Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's you low budget S config?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not wanting to spend 100k I'm playing with the design studio to build a Low budget S. I have not pulled th trigger, just playing for now.

My budget friendly config is:
60kwh
Grey exterior
Tech package
Pano Roof - splurged on this, love the view
Parking sensors
Super Charger enabled
19 cyclone wheels, splurged on this, love the look

One consideration, I don't want damage from parking blocks or curbs, I figured active air was a must for this. Then come parking sensors for much less. Seems the way to go...thoughts?

Super charger, want to be able to road trip. Can you effectively road trip with a 6o and SC or will I be annoyed at having to stop too frequently?

Design studio has this at $73,320. Still more than double my last car, but doable.

What options might I regret not getting?

I don't think you'll regret anything. This does not have to be a $100,000 car. More people would consider buying a Tesla if it didn't have that misconception. 60+SC is fine, especially in California where you seem to have superchargers everywhere. If you want to spend even less I would drop the cyclone wheels. You don't need active air unless your driveway has a steep incline.

Thanks for the feedback. My driveway is a bit steep. Might need active air. Will do some research on this.

Personally, I think you have a pretty good setup going. I would probably drop the 19" cyclones and replace with active air suspension and the parcel shelf (small item, but important to hide anything in the trunk). This would still be the same total price. I actually really like the regular 19" wheels on my car (easier to clean as well). Also, I would keep the parking sensors even if you go with the active air.

I too wanted a budget friendly config. I debated on what I needed, what I wanted, and what would help the resale value of the car if I ever wanted to sell in the future. I had to give up some things in order to get this car (like my privacy as I rented out a room to help subsidize).

I didnt have the option for parking sensors. but now that I have been driving the car for a few months, I dont think I would ever need it. been pretty good at parallel parking and not bumping into things. One thing you have to get used to is the size (length and width) of the car. backup camera helps and the tilting side mirrors from tech package.

Anything you can get aftermarket would probably be cheaper.

Parcel shelf is not a necessity. throw a nasty looking towel over anything you don't want to be seen. :biggrin:. Tinting will help mask things back there also.

I thought the driveways I encountered during driving were steep and the humongous speed bumps... I always scraped the front guard of my 350Z or the area between front and back wheels, so I got the air suspension. However, i haven't had any issues so not sure if I needed them (unless the air suspension is why I am not having any issues).

Keep in mind the Design Studio takes into account the Federal Tax cred, which may require you to change your tax claims to take advantage. Not sure if the CA coffers has any money left for their rebate. but at any rate, you need to add that back in as it is money you will need to pay up-front. so your total right now would be 80K.

Personally, I'd leave off the Pano (heat/noise/headroom issues) and do the wheels aftermarket. You could get it under $70k that way.

Also, don't forget to factor in about $1000 for tinting and some amount for paint sealer/protection.

The pano gives you more headroom, not less. Heat is really not that much of an issue with it either, especially given that you can precool the car.

Personally, if budget were a concern, I'd skip the pano, but that's just me. I find I haven't used it as much as I thought.

When I was at the factory recently, I don't think I saw a single non-pano car. After a while, I started trying to spot one, but never did.

Personally, I'd leave off the Pano (heat/noise/headroom issues) and do the wheels aftermarket. You could get it under $70k that way.

Also, don't forget to factor in about $1000 for tinting and some amount for paint sealer/protection.

I don't have the pano roof on my sig. I had a service loaner for 2 days recently, and it had one. It validated my decision. From the drivers seat I could barely tell it was there. Sure the view is great from the back seat but I don't care about the back seat.
I care more about wind noise than having a sunroof.

As for the 21s, if you care about budget - don't get them. You will waste a lot of money on tires.

You could also skip the Supercharging upgrade for now - it's $2,500 to install after delivery (only $500 more), so that could help mitigate some of the initial outlay. (Then again, they may raise the cost on that later.)

And someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but: Aren't DMV registration fees based in part on the purchase price of the car? So by getting the SC upgrade later, you'll also lower your recurring registration/renewal fees a little bit.

Personally, I'd leave off the Pano (heat/noise/headroom issues)...

The Pano actually increases headroom.

Not wanting to spend 100k I'm playing with the design studio to build a Low budget S. I have not pulled th trigger, just playing for now.

My budget friendly config is:
60kwh
Grey exterior
Tech package
Pano Roof - splurged on this, love the view
Parking sensors
Super Charger enabled
19 cyclone wheels, splurged on this, love the look

One consideration, I don't want damage from parking blocks or curbs, I figured active air was a must for this. Then come parking sensors for much less. Seems the way to go...thoughts?

Super charger, want to be able to road trip. Can you effectively road trip with a 6o and SC or will I be annoyed at having to stop too frequently?

Design studio has this at $73,320. Still more than double my last car, but doable.

What options might I regret not getting?

I love the panoramic roof. So glad I got it.
I would skip the 'upgrade' rims, if you are on a budget. You can normally get new rims aftermarket at about the same price as an upgrade, but don't have to give up your old rims. But as a splurge it's fine.
As much as the parcel shelf shouldn't cost $250, I would get it.

I would also plan $500 for window tint, and some for floor mats. The only part where Tesla just truly utterly failed completely.

EDIT: Oh and personally I don't think parking sensors are worth it. Not to mention unsightly.

Last edited:
Personally, I think you have a pretty good setup going. I would probably drop the 19" cyclones and replace with active air suspension and the parcel shelf (small item, but important to hide anything in the trunk). This would still be the same total price. I actually really like the regular 19" wheels on my car (easier to clean as well). Also, I would keep the parking sensors even if you go with the active air.

I'm not sure how well the air suspension helps with steep driveways. Today, selecting a "high" suspsension is annoying, and not something I'd want to do every day. Maybe in the future they'll add some kind of GPS smarts into the suspension control, but for now, I'd just drive slowly on the transition. Does active air help on range, though? I would think that the automatically enabled "Low" setting would help with mileage?
Even if you don't get the parcel shelf, the trunk comes in two sections. There's a visible section, and a section that's covered by a removable floor. It might even be better to just put everything in the lower section of the trunk, and then if a thief looks in, they think that they can see that your trunk is empty when it's really not.

Personally, I also like the look of the standard wheels.

I would like to hear what other say on Pano, as I would imagine for resale, most want that.

I love the pano roof. Even when it's not open, it lets in just enough light to make the car seem open and inviting. That being said, I also do like driving with the roof and windows open on nice days. However, I mainly bought it for the extra headroom in the back seat (tall adults will really thank you for the extra couple inches it provides).

Thanks for feedback.

My budget friendly re-configured on all your feedback:
60kwh
Grey exterior
Tech package
Parking sensors
(standard: roof, wheels, seats, interior)

Totals to $68,320

After delivery: upgrade to super charger (for tax savings), window tint, paint protector

On the fence :
Active Air due to steep driveway. Not practical If i have to manually activate lift each time i pull into driveway. Thoughts?
Parcel Shelf - my current car as a retractable privacy screen in the hatch back. It has lived in the garage for years. I assume same will happen with the S, not gonna waste my money here.
Pano Roof - might not be a benefit for the driver so on the fence. Passengers surely benefit... i'm often a passenger in my own car. Wife and I share a car.

Gave up on wheels, doesn't make much sense if i'm going budget.

On the fence :
Active Air due to steep driveway. Not practical If i have to manually activate lift each time i pull into driveway. Thoughts?

You do have to manually activate it. I imagine that they could make it tied to GPS location (like they do for Home Link) with a firmware udpate in the future; however, it currently does not exist. Other reasons that people like active air:
- Some say the ride is smoother (I have not been in a regular suspension car, so I cannot comment on this)
- Ability to raise it in other situations: at other people's houses to get up their driveway, certain parking situations, in deeper snow, etc.
- Efficiency at higher speeds (greater than 55 or 60 mph): the car automatically lowers itself for better aerodynamics

This is a great thread my config is the no longer available 40/60 and the pano roof nothing else. I don't think people really understand what they are getting with this vehicle. Even with my meager configuration it blows most cars out of the water. I get asked about it almost daily.

This is a great thread my config is the no longer available 40/60 and the pano roof nothing else. I don't think people really understand what they are getting with this vehicle. Even with my meager configuration it blows most cars out of the water. I get asked about it almost daily.

Vevans - any comments on ownership experience without the Tech Package?
The big display with no GPS Navigation? So much untapped potential!