TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What's with the tabs on the roof above the doors?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Robecology, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Robecology

Robecology Member

Just got my new Tesla Sat June 15th. Great ride, great everything. Got out of car, noticed tabs above doors, on roof. Curious as to what they're used for? They seem a bit flimsy; any problems with them? Any suggestions for covering them? Thanks,

Robecology

2. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

Roof rack.

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

They are for some as yet to be developed roof racks. (I find the little flaps are almost always up after going through a car wash blow dryer).

4. aaronw

aaronw Member

They are for a roof rack and yes, they are delicate. I broke one of them and it ended up costing me $275 to fix. They had to replace the entire roof panel ($100 for the panel, $175 labor).

5. hans

hans P631

I had one roof rack cover break off after a car wash. Tesla popped out the plastic piece and replaced it with a new one under warranty.

6. Teriyaki88

Teriyaki88 Member

I broke mine too. It flips opposite way from my old mercedes. Argh. I decided to superglue the broken piece since I'm not going to use a roof rack.

7. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I had thought that someone would make a tab that screws into the rack mounting threads and then pushes down flat. That would save replacing the entire strip and if you lost one, it wouldn't cost much to replace. It would also keep crud off the threads.

8. Robecology

Robecology Member

Delicate "rack flaps" on roof.

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. Tesla, take note; this is NOT one of your smarter designs. Any suggestions for taping them down? Haven't hit the car wash yet; and care for the car myself; but now see the value of perhaps a clear, smartly cut (curved edges, equal sized) clear tape. Anyone try this yet?

9. huntjo

huntjo Member

Been through automatic car warsh innumerable times and never had a problem.

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Went through an automatic car wash just this morning. Two of the four flaps were up after going through the blower. No problem other than I had to flip them back down to the closed position again.

11. Ven Rala

Ven Rala Member

Been thru auto car wash couple of times, no problem, did not flip open