Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 100% charge range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a June 2020 MY with about 29K KM / 18K Miles. My full charge at 100% is showing 448KM / 278 Miles. I know the topic has been beaten to death and back but still curious to see what others are seeing for a full charge after similar mileage.

IMG_7122.jpg

2019 Raven S Standard Range new showed 278 (spec sheet says 285). After 20K miles it was down to 268@100%. Daily charged to 90% and Supercharged less than once a month.

2021 Y LR is still pretty new at 2K miles and right now Tesla app indicates 331@100% (official spec is 326). On day one, with 2 miles on the odometer, 100% was 329. Charging set to 70% and only plug in if I’ve used more than 10% that day. No Supercharges yet. July 2021 build with 82 kWh battery.

Last edited:
Mine is 281. I NEVER got 326, as advertised. The guys at Tesla service say it"s my 20 inch wheels...however, they are only 2lbs heavier than the 19's. I don't believe it. I just think like most Musk promises, 326 was simply never really true.
The difference in weight may not be much but you also have to factor that 20-inch wheels come with stickier higher-performance tires. The grippier compound will be less efficient. On our Model S I gained 35 miles of range when I downsized from 21s to stock 19s. Of course, driving style also plays a big factor.

In our short two months of Y ownership (LR with stock 19s and tires), I am averaging better than EPA ratings (326 miles or 240 Wh/m). I also averaged better than EPA range in the S but the Y is still a smidge more efficient than the S overall.

Roundtrip commute taking kid to school and coming back home:

347E0B7B-F117-4F7B-BB73-F8866CC3A5F3.jpeg

Interesting theory, however, the 20's and the 19's both use the same tire. You can look it up, it's a TOTAL of 8 lbs difference. Interesting. Too, that you exceed EPA estimates. I haven't heard of anyone able to do that. Edmunds tested the ranges on a variety of EV's, and all brands EXCEPT Tesla exceeded EPA estimates every time. They were not able to ever meet the Tesla estimates. I see in your screenshot your at 210 kwh. That's incredible. I've never been able TY get mine below 235, even puttering along under the speed limit with no AC.

Last edited:
Interesting theory, however, the 20's and the 19's both use the same tire. You can look it up, it's a TOTAL of 8 lbs difference. Interesting. Too, that you exceed EPA estimates. I haven't heard of anyone able to do that. Edmunds tested the ranges on a variety of EV's, and all brands EXCEPT Tesla exceeded EPA estimates every time. They were not able to ever meet the Tesla estimates. I see in your screenshot your at 210 kwh. That's incredible. I've never been able TY get mine below 235, even puttering along under the speed limit with no AC.
They are not the same tire; For the Long Range Model Y the 19" Gemini wheels come with the Continental Procontact RX Grand Touring All Season tires size 255/45R19 (wt. 26 lbs). The optional 20" Induction wheels come with Goodyear Eagle F1 Ultra High Performance All Season tires size 255/40R20 (wt. 25 lbs.) The tire weight advantage goes to the 20" Goodyear Eagle F1 tire.

The weights of these two wheels: 19" Gemini: 29.6 lbs, 20" Induction 31.55 lbs. (Not sure if the 29.6 lbs weight of the Gemini wheel includes the wheel cover.)

OE 19" wheel and tire: 55.6 lbs, OE 20" wheel and tire: 56.55 lbs. There is barely 1 lb difference.

Note that the 21" Uberturbine wheels weigh 38.05 lbs (front) and 38.95 (rear). The OE Pirelli PZero (PZ4) tires weigh 27 lbs (front) and 29 lbs (rear). The OE 21" Uberturbine wheels and tires weight 65.05 lbs (front and 67.95 lbs (rear).

The data that Tesla submitted to EPA shows that the Long range Model Y fitted with 19" wheels is approximately 4% to 8% more efficient than when fitted with the 20" wheels, speed dependent.

Range loss with the different wheel options

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteWi
I don't know that I ever charged to 100% in the early days of ownership, but at the time they were quoting 316 miles for the Model Y. At some point it got a software bump to 326 or such? I'm rapidly nearly 30,000 miles and did a 100% charge a couple weeks ago and it showed 298 miles. I SuperCharge a fair amount - probably as much as half of the total miles on the car.

I don’t think they’re the same tires. According to the forum and tirerack.com, Geminis use 19” Continental ProContact RX grand touring tires and Inductions use 20” Eagle F1 Asymmetrical 5 ultra-high performance tires.

I have read those same Edmunds tests and they’re flawed. They claim to run every EV the same route but if you look closely, every Tesla they test is outfitted with the larger wheel/tire package while the competition uses the smallest wheel/tire package and the EPA tests typically use the most efficient configuration with the smallest tires.

I give Ford kudos for returning real-world range that matches advertising but I am also able to get rated range on two of my Teslas so I don’t know what else to say. On top of that, I wasn’t even the most efficient in the Model S forum. There are plenty other owners with more miles and lower Wh/m averages.

Here’s another comparison of the same commute between my Model S vs Y. The first leg is to my kid’s school, and then to work. By the time I sold my Model S at 23K miles, it had a lifetime average of 258 Wh/m and still dropping (remember I started with 21-inch tires and switched to 19s halfway through). Even on the freeway at 65 MPH my Model S was averaging 10% better than EPA rate of 254 Wh/m:
E300860E-9D4B-43AA-BE12-589C893D91EA.jpeg

215F1EC1-EF41-4FA2-B2AD-BB873E27F5A4.jpeg

Last edited:
2021 MY LR, purchased November 2020. Using Tesla Fi, when new, the max was 323 miles. I now have almost 13,000 miles on it and it is down to max 288 miles, or an 11% loss. I seldom charge to 100% and 85% is the daily charge on my home charger. I've done 16 Supercharges, none all the way to 100%. Tesla Fi gives you data from MYs with similar miles, and of the 50 such cars, I have the lowest max charge. Here is the chart:

Tesla Fi Battery Degradation.jpg

Green is the average of all other MYs, the blue line is mine.

The only possible explanation I have is that I live in an extremely hot climate. Today, October 4, the average high temp is 89 degrees, and today it was 92 - not unusual. High temps are tough on all batteries.

• Informative
Reactions: ishareit and Bvee
2020 MY Performance w/ 11,000 miles
New - 291
After 3 months - 271
After 1 year -261
Supercharged 5 times up to 90%
Always home charging using Wall Connector

2021 MS Performance (pre-refresh) w/ 8,000 miles
New - 390
After 10 months - 390 (No change)
SC’d 5 times up to 90%
Always home charging using WC

Very curious how low MY will get.

It's possible that it was not a 25 mile round trip. One way trip might have a favorable change in elevation that created an illusion of better efficiency.