Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's up with HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@FlasherZ , Fedex delivered my HPWC today, I can take photos of it if you want... later this evening when I get home. just tell me what parts you want to see close up.

Close-up pics of the wire-attachment lugs on the inside of the HPWC as well as the top-feed bracket, as well as any embossed markings like "10-2 AWG" or similar, with something to reference them against (quarter, dime, etc.) That's the biggest thing I'd look for.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Close-up pics of the wire-attachment lugs on the inside of the HPWC as well as the top-feed bracket, as well as any embossed markings like "10-2 AWG" or similar, with something to reference them against (quarter, dime, etc.) That's the biggest thing I'd look for.

Reactions: pchan
Hard to tell, but rough scale would suggest that #2 will be as tight as it is in the original HPWC and #1 might be impossible.

It might require a junction box to convert the #1 SER to #3 THHN and feed in through a very short nipple.

In essence, there is no direct benefit to run #1 cable from the breaker? #2 should suffice?

It depends upon your wiring method. #3 will suffice if you're using conduit all the way.

If you want to use a cable instead of a conduit, that's where you run into troubles. The NEC requires that NM cable (a/k/a Romex) always, and SER cable when passing in or through thermal insulation, be rated only at the 60 degree column. Even #2 cable is only good to 95A in that column, so you have to go to #1 if you want to be legal.

Is there any type of cable hanger included, or can you wrap the cable around the unit itself?
Just opened the box. It doesn't look like it. Maybe others who've played with it a bit more can chime in on this too.

It looks like you could loop the extra over the main unit but that doesn't seem right. Some kind of hanger on the wall next to it or below it would be more appropriate I think.

As the picture in post 114 shows it was designed not to need a hanger. The end of the cord fits into the charger and the loops of cable are made to set into the recess on the top of the charger. Much more elegant and simpler than the two part unit before IMHO.