Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's up with this now? - 3 weeks of ownership and several problems...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BCNY

May 20, 2019
NYC
I've got my brand new model 3 dual motor about 3 weeks ago.

The ruber seals around the Window were not ok (on 3 of the 4 doors). Took it to the service center and they adjusted it. Now it is acceptable.

Then I got a message on my screen "power reduced, front motor disabled". Service center informed me that it is a known software bug and will be fixed with an update. No ETA. Told me to reboot the car, then leave it, lock, come back... That cleared the issue, but it happened again later. Am I supposed to keep doing this every time it happens until I receive a software update, nobody knows when???

Then earlier this week I noticed a crack on the rear glass. Contacted them, sent pictures and I had an appointment for the 11th... They emailed me cancelling my appointment because they don't have the parts and I will need to wait for the parts to get there. Asked for an estimate on when the parts will arrive, didn't get a response yet.

Now this just happened:
MVIMG_20190607_203628.jpg

I've had several cars in my life and never had so many different problems within less than a month of ownership.

I'm specially not happy with the fact that Tesla doesn't seem to have any obligation to fix any of the issues anytime soon.

My previous cars, I would drop at the shop and they would rush to get it solved and out of their space ASAP.

By telling a client that "you need to wait for the part" or even worse, "you need to wait for a software update", I feel like I will have to live with whatever issues show up for a completely undetermined amount of time, with apparently no consequences.

I really want to support the company and the product, the car drives great, but Tesla is making really hard for me to trust them or the product.

With all that said, I will open yet another service ticket, this time for the camera...

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and bro1999
My front motor has NEVER been "disabled". (Knock on dash) so I wonder what software they are blaming that on. I've had my car since Nov- 2018 and on version 2019.6.2.

Hang in there . The car is soooo worth a couple hiccups. Most little glitches go away as mysteriously as they come.

Late March '19 owner here (LR RWD) and many more issues than rationally reasonable for a brand new car as well. Despite though, I am happy with the car, and Tesla Service has been fantastic to me.

Hoping this is it for you, and the future is problem free!

Reactions: BCNY
I must admit some of this mystifies me.

Other than a slight door misalignment and roof glass slightly off center I haven't experienced anything like this motor disabled issue. Early on I got a couple of issues that required a reboot (power reduced, I think), but that was only twice over 6 months and last occured in January. Right now the worst thing I have is my reverse camera view is occasionally blank, but a lot of us seem to see that one.

Tesla's are essentially the Apple of the car world; there are only so many options/configurations. Based on range this looks like a LR dual motor like mine, yet it is getting issues I have never seen that appear to be software related.

And I say all this while working at a tech startup where software issues are a daily occurance, yet in our case there are many variables with customer infrastructures that introduce a ton of randomness into the day to day operation of our product.

Reactions: CarlK and BCNY
Sorry to hear about your troubles - and as a new owner (4 days) with problems already, a bit concerned too. At least you can get through to service for help, that doesn't seem possible here in Tempe AZ. I've scheduled through the app, but I don't like that Tesla doesn't seem to care that I'll have to go without AC for 2 weeks in 100+ degree heat! Paying $60k for a car should get me better service than this.

• Helpful
Reactions: sceptic and BCNY
The positive thoughts really help, thanks!

But coming from the past 10 years with 3 different BMWs where my only issue was a panoramic moon roof in the last car (X5M) that got completely replaced in 1 week from the moment I informed them, so far it has been a terrible experience with a product that was supposed to be a car in the first place. Then I started reading this forum and found several other people with problems...

I hope the company can put it together and solve these issues, because for me, it kind of ruins the whole experience to have to worry about reliability.

Sounds like BMW is a better car for you. There must be some mysterious force there not wanting you to own a Tesla.

Sad to realize that after making an expensive decision.

Mysterious force also known as bugs, quality control problems and unavailability of parts, as you can read in several other threads. We have to call things what they are.

It is ok to say that maybe these issues are because it is a relatively new company and even newer product. It is not ok to ignore all the issues reported on several threads and label them as "mysterious force".

I was really happy with the car during the first week. The rubber seals issue was fixed, service center was great...
But then I have a cracked rear glass. Come here and see several others reporting the same issue. Motor disabled: Tesla itself tells me it's a bug. Nothing mysterious at all.

I'm happy for you that your car is OK and I hope it stays like this! That is what I wanted for me as well. But as I said, apparently QC is not so great.

I'm on the rear glass waiting list too. Hopefully they will release a batch for warranty/collision cases "soon" (weeks, months, who knows).

My car seems a bit cursed too, although I've not yet had a motor issue.

Two weeks into ownership of my LR dual motor (Dec 2018 build), my MCU/screen started glitching, and then it evolved into crashing multiple times in just a 10 minute drive (loss of speedometer, turn signal confirmation, etc.). I had the MCU replaced by a very jovial local service center crew at the time. Now, they won't even return my emails anymore (when I reported my fractured rear glass).

Also not long ago, a door handle damper(?) fell off inside the driver door panel when I pulled it. I have this on the work order once they get the glass in.

It's annoying, and I do wonder how much longer the novelty aspect of the car will help me keep my cool until they can repair my car. I am thankful I can still drive the car while I wait, knowing that there are many others out there who are in collision cases, who have undrivable cars, and are stuck in the same "service hell".

• Informative
Reactions: BCNY
I had the same front motor warning in my P3, but it has since gone away. I’ve only had mine 2 weeks and the 16.3 update corrected that warning. Most of the issues seem to be corrected through software updates, I’m sure that will be one of them.

Just an update, after my first experience with the Tempe AZ service Center... Well, as I said before it's nearly impossible to reach the SC by phone. So instead I just dropped in - and was greeted by a very warm and knowledgable staff, very willing to help. All immediate issues solved, thanks especially to Andrew. Great experience!