Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the verdict on 8.0 Autopilot nags?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that some time has passed, what is your opinion on the frequency of 8.0 autopilot nags?

Since I hold the wheel with one hand while on AP, I have never had it nag. Drove to Phoenix, about 2000 miles RT, maybe half with AP. Only one time I noticed the white outline on the dash display. My hand was loosely resting at the bottom of the wheel. I closed my hand, and it went away. If you can feel the wheel moving your hand, it doesn't seem to nag.

My suggestion is that if one wants the car to drive hands off, one might wait for AP 4 or 5. AP 1 does what it's supposed to do. If everyone would drive as intended, there would be no nags.

I've had the same experience. Hands lightly on the wheel, no nags. I like the fact that the first warning is the white ring on the dash, not an audible warning (which always caused my wife always asked "whats that").

I'm wondering what people want to do with their hands if their not on the wheel?
Maybe not...

• Funny
Reactions: HumanGenome
If I apply pressure to the wheel (basically apply pressure against the steer) I don't get nags. If I lightly hold the wheel and let the car steer itself I get nags every time. I find that I bounce the wheel, against the pressure, and the nag goes away. Basically Tesla has implemented a feature it doesn't support. I always hold the wheel, as I don't fully trust it and want to be ready to take over quickly. Tesla can't tell if you have your hand on the wheel as they don't detect touch. They are looking for your hand to provide resistance, which means you have to counter steer or over steer to appease the nag. I find it more exhausting to fight with the wheel than it's worth, and more often than not I just use the Active Cruise Control (which fortunately doesn't require me to tap the gas or the brake to confirm I'm paying attention).

edit: oops missed last comment request...setting is sport.

Reactions: JohnnyG and green1
From my experience, if you allow it to beep at you (even just the first initial beep) 2 times during a drive, on the 3rd it will disable autopilot for the rest of the drive. I believe this should be variable, based on the time/miles driven between nags. Point in case: I frequently drive non-stop for 200 miles, on a fairly straight flat route. It's quite easy on this route, to acquire 3 beep nags and shutdown autopilot, because you are not needing to hold so tight to the wheel. I feel that this should be variable based on the time/miles between nags. Example: 3 beep nags within 50 miles or 45 minutes, will shutdown autopilot. This way, if you get 1 at 20 miles, and another 20 miles later, and again in another 20 miles, you wouldn't get shutdown, because it's less than 3 in a 50 mile stretch. This is just a thought, but seeing that I can get on the interstate and drive for 240 miles, it seems potentially less safe to take away a safety feature because I wasn't holding the wheel hard enough during 3 moments of my 240 mile trip.

From my experience, if you allow it to beep at you (even just the first initial beep) 2 times during a drive, on the 3rd it will disable autopilot for the rest of the drive.

But doesn't the beep come after it gives you warning with the flashing boarder? How do you miss that? I use AP daily and have only heard the beep on 8.0 when I intentionally let it go too long to test it.

I am in the "it works fine for me" camp... Even on a 2000 mile road trip using AP a lot, I never had a single audio warning. This is a HUGE improvement over v7 where I would get the audio nag regularly because I didn't see the little alert asking for hands on the wheel (resistance), now with the flashing white border in 8 I've never failed to notice the visual warning. :) With my hand on the wheel, I barely ever need to apply much resistance, certainly not exhausting fighting or over steer. If you apply much pressure it just disengages the auto steer altogether... And on an 8 hour drive I would say I only received a handful of visual "nags"... Mostly when the AP was uncertain, sharp curves, heavy traffic or something, it definitely is not just based on time.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
But doesn't the beep come after it gives you warning with the flashing boarder? How do you miss that? I use AP daily and have only heard the beep on 8.0 when I intentionally let it go too long to test it.
I agree with @RogerHScott.... Although the flashing border is a *vast* improvement, there are two times where I consistently miss it... 1) In traffic requiring my undivided attention, 2) in long stretches of straight flat emptiness where I'm just staring down the road. In moderate traffic and non-long stretches, I tend to veer my eyes towards the dash more often, but I was brought-up to pay attention outside the vehicle, not inside, so I rarely look at the ICS unless I have a specific reason. That being said, at night it is quite obvious, even if you are focused outside the vehicle. But during the bright day, with enough outside items to focus on, it doesn't really catch my eye.
All of that being said; everyone is different. Some people are more apt to catch visual clues, others audible clues. A slight beep upon initial visual clue would be all that's necessary to alert those more attuned to audible triggers.

I definitely think 8.0 is "naggier". I put on 14,000 miles this summer -- much of it using AP -- and only occasionally nagged. I took a 200 mile trip after 8.0 was installed and was nagged almost constantly.

My steering is in Standard mode and I used to gently rest one hand at the bottom of the wheel. With 8.0 I have to rest my hand on either the left or right yoke to maintain downward pressure against AP.

I am firmly in the it should never nag you for nagging sake. FW 7.0 only nagged when it needed human intervention. All other "nagging" decreases the safety and usefulness of the system. I regret upgrading from 7.0 to 7.1 but I have learned my lesson and our cars will stay on 7.1 for as long as we own them. The current (7.1) system works perfectly for our needs and the 8.XX series add nothing that we need.

I agree that there needs to be some sort of audio cue for the nag. the nagging is incessant on secondary roads and constant when exceeding the autopilot speed limitations. I think they need to undo a lot of this new update

I don't normally go on many long trips, but with 7.x I took maybe half a dozen relatively short roadtrips, all under 400km each way. On those trips I never noticed any nags on AP except when I was purposely not holding the wheel just to see what happened. Normally closer to home I'm not driving places I'd normally use AP, so unlike some of you my overall usage of AP is fairly low.

Last month just after updating to 8.0, I drove 3500km round-trip to CA & back, perhaps >80% of that on AP, all on divided interstate. I only experienced one flashing-white nag during the whole trip. I keep one or both hands resting lightly on the wheel while using AP, sport steering mode. So in my case, so far, I'm not bothered by the frequency of nags either pre- or post- 8.0

I feel penalized with nags when my eyes are on the road and my hand is lightly on the wheel; I am paying attention and AP is doing a great job.
I often miss the first nag and sometimes the white alert.