Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's wrong with the turn signals?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Soooo, I've been trying to figure out what it is that I'm doing wrong. With Joe Mode and Robert Plant Mode enabled it can be tough to tell if the signals are working - but I keep getting the sense that they're not. And when they do work, I sometimes have a heck of a time trying to cancel them!

I'm not the only one.

And it looks like Tesla has a "fix" coming soon.

Meanwhile, thanks to Background-Gold I think the various signal modes can be summarized as follows:

INPUTRESPONSE
Slow press to detentOne blink, maybe more, depending on how slow
Slow press past detentBlinks until cancelled
Medium press to detentTriple blink (Why not 5? Is 3 really enough for anyone?)
Medium press past detentBlinks until cancelled
Fast press to detentNothing*
Fast press past detentNothing*

Hopefully this helps other TMC'ers struggling to figure out why the signal only works sometimes.

* Curiously, the gearshift responds to fast inputs despite appearing to be mechanically identical to the turn signal stalk.

Reactions: Sam Chuang
Soooo, I've been trying to figure out what it is that I'm doing wrong. With Joe Mode and Robert Plant Mode enabled it can be tough to tell if the signals are working - but I keep getting the sense that they're not. And when they do work, I sometimes have a heck of a time trying to cancel them!

I'm not the only one.

And it looks like Tesla has a "fix" coming soon.

Meanwhile, thanks to Background-Gold I think the various signal modes can be summarized as follows:

INPUTRESPONSE
Slow press to detentOne blink, maybe more, depending on how slow
Slow press past detentBlinks until cancelled
Medium press to detentTriple blink (Why not 5? Is 3 really enough for anyone?)
Medium press past detentBlinks until cancelled
Fast press to detentNothing*
Fast press past detentNothing*

Hopefully this helps other TMC'ers struggling to figure out why the signal only works sometimes.

* Curiously, the gearshift responds to fast inputs despite appearing to be mechanically identical to the turn signal stalk.
That's interesting. I've never smashed the turn signal like shown in the video, so haven't encountered it not activating.

As for triple blink, I think that is industry standard (as someone mentioned in that thread they owned Porsche, ford, Toyota, Honda that does triple blink). Triple blink are enough blinks it won't be missed, but yet isn't so many blinks that people may think it's a continuous signal (5 is probably too much). I use this mode mainly to signal which lane I intend to travel when a lane splits into two lanes.

I see someone in that thread also claiming:
In my experience it works consistently according to the following:
  • Full press: Blinks until you manually disengage
  • 1/2 press: Blinks 3 times, then automatically disengages
  • 3/4 press: Nothing happens

Another claimed service replaced their stalk and what is shown in the video doesn't happen anymore:

I'm hesitant however to test it out in my car as smashing the stalk like that looks like it could easily break something (maybe it was broken for that reason).

Last edited:
Reactions: DrewBytes
Haha, yeah that video was a bit much, I think he was just trying to make the video clear, not illustrate his actual style of signaling. You can just tap the stalk lightly with your finger and you'll see that it doesn't respond to a brief tap (unlike every other car ever made, and also unlike the gearshift stalk).

Haha, yeah that video was a bit much, I think he was just trying to make the video clear, not illustrate his actual style of signaling. You can just tap the stalk lightly with your finger and you'll see that it doesn't respond to a brief tap (unlike every other car ever made, and also unlike the gearshift stalk).
Tapping the stalk lightly and tapping the stalk fully but very quickly (as smashing the stalk does) are two different things however.

Reactions: DrewBytes
Yeah I have a lot of trouble canceling the signal, perhaps because my habit from this and previous cars has developed to always cancel in the easy (left) direction. Being easy, it doesn't take much time to do and hence I don't hold it down for long enough to register.

For anyone who has had this issue repaired or never noticed it at all, can you please try tapping the stalk quickly and see if it works? Don't hit it hard or anything weird, just be brief, tap it like you would tap a keyboard key. My 2021 gearshift responds perfectly to brief taps but the turn signal ignores them.

Ever since I got my M3 I've experienced this issue with the Fast press to detent not working and Lane keep assist not having detected a turn signal would push me back into the lane I just tried coming out of. Highly annoying! Sometimes even tapping it a 2nd time when the first one didn't work would still fail and now I"m already in the other lane by now. I didn't think anyone else but me had this issue when I did a few quick searches on forums, etc. I bought a replacement stalk assuming mine had to be faulty as sometimes a quick press would work and others it wouldn't. Replacing the stalk wasn't difficult at all but a few days of driving with the new stalk proved there wasn't anything wrong with the original. Same issue. :( I've never had any other car with the tap-to-pass blinker feature ever do this. :(

It's at the point now that I've now turned off Lane Keep Assist.