model S, which is a large car, and easy to scrape!

6. muleferg

muleferg Member

I have a 2015 F150 that has a 360 view. I love it.

7. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

I've never owned a car with 360 degree parking view but I had a loan of a GL350 from Mercedes for a weekend last year, and the benefit of the surround parking was immense.

I expect the need is much greater in Europe where roads, and parking spaces, are considerably smaller than in the US.

If I just miss out on this with my October P85D then I will be more annoyed than when I missed out on Autopilot with my Summer 14 P85 :)

8. MartinAustin

MartinAustin Active Member

Honestly mgboyes I think it is worth adjusting the delivery month for your car (which you can do... and this alters the month of manufacturing) out to a point where you're more confident you'll get the 360-degree view.

9. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

We have it in our Leaf and I absolutely love it.
    If it were available, I'd buy it.

I have found it very useful even though the Leaf is a tiny car, and the display is itty bitty!
    On the full screen of the Model S... holy cow;-)

10. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

Had it on a 2010 Infinity and loved it. Will be mind-boggling on a 17" display instead of a 7".

11. sorka

sorka Active Member

Have it on our Infiniti. Swore I'd never buy another car without it but ended up breaking that promise when I bought the MS. My wife still gripes about it missing every time she drives the MS. I just roll my eyes and nod in agreement each and every time. I allows parallel parking within a half inch of the curb without chancing hitting the curb. Maybe Audi isn't as good which is why I've heard lots of people say they don't use theirs on their Audis, but the Nissan/Infiniti implementation has always been raved at by everyone I've heard talking about it.

12. muleferg

muleferg Member

3 different 360 view on my F150. This is great for hooking up a trailer.
    \ IMG_2054.JPG IMG_2055.JPG IMG_2056.JPG

13. PaulR

PaulR Member

I have an ICE BMW X5 2015 which my wife drives and it has the "birds eye" cameras which are very helpful in tight parking spaces. The Model S is a large vehicle and it would be helpful to have such an aid for parking. I would happily pay for it as an option.

14. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Speaking of "7", I wonder if 360º will be part of FW 7?

15. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

As far as I know, no production Model S has the sensors required for this (front wide angle and mirror/side cameras,) so I doubt they can do it with a simple firmware update. There have been prototypes spotted with cameras, though, so it might be coming to the Model S in the future.

16. mkspeedr

mkspeedr Member

When it becomes available - I know 4 orders will be placed immediately and 4 BMWs will be replaced.

17. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

I didn't mean to suggest a FW upgrade would do the trick, but rather that FW 7 might be released with the X including 360º view cameras.

18. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

There's no proof, but I'm expecting to see it on the Model X whenever that does get here. (And I'm not waiting impatiently for that reveal. Not at all. Honest.)

19. Joules Verne

Joules Verne Member

I have the 360 top down camera view on my 5 series, and LOVE it. It helps with parking, assisting with parking perfectly within the lines, and close to curbs, and backing into challenging spaces. I use it every day.

This is one of the last major hold-out features for me.
    I may just pull the the trigger once it's available on the Model S.

20. GuyHall

GuyHall Member

Have 360 view on our leaf and agree with others; it's great. Minimizes risks on tight situations, let's you see how close you are too the parking stripes, etc.