Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's with the tabs on the roof above the doors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my new Tesla Sat June 15th. Great ride, great everything. Got out of car, noticed tabs above doors, on roof. Curious as to what they're used for? They seem a bit flimsy; any problems with them? Any suggestions for covering them? Thanks,

They are for some as yet to be developed roof racks. (I find the little flaps are almost always up after going through a car wash blow dryer).

I had thought that someone would make a tab that screws into the rack mounting threads and then pushes down flat. That would save replacing the entire strip and if you lost one, it wouldn't cost much to replace. It would also keep crud off the threads.

Delicate "rack flaps" on roof.

Just got my new Tesla Sat June 15th. Great ride, great everything. Got out of car, noticed tabs above doors, on roof. Curious as to what they're used for? They seem a bit flimsy; any problems with them? Any suggestions for covering them? Thanks,

Robecology

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. Tesla, take note; this is NOT one of your smarter designs. Any suggestions for taping them down? Haven't hit the car wash yet; and care for the car myself; but now see the value of perhaps a clear, smartly cut (curved edges, equal sized) clear tape. Anyone try this yet?

Delicate "rack flaps" on roof.

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. Tesla, take note; this is NOT one of your smarter designs. Any suggestions for taping them down? Haven't hit the car wash yet; and care for the car myself; but now see the value of perhaps a clear, smartly cut (curved edges, equal sized) clear tape. Anyone try this yet?
There are places that do clear bug shields, it’s like a wrap, you could cover it with that, or have a professional do it...