Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's up with the web browser in v.9?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
What kind of web browser is this in the new 39.7 version 9 update? It works, but I quickly found several faults.

It doesn't play YouTube videos. Major flaw!!!

On a website of my own, that is HTML 4 coded with nested tables, it doesn't allow individual windows to scroll.

It doesn't play videos, even Windows Media Player .wmv files.

Why didn't Tesla just license Google Chrome to be used as the web browser? Or Internet Explorer (ok, IE is kind of teh suck, I know), or Pale Moon (a FireFox variant), or Firefox?

The browser will work well enough to google something and get basic information, but for many of the things that I do.... it has flaws.

I know, someone will say you shouldn't watch youtube videos while driving. Fine. Make it so it only works when in Park.

Other than the legality, I think Tesla is more concerned with the cellular data costs of video streaming.

EM did talk about having Netflix while supercharging so possibly will eventually allow video while connected to Tesla's Wi-Fi.

It doesn't play YouTube videos. Major flaw!!!
Not a flaw in my opinion. It’s a safety measure. No car manufacturer wants to offer an in-car browser that can play videos, too distracting.

Yes it could conceivably be configured to only play videos when the car is in Park. But really, how important is that capability. To me, very little. You want to watch a video while sitting in your car? Get your phone out (it’s always with you, right?) or use a tablet.

Reactions: Hank42