Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's up with HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to the forum here. I'm taking delivery of MX soon. Just trying to get the charging solution setup first.
Whats up with HPWC not available for purchase on Tesla website? I sent an inquiry and got no replies. Anybody have insight if they are planning to add back option to enable 48A charging for MX?

Its not available on the website. If you click on it under the price it says "This product is currently unavailable for purchase online"

Its been unavailable for about a week or so. Briefly was available last night but then went away shortly after. Also interested in what is going on with it and if it will be updated for MX. I should be getting MX by the end of the month.

• Helpful
Reactions: Commuter
Here is the message I get when ordering an HPWC

"
Due to an increase in fraudulent orders, all Wall Connector orders from Canada must be verified prior to shipping. To avoid extended delays, we recommend entering your VIN or reservation number on the Cart page during checkout. Wall Connectors can also be purchased over the counter at our Service Center locations if there is concern about the timeliness of order processing. "

Whats up with HPWC not available for purchase on Tesla website? I sent an inquiry and got no replies. Anybody have insight if they are planning to add back option to enable 48A charging for MX?

Looks like you're in SoCal? I found some at the Burbank Service Center last weekend. Call them (818) 480-9217

I called around here the SF Bay area and couldn't find any, so I had someone pick one up for me at Burbank.

Also, if you use a Tesla-recommended electrician to do the install, there's a good chance they have an HPWC to install for you. At least Willow Glen electric here in silicon valley does, they prefer to order and receive the HPWC themselves, that way if there's any damage (sometimes the aluminum front face is dented) they can do the claim and take care of it for you.

Also, if you use a Tesla-recommended electrician to do the install, there's a good chance they have an HPWC to install for you. At least Willow Glen electric here in silicon valley does, they prefer to order and receive the HPWC themselves, that way if there's any damage (sometimes the aluminum front face is dented) they can do the claim and take care of it for you.

That was the plan but decided to go with contractors electrician because it was easier to schedule with garage remodel.

Reactions: drewmcmanus
Who knows, could be a few things... could be that they're preparing to release a new version for Model X that allows for the proper 60A circuit setting; could be that someone decided that Tesla's price was really good and built a business plan around converting them to J1772 EVSE to compete with the other manufacturers; could be that someone needs hundreds of 80A contactors to hatch their mad-evil plans!

P.S. Anyone notice the curious/different WC in Tesla's official "summon" video? :)

New to the forum here. I'm taking delivery of MX soon. Just trying to get the charging solution setup first.

I bought the very last one in stock at the Tesla Factory Service Center last Friday. I don't think they anticipated the number of us that would opt for an HPWC as part of the X ramp.

They now have a white "circus tent" set-up in front of the delivery center which can delivery 20 X's and S's simultaneously for the end-of-quarter rush. We were one of the first to receive delivery there on Tuesday. There was also a Sig Red X being delivered that day. I'll post photos of this tent along with my new X in the appropriate thread.

Called around to several Bay Area SCs last weekend, and the only one that had HPWCs was in San Rafael, which we deemed too far to go. The nice person at the Sunnyvale SC thought they would get more by today, and took my name, but I have not heard from her. We are getting our MX on Monday, and have no great way to charge it! (I'm not complaining--I never thought we would be getting the car this soon!).

There is no longer a product called "HPWC". Tesla changed the name from High Powered Wall Connector to Wall Connector a while back. Regardless, it does seem a refresh may be coming soon and the Model 3 announcement could be a great time to announce it.

There is no longer a product called "HPWC". Tesla changed the name from High Powered Wall Connector to Wall Connector a while back. Regardless, it does seem a refresh may be coming soon and the Model 3 announcement could be a great time to announce it.

I just think it is a matter of supply and demand instead of a refresh since it comes and go from stock at shop.teslamotors.com

Most likely sold out because Model S owners with referrals can refer it to someone for free and Model X deliveries are increasing

Trying to get a HPWC in SoCal. Will have my electrician install next week but he doesn't want to deal with permits. He will be using 2 gauge wire (25 feet) and install a sub panel

I am doing similar. Using a 1/0 AWG from the main panel to subpanel which are next to each other. From there 2AWG SER cable to the WC and 6AWG to my existing Clippercreek HCS60.