Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's up with these capacity KWh numbers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't really get the numbers to add up for my S85.
Last charge was to 80% and I have 17% left and have used 32.6 KWh. That would mean 100% is 51.7 KWh. I know there have to be margins but shouldn't I be able to use at least 75 of the available 85???
IMG_20150327_155641_001.jpg

Last edited:
"Since last charge" doesn't take into account any power consumption that occurs when the car is in "P" or "N". So vampire draw while parked doesn't count, nor does it count if you used climate control preconditioning from battery. I believe that time spent sitting at 0 mph does not count, either.

Doesn't seem that far off to me. 36 KWH off an 80% charge of 75KWH(the useable portion of the 85 battery) would leave you 23%, not 17% so you're wondering what happened to the 5%, right?
What? I suggest you redo your calculations...

"Since last charge" doesn't take into account any power consumption that occurs when the car is in "P" or "N". So vampire draw while parked doesn't count, nor does it count if you used climate control preconditioning from battery. I believe that time spent sitting at 0 mph does not count, either.
No long times in P or N with car being on. No climate preconditioning and smart prrconditioning turned off. So only vampire loss would be from car being unused. But it seems like a lot for vampire loss. Last charge was 5-6 days ago.

No long times in P or N with car being on. No climate preconditioning and smart prrconditioning turned off. So only vampire loss would be from car being unused. But it seems like a lot for vampire loss. Last charge was 5-6 days ago.

Power savings on or off? Always connected turned on or off? How much are you running VisibleTesla or the mobile app?

In the worst settings in colder weather, vampire loss can be as much as 5% or so per day (10-12 miles) with something that's polling the car frequently.

With energy saver turned on, always connected turned off, and nothing polling the car, I would count on 2 miles per day (just under 1% per day).

Power savings on or off? Always connected turned on or off? How much are you running VisibleTesla or the mobile app?

In the worst settings in colder weather, vampire loss can be as much as 5% or so per day (10-12 miles) with something that's polling the car frequently.

Power saving off, always connected off.
Visible Tesla: never used it. Mobile app: once or twice since last charge.
Weather: a few degrees below 0 to +10 C when parked. During usage +3 - +10C.

Power saving off, always connected off.
Visible Tesla: never used it. Mobile app: once or twice since last charge.
Weather: a few degrees below 0 to +10 C when parked. During usage +3 - +10C.

Ok, if you have power savings turned off and the weather was around 0 degC, you should expect about what you're seeing. If 5-6 days since last charge, I think you should expect to see about a 15-20% loss due to vampire drain. In a 5 degC garage, with energy saving turned off, I expect to lose about 8 mi (3%) per day.

(For that reason, I have energy saving set to "on", and always connected set to "off". "Always connected" is set to "off" for me because running the TeslaMS suite against it constantly otherwise causes a lot of vampire drain by constantly polling it, but if you don't use it you could set that to "on".)