Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the verdict on 8.0 Autopilot nags?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hate the nags. Got around 30+ times over 1.5 hour period. Like others have said sometime even with lightly holding the steering wheel, it thinks I am not the steering wheel. I was hoping it would get better the more I drive it but it doesn't. It is about the same 30+ nags in about 1.5 hours period.

Overall it fails more to identify the lanes compared to 7.1 and drifts more. Also trucks are classified as cars and a golf cart is classified as a truck.

Overall I think 8.0 is a step backward for tesla. I think part of it is the departure from mobi eye. They were heavily using vision before which IMO identifies cars, trucks, lanes, and other stuff better. Mobi eye probably didn't give tesla the secret sauce so they will have to develop their own.

In the future I hope tesla's implementation gets better, but right now it looks like 8.0 is mercedes' implementation of autopilot.

I envision the internal talk of the engineers at tesla:

Engineer 1: "Hey since mobi eye didn't give use the code we will have to use our crappier implementation"

Engineer 2: "No worries, we will make it nag more so the drivers would have to pay attention more and potentially take over more. And since it sucks compare to mobi eye, it will force the driver to trust the autopilot less forcing them to take over more. This will make our implementation look really good!"

Engineer 1: "So you are saying our autopilot implementation is just nagging the driver so much and making it unsafe will just make the driver drive the car themselves?"

Engineer 2: "Yup, that is the jist of it"

Engineer 1: "Genius"

Last edited:
8.0 is still mobileye...there was some claimed increased use of the radar, but in my opinion that was a ruse to get people to upgrade so the Feds didn't force a recall.

Your point is 100% valid for the AP 2.0 hardware. Everyone is expecting autopilot to return next month and have full autonomy next year. If you've watched tesla struggle with software for any length of time, you'll likely suspect that schedule will slip. A lot.

The nags while not applying accelerator pressure seem about the same as 7.1 for me.

However, when you apply accelerator pressure you get almost instant and frequent nagging until you let up (this started for me in 2.42.40). This is the part that I don't like.

When I do auto lane changes, sometimes I apply a little pressure to the pedal if I need to better slide in between two cars or if I want to more quickly match the car I'm pulling behind. Now, I get nagged during the lane change which is distracting.

I use autopilot frequently on surface streets. When accelerating from a stoplight, the AP acceleration rate is a little low so I apply pedal pressure. So now I get more nagging when I'd rather just focus on watching traffic.

The nag while applying pedal pressure makes things less safe, IMHO.

If your foot is on the accelerator, I think it's a good idea to have a hand on the wheel. You're overriding Autopilot in one dimension, speed, so I expect it's more likely to have trouble with steering than when it has full control. You might know that the road ahead is perfectly straight, when you step on that pedal. But AP(1) can't see that well.

You don't have to take your eyes off the road. Just keep a hand on the wheel. Besides satisfying the nag, keeping a hand on the wheel gives you immediate, tactile feedback on whatever Autosteer is doing. I find this helps avoid mode error, which is a large contributor to accidents with airplane autopilot systems. I feel more ready to take over if necessary, and I think it's safer.

Many people think autopilot is controlling speed and they're not aware that they're putting slight pressure on the accelerator pedal. Tesla has said this relating to a couple of AP accidents.

My 7.1 AP is incredible. I go 10 minute hwy drive with 1 or 2 slight nags and no hands or feet. I can hit accelerator all I want and it will not mess up once. Dead center of lane, and switches lanes like a champ. Everyday I am convinced not switching to 8.0 was the right move.

Late VIN model X - wonder if AP 1.0 has differences between cars that just no one knows about.

Screen Shot 2016-11-05 at 3.48.52 PM.png

There has to be some variance in the sensitivity of the torque sensor on the steering wheel. I drove from LA to San Francisco and back and was on Autopilot the whole time. The only time I would get nags would be after a few minutes of not holding the wheel at all. If I had by arm resting in my lap and my hand on the wheel I wouldn't get anything. It was hardly an inconvenience and to me the nag was working properly because I got nagged when I should have been nagged. Maybe I have a heavy hand.

You all could just do the like the Mercedes S class guys did when those first came out and tie a bottle of coke to the steering wheel. :)