Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's up with HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't do the permit, I wonder if that will be an issue when I sell the house?

My Tesla needs a more tesla friendly garage
It can be. When I buy a house, I certainly look for substandard electrical and plumbing work. I also get a professional inspector and if I discovered unpermitted work, I would push back on price for the amount to have it fixed and properly inspected.

I didn't do the permit, I wonder if that will be an issue when I sell the house?

My Tesla needs a more tesla friendly garage
Don't move to Davis, CA. They will make you rip up sprinklers if not installed with a permit. So it depends.

In my county the minimum permit fee is $100. That's what I got since I and a friend did all of the work.

You can get a permit after the fact in many cases. I only had the final on mine and the inspector expected it to be covered with the drywall on it and called me out for not having it covered. :)

After I showed him the drywall pieces all ready to go we spent more time discussing EV's and doing a Tesla demo.:D

Duplex, if you install a new HPWC you might qualify for up to a $1,000 federal rax CREDIT. This might cover the cost difference and you would have the upgrade too. I think the IRS form is 8911 for more detsils to see if you would qualify. The credit is good for this calendar year so you have until December to install it.
It's not just for the HPWC. I got $550 back on the install of my two 14-50 outlets.

Up to $1000?! I got my HPWC for $550 and parts and labor to install a supporting subpanel plus another NEMA 14-50 for backup and charging another EV totaled $1700. Permit would cost me another $300. Should I expect to file a 30% federal tax credit on $2550?

You could be eligible to get the 30% credit back for the 14-50 outlet, HPWC, etc.

I think some people have reported having problems claiming the $7500 tax credit and the 30% installation credit in the same tax year. I installed my 14-50 outlets last year and got $550 back when filing my taxes this year. Next year, I'll apply for the $7500 credit.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
Don't move to Davis, CA. They will make you rip up sprinklers if not installed with a permit. So it depends.

In my county the minimum permit fee is $100. That's what I got since I and a friend did all of the work.

You can get a permit after the fact in many cases. I only had the final on mine and the inspector expected it to be covered with the drywall on it and called me out for not having it covered. :)

After I showed him the drywall pieces all ready to go we spent more time discussing EV's and doing a Tesla demo.:D

Yes, it really depends on the requirements as well. Where I live, building permits are required for new structures but there are no electrical permits or inspections (basically building permits are there to give the assessor a "to-do" item to remember to raise your taxes).

As mentioned upthread, a best practice is to have a home inspector look for signs of substandard work and call out getting it fixed. In most jurisdictions, work that's done to proper standards won't get a second look.

In some jurisdictions, though, work done without permits is subject to rip-out and re-install, even if it would have passed inspection in the first place (and the inspectors will indeed make sure you remove it). That's meant to be a deterrent. Or it's a citable offense or even a misdemeanor - and usually a violation for each day it was that way. The inspector / code officer gets to determine how much of a pain it's going to be for you.

Up to $1000?! I got my HPWC for $550 and parts and labor to install a supporting subpanel plus another NEMA 14-50 for backup and charging another EV totaled $1700. Permit would cost me another $300. Should I expect to file a 30% federal tax credit on $2550?
Iirc you can count the cost of necessary panel upgrade, but not the permit cost. $300 for permit on some electrical changes?! Robbery!

(My permit on solar panels was like $900, based on a project value of $40k)

Duplex, if you install a new HPWC you might qualify for up to a $1,000 federal rax CREDIT. This might cover the cost difference and you would have the upgrade too. I think the IRS form is 8911 for more detsils to see if you would qualify. The credit is good for this calendar year so you have until December to install it.
Most people who can afford to buy a Tesla haven't been able to take advantage of the tax credit for EV charging infrastructure, as the credit goes away if you're subject to AMT. This is unlike the credit for the car itself.

May I suggest paying AMT is a good problem to have?
Indeed. Except my reason for AMT is incentive stock options -- taxed, for AMT purposes and not regular tax purposes, when I exercise, and not when I sell. Which means I have to pay taxes on money I haven't really earned yet. Then hope to get the extra tax back over the next few years as an AMT credit against regular tax.

OT rant about the tax code: I have a business set up as an LLC, so a lot of things flow directly into my personal income tax return. My accountant literally has to track four different depreciation schedules year after year for each piece of equipment. Two federal depreciation schedules for regular tax and then AMT tax, and likewise two different California tax depreciation schedules for AMT and not AMT, since some years I might be paying AMT, some years I might not be. Insane!