Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's wrong with the Tesla regen? Or my car? (Chart)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hasn't affected any of my long trips. if it affects yours, maybe you should have it looked at.
Disregarding everything we know about the BMS.

If you don't want to plug in every day, that's your choice.

I'm just saying that it's one that is not based in what's best for the battery.

My battery is going to die from ludicrous mode anyway, I really don't care anymore.

• Funny
Reactions: tedsk
Sorry but unless you do it in the freezing temps it doesn't count. Regen behaves very differently and it changes all the time when it is around 32F outside.

Careful with your language here.

In my experience, outside temperature makes very little difference in regen - you get the exact same experience on dry roads in single digits as on a warm summer's day - provided the battery pack is warm.

A cold pack even on a relatively warm day means annoying reduced regen and means I have to use the friction brakes much of the time.

What I was saying and proving with exact measurements that cold pack directly affects regen performance and it behaves weird and unpredictable when limited due to temperature. What affects pack temperature directly is weather, assuming that my car is kept outside during the night.
Resuming:
- Cold weather equal to cold pack in the morning in my case.
- Cold pack equal to unreliable regenerative braking experience and it frustrates me (thread was devoted to this).
- Cold weather => cold pack => non-linear regen.

Last edited:
What I was saying and proving with exact measurements that cold pack directly affects regen performance and it behaves weird and unpredictable when limited due to temperature. What affects pack temperature directly is weather, assuming that my car is kept outside during the night.
Resuming:
- Cold weather equal to cold pack in the morning in my case.
- Cold pack equal to unreliable regenerative braking experience and it frustrates me (thread was devoted to this).
- Cold weather => cold pack => non-linear regen.

Yup. But if you drive for half an hour or so (and don't have range mode on,) then the pack will warm up and you'll be back to full, predictable regen.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: tedsk and Tomnook
... Careful with your language here. ...
I absolutely 100% agree with using precise technical literal terms, rather than generalizing, to create less confusion.
Yup. But if you drive for half an hour or so (and don't have range mode on,) then the pack will warm up and you'll be back to full, predictable regen.
However, I disagree with generalizing that the pack will warm up to normal temps and predictable regen in half an hour or so (even with Range Mode off).
Most of this winter, I did not fully regain my full regen after being parked outside and then driving 35+ miles at highway speeds to/from work.

• Informative
Reactions: AWDtsla and tedsk
I see what you are trying to say but it is completely irrelevant like the comment "you'll get use to it". Please stop posting what doesn't apply to my case. It is just as frustrating as non-linear regen.

My commute is 10mi and usually takes 20-30 minutes. Pack never warmed up fully on my commute. I tried to drive with range mode off - 20-30 minutes is still not enough for full warm up. It goes from 0% regen to 10-25% regen power on my way to/from work. Non-linearity is most noticeable when regen is restricted to ~10kW. Then it fades away.

If your experience is different - then is your car too.

However, I disagree with generalizing that the pack will warm up to normal temps and predictable regen in half an hour or so (even with Range Mode off).
Exactly!!!

Most of this winter, I did not fully regain my full regen after being parked outside and then driving 35+ miles at highway speeds to/from work.
That is my experience as well.

I absolutely 100% agree with using precise technical literal terms, rather than generalizing, to create less confusion.

This is why the "or so". Depending on pack starting temperature and driving style/conditions, it could be five minutes or most of an hour. I didn't see value in trying to define that closer, but I do think the difference between the impact on a typical winter daily commute and a winter road trip needs to be understood.

It is matter of terminology for sure. Shall we call it "regen" braking after it stops to produce energy but consume it.
I've done some reading and now I am not so sure it is indeed possible for Tesla if it is possible for BMW i3.

My discovery is that Tesla and BMW use different type of motors. Tesla uses induction motor while BMW uses a hybrid motor with permanent magnets. Latter can indeed produce electricity at low speeds which is apparently displayed on my i3 dash screen (it shows some regen power even at 1mph).

Anyway what makes me to believe that Tesla can brake with motor is simple test - reverse slowly and without stopping (while still moving back) switch to D and push accelerator. Car will first slowdown quickly and then will start to accelerate forward. I'm sure it doesn't involve friction brakes but rather accomplished with solely electric motor.

for me tesla regen is not as good as my i3 was why oh why cant they just have more settings to allow more agressive regen (after all they have just given me 11 speeds of fan control what a waste of effort that is)..

More eastereggs please! 5 days from Elon tweeting "needs more cowbell" to mario carts with cowbell easter egg? Nooooo problem... Getting trivial cold weather usability to work? 4 years and counting, who cares!

BTW, the car would have no problem tapering in friction brakes and coming to a stop below effective regen speeds via software update.

edit: You know the car already does the above every single time AP comes to a stop. o_O:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: busaman