Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's up with Chademo Adapter availability?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because CHAdeMO is a outgoing standard (apart from Japan where it originated) so no new cars are being built with it nor new chargers (in Europe anyway). So demand for them will trend to zero in next few years.
Isn't Nissan still using it? As I understand it, new Leafs and the new Aryia both still come with it. All Electrify America locations have at least one Chademo port.. Demand seems to be there as people are willing to pay hundreds of $ more for them on Ebay.

Reactions: DMateo
Isn't Nissan still using it? As I understand it, new Leafs and the new Aryia both still come with it. All Electrify America locations have at least one Chademo port.. Demand seems to be there as people are willing to pay hundreds of $ more for them on Ebay.
Actually, Nissan announced last year that they are using CCS in Europe and North America for the Aryia.

The CHAdeMO adapter was in stock for about a week again and just sold out the other day. If you go to the product page at the Tesla Store online you can sign up to be notified by email when it is back in stock again.

Because CHAdeMO is a outgoing standard (apart from Japan where it originated) so no new cars are being built with it nor new chargers (in Europe anyway). So demand for them will trend to zero in next few years.
Even in Japan, the existing CHAdeMO connector is being replaced in the near future with a new connector being jointly designed by the CHAdeMO Association and China’s electrical standards group.

Here’s an older article I wrote a couple of years ago that has more technical details:

Crazy how fast these things go. I logged-in as soon as I got the alert they were back in stock and scooped one up. Not sure if I'll ever need one, but they're going for like $700+ on eBay so I bought one just in case in order to avoid paying a premium later.

Even in Japan, the existing CHAdeMO connector is being replaced in the near future with a new connector being jointly designed by the CHAdeMO Association and China’s electrical standards group.

Here’s an older article I wrote a couple of years ago that has more technical details:

There are still many Chademo chargers and I doubt that they will go away as there will be tons of Leafs on the road for many years. I use the Chademo adapter due to many free Chademo chargers in my area..

Reactions: kayak1 and Jeff N
At least in BC, your world is much bigger with a Chademo adapter. Every station that Petrocan, FLO, Fortis or B.C. Hydro puts in has equal number of CCS and Chademo handles. Electrify Canada is the only one that doesn’t. Next to Tesla, Leafs are the most common EV’s sold here. And there is a constant flow of used Leafs coming from the US as well. Bolts are not uncommon but there are literally still 2019 Bolts on dealers lots here. Chademo isn’t going anywhere fast. And 2022 leafs will still be Chademo.

I think companies like EVGo are also buying the adapters to mount into their DC charging stations to charge Tesla (at 50kW). While it may not be the adapters exactly in the same form that we have for our cars, they probably have the internals taken out and put into a box.

At least in BC, your world is much bigger with a Chademo adapter. Every station that Petrocan, FLO, Fortis or B.C. Hydro puts in has equal number of CCS and Chademo handles. Electrify Canada is the only one that doesn’t. Next to Tesla, Leafs are the most common EV’s sold here. And there is a constant flow of used Leafs coming from the US as well. Bolts are not uncommon but there are literally still 2019 Bolts on dealers lots here. Chademo isn’t going anywhere fast. And 2022 leafs will still be Chademo.
A little off topic, but I really don't get it why Bolts are not selling better.. Chevy has dropped their pants on the price and you could (or maybe still can) get a brand new Bolt for like $27k here in the US.. That's a great deal considering that it has similar range to a M3 SR+ for much lower cost. I have test driven Bolts before and other than the seats, I had no complaints.. Sure, it's a small car but for someone who doesn't need the space, the Bolt is a great choice and great value, even though I do think that the best small non Tesla car is the Hyundai Kona Electric. Still got mine even though not for too much longer... I went with the MY as I needed the extra space, towing capacity and Supercharger Network.. If it wasn't for those factors, I would still be using the Kona Electric. It's not comparable to Tesla. Teslas are in a different class when it comes to innovation (even though not in the fit and finish department) and driving experience. Leafs are a great choice for Canada as you guys don't get a lot of hot weather.. Only like 1 or 2 months of warm to hot temperatures.. Here in Florida, Leafs batteries degrade like crazy due to lack of battery cooling. In Summer, Leafs only charge at around 30kw or slower speeds on Chademo as the battery gets too hot when charging faster and the car has no way of cooling down the battery. A Leaf would be the last choice for me here in Florida.

All of the legacy carmakers depend on their dealer networks to sell their cars. I suspect they may be incenting them to sell their EV's to some extent, but with no need for an extended warranty or much service (which is where most dealers make their $$ these days), there isn't much incentive to sell them when they could sell a similar-sized ICE vehicle.

A little off topic, but I really don't get it why Bolts are not selling better.. Chevy has dropped their pants on the price and you could (or maybe still can) get a brand new Bolt for like $27k here in the US.. That's a great deal considering that it has similar range to a M3 SR+ for much lower cost. I have test driven Bolts before and other than the seats, I had no complaints.. Sure, it's a small car but for someone who doesn't need the space, the Bolt is a great choice and great value, even though I do think that the best small non Tesla car is the Hyundai Kona Electric. Still got mine even though not for too much longer... I went with the MY as I needed the extra space, towing capacity and Supercharger Network.. If it wasn't for those factors, I would still be using the Kona Electric. It's not comparable to Tesla. Teslas are in a different class when it comes to innovation (even though not in the fit and finish department) and driving experience. Leafs are a great choice for Canada as you guys don't get a lot of hot weather.. Only like 1 or 2 months of warm to hot temperatures.. Here in Florida, Leafs batteries degrade like crazy due to lack of battery cooling. In Summer, Leafs only charge at around 30kw or slower speeds on Chademo as the battery gets too hot when charging faster and the car has no way of cooling down the battery. A Leaf would be the last choice for me here in Florida.
There are still things about the 2021 and 2022 Chevy Bolt and the slightly longer, larger 2022 Bolt EUV that make these GM EVs less attractive than the competition.

No remaining federal tax credit for GM, at this time, unless Congress extends the tax credit program.
No AWD option
No drive train update (the 60kWh battery and front drive unit from the 2020/2021 Bolt are used without any update in the 2022 Bolt and 2022 Bolt EUV.)
No factory tow hitch option (after market only)
Limited DC Fast Charging Rate (50kW) limits the ability to take long trips in the Bolt or the new 2022 Bolt EUV.

Chevy did address several of the biggest consumer complaints about the Bolt. The interior has been updated and the seats have been redesigned. Adaptive cruise is now available on the 2022 Bolt and 2022 Bolt EUV. GM Supercruise is available on the 2022 Bolt EUV. The Supercruise on the Bolt EUV does not include support for automatic lane changes.

Last edited:
All of the legacy carmakers depend on their dealer networks to sell their cars. I suspect they may be incenting them to sell their EV's to some extent, but with no need for an extended warranty or much service (which is where most dealers make their $$ these days), there isn't much incentive to sell them when they could sell a similar-sized ICE vehicle.
EV's are definitely less business for their service departments.. ICE cars are a gift that keep on giving but EV's not so much.. Other than cabin air filter changes and washer fluid, there isn't much maintenance needed..

They pop up for a day or two a week on the Tesla shop. I had one in my cart, went to check out and it was out of stock. Checked again 3 days later and it was available, was able to check out and it gets here tomorrow.

There are still things about the 2021 and 2022 Chevy Bolt and the slightly longer, larger 2022 Bolt EUV that make these GM EVs less attractive than the competition.

No remaining federal tax credit for GM, at this time, unless Congress extends the tax credit program.
No AWD option
No drive train update (the 60kWh battery and front drive unit from the 2020/2021 Bolt are used without any update in the 2022 Bolt and 2022 Bolt EUV.
No factory tow hitch option (after market only)
Limited DC Fast Charging Rate (50kW) limits the ability to take long trips in the Bolt or the new 2022 Bolt EUV.

Chevy did address several of the biggest consumer complaints about the Bolt. The interior has been updated and the seats have been redesigned. Adaptive cruise is now available on the 2022 Bolt and 2022 Bolt EUV. GM Supercruise is available on the 2022 Bolt EUV. The Supercruise on the Bolt EUV does not include support for automatic lane changes.
Charge rate is definitely an issue with Chevy EV's at this point but GM is working on their new EV platform that won't have those limitations than their current offering. Ford, while not at Tesla level, is one step ahead of Chevy at this point. The Mach E will continue to sell well as they still have the Tax Credit and therefore are lower priced than comparable Teslas. Also, the new electric F150 will sell well. I do think that the Mach E is a great looking car. However, the Mach E is nowhere close to the efficiency of the MY and it's also slower. The MY's efficiency is really incredible for it's size. Looking at similar sized competors like I-Pace, E-Tron or Mach E, they all need much bigger batteries and still get less range than the MY. They are all playing catch up and are years behind Tesla..

Last edited:
Crazy how fast these things go. I logged-in as soon as I got the alert they were back in stock and scooped one up. Not sure if I'll ever need one, but they're going for like $700+ on eBay so I bought one just in case in order to avoid paying a premium later.
If you do long road trips, it's a must. The city where my family lives in northern AZ I have the choice of a CCS EA station with a single CHAdeMO, or a super slow J1772 adapter, otherwise I have to drive to Flagstaff for a charge. Also if I go somewhere where SC's are just maxed out like Primm, NV was yesterday, I can always pop over to a nearby CHAdeMO to top off.

Reactions: Exelion and El joe