Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WHATS WITH THE FREAKIN LEAKIN COMPUTER SCREENS-RIDICULOUS!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 P90D GARAGE QUEEN WITH 37K MILES. I PAID A $144,000.00 OCTOBER 2015 NEW. I NEVER LEFT OUT IN THE SUN OR NIGHT AND BOTH SCREENS STARTED THE DEADLY SCREEN SAP LEAK. THIS TOXIC SUBSTANCE THAT HAS THE CONSISTENCY OF TREE SAP LEAKED ALL OVER MY RAYBANS AND NOW MY SCREENS HAVE BUBBLES, STREAKS AND LEAKS. THE SERVICE CENTER IN ORLANDO TRIED TO PLAY DUMB WHEN I LOOK ON THE INTERNET, IT SEEMS LIKE A COMMON PROBLEM. THEY REFUSE TO COVER IT UNDER THE DRIVE TRAIN WARRANTY EVEN THOUGH THE CAR WON'T OPERATE WITH OUT IT. THEY OFFERED ME NO 6CUSTOMER CONSIDERATION EVEN THOUGH I ORDERED A $75K CYBERTRUCK.

$2,500.00 TO REPLACE BOTH SCREENS THAT ARE DRIPPING ON MY CLOTHES AND CARPETS. HOW STUPID IS THIS. I LEAVE MY LAPTOP IN MY CARS AND THE SCREENS DON'T LEAK. WHAT KIND OF CHEAP SCREENS ARE THEY PUTTING IN A $144K CAR?

IT APPEARS THAT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRANSPORTATION SAFETY BUREAU IS GOING TO FORCE TESLA TO DO WHAT THEY SHOULD DO: RECALL.

BTW-I AM CALLING TO CANCEL MY ORDER FOR THE CYBER TRUCK TOMORROW. TESLA OBVIOUSLY DOES NOT CARE ABOUT REPEAT BUSINESS.

...WHAT KIND OF CHEAP SCREENS ARE THEY PUTTING IN A $144K CAR?...

Cars do go broke so that's why I need my basic warrant and ESA.

If you bought ESA, that would nicely cover this problem.

Since you read it on the internet, the next popular thing for your MCU (screen) is its memory will be worn out and you'll know it when you need to fix it sooner or later.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I said that you are about 6 months away before your screen dumps some kind of tree like sap of sticky stuff from out of your computer screen and your dash screen in front of your steering wheel. You'll understand when it happens. Something to look forward to.

• Love
ParIt of their problem is they put the power amplifier at the bottom of the screen and 3 air conditioning ducts at the top of the screen creating an entire weather system inside the liquid crystal screen. In other words, cooking the screen at the bottom and ice cooling it at the top. Combine that with a radically raked windshield that heats the liquid again when you park the car. Something's gotta give.

You would think that a company that builds rocketships might understand the principles of Thermal Dynamics.

I have a 2014 MS that has also been garaged both at home and work since purchase. Screens have been just fine. Fine that is until I had to leave it at the SC for a new Tegra board last month. I was so pleased that I had to pay only $323 instead of the initial quote of $2500.

But, the car sat out in the FL sun at the SC for 2 weeks, and when I got it back, there I saw the bubbles on the dash screen. So far no dripping on the carpet. Just gonna live with it I guess.

• Informative
2015 P90D GARAGE QUEEN WITH 37K MILES. I PAID A $144,000.00 OCTOBER 2015 NEW. I NEVER LEFT OUT IN THE SUN OR NIGHT AND BOTH SCREENS STARTED THE DEADLY SCREEN SAP LEAK. THIS TOXIC SUBSTANCE THAT HAS THE CONSISTENCY OF TREE SAP LEAKED ALL OVER MY RAYBANS AND NOW MY SCREENS HAVE BUBBLES, STREAKS AND LEAKS. THE SERVICE CENTER IN ORLANDO TRIED TO PLAY DUMB WHEN I LOOK ON THE INTERNET, IT SEEMS LIKE A COMMON PROBLEM. THEY REFUSE TO COVER IT UNDER THE DRIVE TRAIN WARRANTY EVEN THOUGH THE CAR WON'T OPERATE WITH OUT IT. THEY OFFERED ME NO 6CUSTOMER CONSIDERATION EVEN THOUGH I ORDERED A $75K CYBERTRUCK.

$2,500.00 TO REPLACE BOTH SCREENS THAT ARE DRIPPING ON MY CLOTHES AND CARPETS. HOW STUPID IS THIS. I LEAVE MY LAPTOP IN MY CARS AND THE SCREENS DON'T LEAK. WHAT KIND OF CHEAP SCREENS ARE THEY PUTTING IN A $144K CAR?

IT APPEARS THAT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRANSPORTATION SAFETY BUREAU IS GOING TO FORCE TESLA TO DO WHAT THEY SHOULD DO: RECALL.

BTW-I AM CALLING TO CANCEL MY ORDER FOR THE CYBER TRUCK TOMORROW. TESLA OBVIOUSLY DOES NOT CARE ABOUT REPEAT BUSINESS.

Known problem that has been resolved with newer screens (that can yellow). But that too can now be fixed by getting the “UV treatment”.

So yes it was a problem but it now seems to be resolved.

You could probably pick up a used screen fairly cheap if you didn’t want to upgrade to MCU2. The 2500 is for the upgraded MCU which does seem to be worth it for many people due to the speed enhancements.

The leaky screen would have been fixed for free under the normal warranty. Too bad it didn’t leak last year for you.

Last edited:
  • Funny
The screen manufacturer that supplies these screens that leak offered 5 different levels of build quality. From consumer grade to industrial grade. Elon went with the cheap ones. The vehicle can not be driven without the screen, so therefore it is just as much a part of the drive train as the motors, the wiring, the charging receptacle. Equivalent of a golf cart with out a "controller". Therefore, they should find coverage, and they will after I take them to court. It's just a shame that I have to do this, because I will have cancelled two future orders (2 Cybertrucks-one to drive and one to flip). So between this $144k pos and another 2 trucks that is about $300k in lost business.

Obviously, TESLA is making TOO MUCH money, because they just don't care about customer service and I worked at Ford for many years. Their attitude will come back to bite them in their ass!

The screen manufacturer that supplies these screens that leak offered 5 different levels of build quality. From consumer grade to industrial grade. Elon went with the cheap ones. The vehicle can not be driven without the screen, so therefore it is just as much a part of the drive train as the motors, the wiring, the charging receptacle. Equivalent of a golf cart with out a "controller". Therefore, they should find coverage, and they will after I take them to court. It's just a shame that I have to do this, because I will have cancelled two future orders (2 Cybertrucks-one to drive and one to flip). So between this $144k pos and another 2 trucks that is about $300k in lost business.

Obviously, TESLA is making TOO MUCH money, because they just don't care about customer service and I worked at Ford for many years. Their attitude will come back to bite them in their ass!

I suppose it is too bad. I’ll admit I haven’t seen many people get this upset over something that can be fixed for under 1k. Especially if that’s the first “big” expense since 2015.

Im replacing my MCU1 with MCU2 just to have the upgrade. It’s not failing at all. That will be the only major expense I’ve paid since buying new ~4 years ago. So it’s worth it to me.

• Funny
I am a car collector with 22 internal combustion engines and 1 TESLA P90D LUDA PLUS-LEAKER MODEL with only 37,000 miles on it. It's not the money, I have plenty of that. It's the principle. It's NOT under $1k, it's over $2k. Maybe if it didn't take 2 or 3 days to get someone at Tesla to return a phone call or if I could take it down to a local dealer who is a "businessman", I would be more reasonable. My choice to replace this piece of crap with a 2021 Cadillac Escalade that is actually $50k more than a loaded Cybertruck is based on the fact that Cadillac has a much bigger screen that won't leak because it is OLED!