Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's with these wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I admit that the first wheel to be cracked was my fault (sort of). I was on Auto Pilot at dusk. I did see what looked like to me as a paper bag in the road. I didn't try to avoid it, neither did AP. *WHACK* It was closer to a small length of a 2x2 piece of wood. That wasn't pleasant. However, being able to watch the tire pressure slowly decrease as we got closer to home helped me conclude that a) yes something bad had occurred and b) I could make it home. Once home, I called Tesla Roadside and inquired if they had a spare tire in the vicinity. "No".
The leak was slow enough that I pumped up the tire the following morning and headed to my local tire shop. I knew that they were servicing > 10 Teslas in the area (which surprised me a bit) and they knew how to handle it. They told me the wheel was cracked and it'd have to be sent out to get fixed. The next day I picked up the Y and things were good.
Last week, I was driving along and the TPMS notified me that I had 2 leaking tires. Again drove to the tire place. 1 tire had a nail which they patched. The other was yet another cracked wheel. I do not remember hitting anything that should have caused that. 2 wheels in a bit less than a year. Plus this year, we didn't have a significant frost heave issue.
What to do?
a) get this wheel fixed as well and hope that wheels 3 and 4 don't also suffer the same fate.
b) get a new wheel and hope this works better
c) get a new set of wheels?

Option a is the cheapest which suits me. However, 2 wheels in a year, I am not happy with having to run to the tire shop with a leaking tire every so often.
Option b doesn't make that much sense, so now it's option a or c.
As I have never in > 40 years of driving ever brought a wheel (maybe the old steel wheels were better), I was stunned when looking at prices/choices for option c.
$500+ for a single wheel???
I thought about option d, finding a junkyard with a Tesla with a 19" wheel but that's not too common around here yet.

Are Tesla wheels just that weak?
Suggestions/Recommendations?

What wheels do you have?
bigger wheels are more prone to damage plus the car is vey heavy.
I would just get new aftermarket set for $1500-2000. Pull tires and TPMS and put on new set. Sell 3 good wheels you have at $250-300 each. Or May be leave one as spare for yourself.

19" Gemini

Y_Wheels (1).png

Interesting, I would assume taller tire profile would absorb the impact.
Get aftermarket plenty of options. I went with 19” TSportline. Pretty happy with my choice. Picked 19” for softer ride and stronger wheel.

well, didn't get a lot of suggestions.
However, I did find EE YT's video from a year ago

In that he mentioned T Sportline but also gave some good information on tires.

So I have decided to bit the bullet and go with some new T Sportline wheels.
Will follow up after they are delivered and installed.
Hopefully it will resolve the wheel cracking issues.

Although I did wash the car recently, it's hard to keep it clean with all of the rain we've had in July.
A little over 1" of rain in the entire month of June, but now the rain gods are shining on us.
Will definitely help the 2 year drought we've been in.

here is a picture of the car with the new Space Grey T Sportsline Wheels.
Plus the car is guarded with not only Sentry mode but one of our agility (Mach 6) papillons.

The ride does feel softer, not as harsh as before although I do not understand why the wheels would make any difference.
Same OEM tires as they had plenty of wear left after 12K miles.

Y_wheels_2021_07.png

Reactions: Sans-gas and iamnid
Although I did wash the car recently, it's hard to keep it clean with all of the rain we've had in July.
A little over 1" of rain in the entire month of June, but now the rain gods are shining on us.
Will definitely help the 2 year drought we've been in.

here is a picture of the car with the new Space Grey T Sportsline Wheels.
Plus the car is guarded with not only Sentry mode but one of our agility (Mach 6) papillons.

The ride does feel softer, not as harsh as before although I do not understand why the wheels would make any difference.
Same OEM tires as they had plenty of wear left after 12K miles.

View attachment 684067
Looks good! I went with the exact same wheels on my red Model Y. I sold my geminis as a package so I got new tires as well. There's really no need to go with 20" wheels as I think the comfort trade-off is too great. I understand those who got the 20s because they liked the way the induction wheels looked vs. gemini, but when you're buying something third party, there's really no benefit to 20" vs. 19". I also love the way the space grey look as I am not a fan of black wheels.