Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whats up with these cheap NEW chademo adapters on ebay shipping from china?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, no. My electrical system is kind of a mess here. The house is an old 2-story, built back in 1910, and it's been gut rehabbed multiple times over the years. The guy we bought it from about 4 years ago was trying to update and flip it when he wound up in a messy divorce and found himself having to live in it himself while trying to finish redoing it. He had the detached 2 car garage built so he had a place to keep his cars, but clearly did it on a limited budget. (He didn't even have a garage door opener installed, so I had to add one after buying the home.) The electrician who looked over everything last week told me the whole wiring job looked like it "met code, but was done by an amateur who knew *just* enough to make it squeak by". For example, the cabling they used could have carried 240 volts except they didn't use one side of the wiring in it -- so poor planning there. We're also not sure how they ran the wiring from the house to the garage. No metal conduit pipe is visible, and no overhead lines either. So it looks like they may have just buried the cable underground, under the concrete sidewalk and patio, and it's probably not even the proper type to bury.

There's a lot of nonsense here with the circuit breaker boxes too. They have a pair of 100 amp service panels side by side on the basement wall, which are clearly a more recent addition. (Probably had to put them in when the heat pumps were installed.) But there are breakers that are labeled as part of rooms, yet also control things elsewhere. EG. One breaker that says it's for the laundry room seems to also be feeding the garage outlets. And they have an 80 amp breaker supposedly dedicated to the electric stove. But I *think* that one is also running the 120 volt outlets along the kitchen counter because we have 2 microwave ovens and a toaster oven sitting there. All 3 can be happily run at the same time without tripping a breaker, and that always seemed hard to believe. A separate breaker marked "kitchen" turned off the dishwasher, garbage disposal, and one of the overhead lights - but nothing else.

So the short story is: I'm afraid to try to upgrade any of the circuits I've got here. Everything works fine but some of this stuff has to be pretty much running at max capacity, during normal use of items in the house.

Are any of your outlets near your car connected to a 20A breaker instead of a 15A? If so, you could charge using the NEMA 5-20 adapter and get about 42% faster charge rate.

@kingtj - if you have overhead electrical service in your neighborhood, you could see if the utility would give you a separate overhead line direct to the garage with its own meter. That may be your cheapest way to get EV charging to the detached garage. Our utility won't do that for residential though. YMMV.

• Helpful
Reactions: gavine
Seriously .... I didn't pay $90K for my car. I did pay mid $60K range for it, used. But in any case, sure, I guess you can make this joke since it's not a cheap vehicle. But I wouldn't have had enough money to ever buy a car like this if I didn't care about spending my money wisely and saving a few dollars wherever I could! $200 here and $100 there adds up quickly.

buys $90k car, tries to save $200 on charging adapter.

lol

Already considered that (and we do have overhead electrical service). Unfortunately, I was told I live in the ONLY county in Maryland that doesn't allow multiple service drops to one physical address. :(

@kingtj - if you have overhead electrical service in your neighborhood, you could see if the utility would give you a separate overhead line direct to the garage with its own meter. That may be your cheapest way to get EV charging to the detached garage. Our utility won't do that for residential though. YMMV.

Seriously .... I didn't pay $90K for my car. I did pay mid $60K range for it, used. But in any case, sure, I guess you can make this joke since it's not a cheap vehicle. But I wouldn't have had enough money to ever buy a car like this if I didn't care about spending my money wisely and saving a few dollars wherever I could! $200 here and $100 there adds up quickly.

Yes spend money wisely. Buying a non-approved Tesla adapter could end up costing way more than the $200 you might have saved not buying from Tesla. I understand the logic of saving money, but spending wisely is whats important. I would rather spend $5 more to go to the touchless car wash than save that $$ and go to the cheapo-wash mart at the gas station.

Yes, but there's really no evidence this is a non-approved adapter? Every auction listing these on eBay was claiming it was the genuine thing, brand new in the box. And so far, nobody has come on here to say they received one and it was otherwise?

I still have the option to file a PayPal claim against the seller if it's some sort of counterfeit and then I'm out nothing but a bit of my time and a little bit of hassle.

Yes spend money wisely. Buying a non-approved Tesla adapter could end up costing way more than the $200 you might have saved not buying from Tesla. I understand the logic of saving money, but spending wisely is whats important. I would rather spend $5 more to go to the touchless car wash than save that $$ and go to the cheapo-wash mart at the gas station.

Yes, but there's really no evidence this is a non-approved adapter? Every auction listing these on eBay was claiming it was the genuine thing, brand new in the box. And so far, nobody has come on here to say they received one and it was otherwise?

I still have the option to file a PayPal claim against the seller if it's some sort of counterfeit and then I'm out nothing but a bit of my time and a little bit of hassle.

There's no evidence its an approved (Tesla made) adapter either. a lot of the listings I saw did not specifically say "Tesla OEM" or anything along those lines. they simply said "chademo adapter for model s/x" which sounds suspiciously generic to me.

There's no evidence its an approved (Tesla made) adapter either. a lot of the listings I saw did not specifically say "Tesla OEM" or anything along those lines. they simply said "chademo adapter for model s/x" which sounds suspiciously generic to me.

but like he said, theres no indication that it isn't authentic either, where as your statement seem to automatically assume its a knockoff. The reason I don't believe its a knockoff is because have you seen the inside? it has its own processor and everything to communicate with the car... would be VERY difficult to create a knockoff version. I mean its not IMPOSSIBLE, but lets talk about the payoff here? A low volume car with an even lower volume accessory. Most of the people that want the adapter most likely bought from tesla. If its a knockoff, I think we should give the creator a pat on the back for putting the effort which he will most likely never see his investment money back.

Now what IS more likely though is they could be factory rejects in some shape or form. the point people are making is that I wouldn't dismiss it as a knockoff so easily. Saving $200 is not chump change.

Reactions: kingtj and Evoforce
That's really not a very helpful answer, as I've been an eBay user, both buying and selling on there since around 2001-2002.
I've had my share of problems, for sure! (Not the least of which was the time when somebody hacked my account and started trying to fence stolen camera equipment using it. Someone from eBay's security team called me on my cell to inform me about it and suspended the account for me before I even realized it was going on. But I was stuck creating a new account and losing all of my existing positive feedback, which sucked.)

But by being careful about what I try to buy and who I get it from, I've bought hundreds of items that were just fine. Often, eBay is the single best source for computer accessories you need. (Just one example? If you have a previous generation HP Proliant server and need replacement hard drives for it? HP will charge an outrageous premium for them, and most vendors will follow their lead -- trying to scare you into paying $500-700 for a 2TB drive because you "can't afford to mess up an expensive server like that with inferior hardware". Totally ridiculous. There are vendors on eBay who get ahold of overstock of these drives, new in the packaging, or sell certified good pulls from servers taken out of service, which will cost you as little as $85 each. Exact same part HP wants so much money for. HUGE savings if you're adding 10 or so to a server at a time.)

I've had enough experiences to know never to buy anything off eBay. Run away.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Naonak
Used one this weekend no issues to report, purchased from Ebay as well. It was said to be a Tesla owner who's car was totaled in an accident and didn't need it anymore. Bought in 2016 and never used. Had what appeared to be genuine marks on it so I pulled the trigger.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
That's really not a very helpful answer, as I've been an eBay user, both buying and selling on there since around 2001-2002.
I've had my share of problems, for sure! (Not the least of which was the time when somebody hacked my account and started trying to fence stolen camera equipment using it. Someone from eBay's security team called me on my cell to inform me about it and suspended the account for me before I even realized it was going on. But I was stuck creating a new account and losing all of my existing positive feedback, which sucked.)

But by being careful about what I try to buy and who I get it from, I've bought hundreds of items that were just fine. Often, eBay is the single best source for computer accessories you need. (Just one example? If you have a previous generation HP Proliant server and need replacement hard drives for it? HP will charge an outrageous premium for them, and most vendors will follow their lead -- trying to scare you into paying $500-700 for a 2TB drive because you "can't afford to mess up an expensive server like that with inferior hardware". Totally ridiculous. There are vendors on eBay who get ahold of overstock of these drives, new in the packaging, or sell certified good pulls from servers taken out of service, which will cost you as little as $85 each. Exact same part HP wants so much money for. HUGE savings if you're adding 10 or so to a server at a time.)
The last few times I've sold items on eBay to buyers with excellent feedback and hundreds of transactions, each time the buyer tried to use the NAD scam (item not as described) to extort money from me in lieu of filing a NAD claim and having eBay force me to return. Although I've prevailed in every situation and my own diligent efforts led to each of those scammers being caught, I've found that the risks outweigh the rewards. In my case, anyway.

I buy and sell stuff on Ebay quite regularly and haven't had any problems to speak of since the late 1990's. Just bought another HTC Vive headset as a matter of fact, arrived today. All of my brake kits come from eBay, as do most of my car parts. Never had a single problem, except minor stuff you have with brick-and-mortar stores and that sort of thing.

Just to follow up on this whole saga?

My adapter said it was estimated to arrive by June 13th. It's now the 22nd. and still no sign of it. I filed a complaint with eBay, saying it hadn't arrived and they tried to contact the seller to get tracking info. The seller never responded, so they refunded all of my money.

Interestingly though, I saw positive feedback on the seller's account for a recent transaction where someone else bought another Chademo adapter of his. And judging by the date he paid for his auction and the date he received it and left the feedback -- it took 14 days or so longer for him to get his than the estimated time eBay showed for my delivery.

Therefore, I suppose it's possible the adapter could still show up for me this afternoon or early next week. If it actually does, I guess I got it free! More likely though, I'm thinking the seller never really shipped my order -- either by mistake or purposefully. He clearly sells a LOT of merchandise but it's an assortment of random things that all look to me like typical sales from mainland China.

• Informative
Reactions: Cosmacelf