Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's with the "Verified owner" BS on Tesla's official forums?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I didn't see an option to remove the audible warnings for things like "you're going to hit the car in front of you"

I know my cars extremely well

Clearly you don't know this car "very well". You saying that would suggest that you have read the manual very well also which clearly you have not. There is a setting to remove the warnings for "you're going to hit the car in front of you" and it is in the manual, and it is in the car menus.

I don't have a problem with you not knowing something, but don't bring up your "extensive" perfect driving record and abilities and then go complaining about something that is defined in the manual, and is found by also just by going through the menu in the car.

I wasn't going to tell you where it was and force you to find it yourself but I'll help you out.. page 90 of the current(May 16, 2019) manual online.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and Jaguar
So I didn't see an option to remove the audible warnings for things like "you're going to hit the car in front of you" Automatic Emergency Braking (toggle left, off) or "You're going to hit the curb in the drive threw (There is a speaker button that pops up that you can change to silent), or on the road you are on because the lane is drifting to the left and you haven't yet started your left drift to match the curve" (Lane Departure Avoidance (Off). I've had friends in the vehicle with me as well, while we are driving, where all of the sudden it starts beeping, and they are like "WTF is that about?!?!" and we look at the display to see the vehicle in front of us is red, yet I'm not near about to hit the person, and I was able to slow down to compensate for their slowing down, only using regenerative braking, so obviously it wasn't anywhere near a close call (Forward Collision Warning (Off or Late),. What would this feature be called to disable it, and does it just disable the sounds? As I said before, I do like the feature where it will tell you how close you are to a curb, or other objects that are outside your view (Were you not just complaining about curbs).

This is great and Tesla has listened to you.
Forward Collision Warning (Off or Late)
Lane Departure Avoidance (Off)
Automatic Emergency Braking (toggle left, off)
Close Objects (Click the silent speaker icon that pops up)

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
This is great and Tesla has listened to you.
Forward Collision Warning (Off or Late)
Lane Departure Avoidance (Off)
Automatic Emergency Braking (toggle left, off)
Close Objects (Click the silent speaker icon that pops up)
Already have all of that stuff turned off. Two of the features turn themselves back on every time, and I still get beeping (Had one the other day, someone making a right hand turn suddenly without blinker or warning, slamming on their brakes, but staying in the lane, so I merged left to avoid, and had my speakers yelling at me. Not a time to have a distracting alarm screaming at you when you are taking evasive maneuvers. I didn't see a speaker option to silence it, but I was in the middle of an evasive maneuver, so I didn't have the time to pause everything I was doing to look for a silence button on the screen.

Clearly you don't know this car "very well". You saying that would suggest that you have read the manual very well also which clearly you have not. There is a setting to remove the warnings for "you're going to hit the car in front of you" and it is in the manual, and it is in the car menus.

I don't have a problem with you not knowing something, but don't bring up your "extensive" perfect driving record and abilities and then go complaining about something that is defined in the manual, and is found by also just by going through the menu in the car.

I wasn't going to tell you where it was and force you to find it yourself but I'll help you out.. page 90 of the current(May 16, 2019) manual online.
I was talking about knowing how the vehicle handles and understanding it's physical limitations in performance (IE: How fast it can decelerate in an emergency, how hard of a turn you can make before the tires start to lose grip etc). With how many items I get that have dictionary sized manuals, I'd be a year older and have near the same knowledge base I have now, had I taken the time to read every one. I'm working on renovating a restaurant at the moment, and in a week, we had about 5 inches thick of manuals stacked up from various pieces of equipment, and I haven't even received the bulk of the equipment. The Ice machine alone had a manual that was a good 50+ pages long! I expect things like this vehicle to be intuitive. I've gone through each menu on the screen. I've turned off every warning option I could find, but it still screams at me in various instances.

Reactions: Msjulie and Ulmo
I want to lodge a complaint about features, and I can't, because I need to be a verified owner? My username and password is attached to my car... what else do they want from me?

This beeping warning crap has got to stop. This forcing you into safety features that WILL cause accidents needs to stop. I can't go through a drive thru without getting beeps at least 10 times, warning me that I may hit a curb that I see in front of me and will not hit. I have had a time where I was close to a parked car on a busy street, and needed to accelerate into 45 mph traffic quickly when the car automatically applied brakes thinking I would hit the car in front of me that I would not have hit. That sudden brakes with my diagonal into traffic almost caused a car accident.

I also had a moment where I needed to suddenly merge out of a lane of traffic into another, and my vehicle tried to force me back into the lane I was in, thinking I was drifting and was going to get in an accident if it didn't correct my driving habits! The last thing I need is having to make a split second decision, and then my car beeping at me, drawing my eyes to a console that's warning me of what I can already see and am making evasive maneuvers to avoid!

I'm 38 with no joke, 1mil+ miles under my belt (no exaggeration). In my lifetime I've had 0 at fault accidents, and very few actual accidents in general. I learn my vehicle to the point where I know it's exact drift limits in wet and dry conditions. I've been able to take past vehicles and do a 180 degree drift into a parking space and end up perfectly centered and straight. While the Tesla focuses on making sure you never drift, the point is that I know any vehicle I choose to drive extremely well, and don't need buzzers to let me know what's going on. I appreciate the visible notifications as to how close I'm getting to a curb stop I can't see, and that has been helpful, but I don't need it beeping because I'm backing up next to some overhanging plants I can see and I'm about to hit a solid object according to the Tesla, and it will destroy my vehicle. It's some leaves... leave me alone!
That forum is not great. If you post complaints about your car you will get flamed. Don’t bother.

• Informative
The attitude someone brings with how they bring up their complaint determines the type of response. You cant just go anywhere and scream and yell and expect to get a perfect response, or any help at all.
Thanks derotam, you’re right. I post there very infrequently. When I browse I seem to find newbies are dismissed many times out of hand. This forum and TOO I find to be very helpful.

I’m still trying to figure out how you’ve driven (no exaggeration) 45,454 miles a year since you were 16....
Live in San Diego, work in Orange County, Los Angeles, and sometimes as far as Santa Barbara. Easy to drive that many miles when your round trip from your house to your office alone, before you go to a client house is 100 miles. You go where the work is though, and in my industry (high end audio/video/automation systems), you go to where the people live who can afford that stuff, which are Beverly Hills, Newport Beach, Santa Barbara etc.

One of my first jobs in the industry, I worked for, for 8 years. I lived in Oceanside, my office was in El Cajon, and I'd frequently do jobs in Orange County or LA. Driving to El Cajon was 50 miles one way, just to pick up parts, then go 100+ miles north to get to my job. Add to that scheduling service calls with multiple customers spread across 3 counties. Rack up miles real fast.

Reactions: dmurphy
Yes, you are too cool for all the nanny systems on the car. You don't need or want them, yet they are still there for the typical mass of plebes. You hoped this car would provide everything you ever wanted, but it doesn't.
They are annoyances that hinder more than they help. Eventually, people will get used to ignoring them, and they still won't do their job. Like some cars have the little warning light in your left/right mirrors that tell you when a car is in your blind spot. As people are passing you and you are passing them, it's constantly blinking, and you eventually filter it out as it's too much useless knowledge. It's only useful if you intend to make a lane change when it's notifying you, but since it's notifying you the other 99% of the time you don't need the notification, you learn to ignore it entirely as it's just a distraction. The feature becomes useless at that point.

Live in San Diego, work in Orange County, Los Angeles, and sometimes as far as Santa Barbara. Easy to drive that many miles when your round trip from your house to your office alone, before you go to a client house is 100 miles. You go where the work is though, and in my industry (high end audio/video/automation systems), you go to where the people live who can afford that stuff, which are Beverly Hills, Newport Beach, Santa Barbara etc.

One of my first jobs in the industry, I worked for, for 8 years. I lived in Oceanside, my office was in El Cajon, and I'd frequently do jobs in Orange County or LA. Driving to El Cajon was 50 miles one way, just to pick up parts, then go 100+ miles north to get to my job. Add to that scheduling service calls with multiple customers spread across 3 counties. Rack up miles real fast.

It is actually possible without realizing how quick it goes.

Back at the turn of the century,, I used to drive what I called "the triangle". I lived about 50 miles from my office, which was about 50 miles from my girlfriend's house, which was about 50 miles from my home. It was truly about an (imperfect) triangle as it would get. Just the work-girlfriend-home trip was 150 miles a day; "only" 100 if I just went to work and straight back. I was averaging about 40-45,000 miles per year then. Blew through 3 head gaskets, 6 sets of brake rotors, and numerous other problems on my 2000 Pontiac Grand Am.

Now I have a Tesla in the driveway, work from home, and have been happily married to that beautiful girlfriend for 15 years now....

My, how I've grown up. :)

• Love
@dmurphy I have to admit, I chuckled at your signature. I've never been one of those "I drive clean energy. Do you?" kind of people that do custom plates and have a bunch of hippie green energy bumper stickers designed to shame anyone driving an ICE vehicle type of person, and I've never been a fan of those individuals either, but I had to chuckle at your "Smells like dead dinosaurs" comment! Clever! ;)

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: dmurphy and Ulmo
I have had a time where I was close to a parked car on a busy street, and needed to accelerate into 45 mph traffic quickly when the car automatically applied brakes thinking I would hit the car in front of me that I would not have hit. That sudden brakes with my diagonal into traffic almost caused a car accident.
That happened to me back in 2017, too, and I didn't even have AP feature, just the AP2 hardware. I think it was likely part of why I decided I wanted to sell it early. I'm glad to know Tesla installed a feature to turn it off, but not happy that they require you to do it every drive.
It's some leaves... leave me alone!
At least the leaves won't kill you. The Mercedes I drive has a button I can push to turn off parking warnings. Doesn't the Tesla? I see it must be a feature that can be turned off, but how many screens deep is it? On my Mercedes, it's a dash button, no screens to dig through.
BTW, drifting is illegal in California, where you appear to be. If you ever pulled a stunt like drifting into a parking space near me, I would call the cops.
You sound like you are a Peking or Moscow National, and you need to get your quota for the month. Have any bonuses for sending anyone to the gulags?
Already have all of that stuff turned off. Two of the features turn themselves back on every time, and I still get beeping (Had one the other day, someone making a right hand turn suddenly without blinker or warning, slamming on their brakes, but staying in the lane, so I merged left to avoid, and had my speakers yelling at me. Not a time to have a distracting alarm screaming at you when you are taking evasive maneuvers. I didn't see a speaker option to silence it, but I was in the middle of an evasive maneuver, so I didn't have the time to pause everything I was doing to look for a silence button on the screen.
That also happened to me in 2017. I never complained about it because I was so sick of it almost trying to kill me twice that I thought the errant beeping was of a "lesser" concern and Tesla would have to fix it soon. Boy was I wrong.
I’m still trying to figure out how you’ve driven (no exaggeration) 45,454 miles a year since you were 16....
2012-2017 I was averaging 45K/year. Last two years about half that (old age sucks in some ways; my back can't handle the bumps and cramps from sitting in uncomfortable seats any more).

Last edited:
@dmurphy I have to admit, I chuckled at your signature. I've never been one of those "I drive clean energy. Do you?" kind of people that do custom plates and have a bunch of hippie green energy bumper stickers designed to shame anyone driving an ICE vehicle type of person, and I've never been a fan of those individuals either, but I had to chuckle at your "Smells like dead dinosaurs" comment! Clever! ;)

I’m not either an eco-poseur either. Being honest, my “carbon footprint” is still pretty huge. We use a ton of electricity at home powering all sorts of electronics and pool pumps and such. I take about 120 flights a year for work, so that’s not quite ecologically sound either. The “green” aspect of things was quite far down on my list of reasons to buy Model 3. I even let the DMV assign my plate number; I don’t ‘do’ bumper stickers or rolling ads or even dealer advertising (yeah, I’m that guy who takes off the dealer badge from his car.)

But I had a small moment of inspiration when writing that signature!

I used all my creativity there, so I’m sure I’ll be witty again sometime around 2024 ... For now, you’re better off watching c-span for creative content.

• Funny
Reactions: hcdavis3
"I see it must be a feature that can be turned off, but how many screens deep is it? On my Mercedes, it's a dash button, no screens to dig through"

No screens to dig through. On the display next to the car, when parking there's a little speaker icon(at least I think it's a speaker) to turn off parking warning beeps, they stay off until you click the little x again

I want to lodge a complaint about features, and I can't, because I need to be a verified owner? My username and password is attached to my car... what else do they want from me?

This beeping warning crap has got to stop. This forcing you into safety features that WILL cause accidents needs to stop. I can't go through a drive thru without getting beeps at least 10 times, warning me that I may hit a curb that I see in front of me and will not hit. I have had a time where I was close to a parked car on a busy street, and needed to accelerate into 45 mph traffic quickly when the car automatically applied brakes thinking I would hit the car in front of me that I would not have hit. That sudden brakes with my diagonal into traffic almost caused a car accident.

I also had a moment where I needed to suddenly merge out of a lane of traffic into another, and my vehicle tried to force me back into the lane I was in, thinking I was drifting and was going to get in an accident if it didn't correct my driving habits! The last thing I need is having to make a split second decision, and then my car beeping at me, drawing my eyes to a console that's warning me of what I can already see and am making evasive maneuvers to avoid!

I'm 38 with no joke, 1mil+ miles under my belt (no exaggeration). In my lifetime I've had 0 at fault accidents, and very few actual accidents in general. I learn my vehicle to the point where I know it's exact drift limits in wet and dry conditions. I've been able to take past vehicles and do a 180 degree drift into a parking space and end up perfectly centered and straight. While the Tesla focuses on making sure you never drift, the point is that I know any vehicle I choose to drive extremely well, and don't need buzzers to let me know what's going on. I appreciate the visible notifications as to how close I'm getting to a curb stop I can't see, and that has been helpful, but I don't need it beeping because I'm backing up next to some overhanging plants I can see and I'm about to hit a solid object according to the Tesla, and it will destroy my vehicle. It's some leaves... leave me alone!
Wow are you like a real life stunt driver, or just another jacka$$ who thinks he is. Cause I’m sure you perform all these marvelous tricks on a closed road in Mexico right. Do you also speak 5 languages and had feed abandoned tiger cubs in your spare time?