Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's up with HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't want to buy a Wall Connector until they have a 48A option for it. You will be missing out on 20% extra wattage during a charge. It's an extra 5.5 miles per hour of charge time given 350Wh/mile

Why not set it to 60? Or, 100 I installed mine on a 100 for future proofing

I will be getting it installed on a 100A circuit for fastest available. (Keep in mind I know nothing about electricity) I realize they may update it soon but I need someway to charge my X other than relying on the local supercharger and a 110 outlet. If it will only be a 5.5 mile per hour difference with a new HPWC then its not really a big deal.

I will be getting it installed on a 100A circuit for fastest available. (Keep in mind I know nothing about electricity) I realize they may update it soon but I need someway to charge my X other than relying on the local supercharger and a 110 outlet. If it will only be a 5.5 mile per hour difference with a new HPWC then its not really a big deal.

I would use higher gauge wire between 2-4 so it would be easier to get a HPWC later onwards

What size circuit breaker did you put this on? Can you set the dip switches to a setting higher than the circuit breaker size X 80% ??

If you set it to 60A will it then charge the Model X at 48 or lower (if you set it lower on the touch screen)?

You *could* install the HPWC with the 80A setting on a 60A breaker, provided you never plugged a car capable of drawing more than 48A into it. It would be an illegal install and wouldn't pass a code compliance check. I would not do that, but I know others who have suggested that.

Here's a scenario in which that won't work right -- your Model X is in for its yearly service and you're given a Model S loaner with dual chargers. You plug it in, and *pop* goes the breaker.

I'm sure we'll see a HPWC soon with the right options for charging.

I don't want to buy a Wall Connector until they have a 48A option for it. You will be missing out on 20% extra wattage during a charge. It's an extra 5.5 miles per hour of charge time given 350Wh/mile

Per Tesla's website on wall connector: "...Operating current (up to 80 amps) will be configured by the installing electrician, allowing the unit to be customized to almost any power source. For the fastest charge rate, install the Wall Connector with an 80 amp or 100 amp circuit breaker. The unit is also capable of being installed on 15, 20, 30, 40, or 50 amp circuit breakers. Charge rates will vary depending on circuit breaker rating. Note that Model S must be equipped with the Dual Chargers option to accept charge currents above 40 amps (50 amp circuit breaker). "

So seems you are in luck and have a dual motor. Let me know if still interested or if coming down to Dallas anytime soon. I might be coming to Austin ~ June 11th (assuming nobody has bought my HPWC), then if still interested will send you an email.

Hopefully it won't be a problem, thanks for the info. When I pointed this out to my electrician he said that is only needed when mounting on metal but it looks like he didn't want to loosen the bolt to attach the ground wire. He was very lazy. I should have insisted but he also got rid of the ground cable so it looks like I will just have to leave it alone.
personal opinion here, this 'laziness' is a direct consequence of no permit/no inspection, he's not holding the bag when something goes wrong,you are.

• Informative
Reactions: K-MTG
personal opinion here, this 'laziness' is a direct consequence of no permit/no inspection, he's not holding the bag when something goes wrong,you are.

I am going to contact another electrician to make sure everything is in order and get a permit. I am surprised that a tesla recommended electrician is violating code and I am positive that most owners wouldn't even notice