Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 100% charge range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's possible that it was not a 25 mile round trip. One way trip might have a favorable change in elevation that created an illusion of better efficiency.
In case this was in reference to my 25-mile trip, I assure you it is roundtrip. In my above posts I also shared comparisons of the same commute between my Model S and Model Y and they both get similar efficiency, both beating their respective EPA estimates.

Despite working from home now, we still drive about 50 miles a day to take my daughter to school in the mornings and go pick her up in the afternoon. In the cooler 65-degree morning I can get to her school under 200 Wh/m. By the end of the day, getting home in 91-degree temperatures I am still averaging better than EPA ratings. This is all city driving and favors EVs. Speed limits are between 45-55 MPH and I go over by 5 MPH at most. AC at 72 and I do NOT use Chill mode because I want the instant response in case of an emergency maneuver.

24A1C865-6A9D-4ED5-8DE0-79E3AB1A0936.jpeg

Reactions: MY-user
In case this was in reference to my 25-mile trip, I assure you it is roundtrip. In my above posts I also shared comparisons of the same commute between my Model S and Model Y and they both get similar efficiency, both beating their respective EPA estimates.

Despite working from home now, we still drive about 50 miles a day to take my daughter to school in the mornings and go pick her up in the afternoon. In the cooler 65-degree morning I can get to her school under 200 Wh/m. By the end of the day, getting home in 91-degree temperatures I am still averaging better than EPA ratings. This is all city driving and favors EVs. Speed limits are between 45-55 MPH and I go over by 5 MPH at most. AC at 72 and I do NOT use Chill mode because I want the instant response in case of an emergency maneuver.

View attachment 718871
This is impressive!

This is impressive!
Thank you and it doesn’t take any conscious effort on my part. Even my wife averages just a touch better than EPA on this morning’s roundtrip to school and back, including a short stop at Trader Joe’s. Her efficiency isn’t as good as mine because she hasn’t quite mastered one-pedal driving yet and doesn’t make the most use of regen. I absolutely love the Y and it saves us $250 a month in gas compared to her Lexus ES. Just taking our daughter to school in the Lexus was $65 in gas every five days.
256CFCBD-705D-4D93-8683-C62891F8D29B.jpeg

View attachment 718871
How... this is so impressive. How is this possible? In stop and go traffic in city I get 300+. Since I find myself accelerating off red only to slow down for red constantly. Most times I hve better Wh/mi going freeways.. (because no frequent stopping)

How... this is so impressive. How is this possible? In stop and go traffic in city I get 300+. Since I find myself accelerating off red only to slow down for red constantly. Most times I hve better Wh/mi going freeways.. (because no frequent stopping)
Thank you, we’ve been quite happy with the Y and its real-world range. Yesterday was particularly busy and we drove 118.8 miles running errands on top of school pickup. We charge to 70% and the car used 38% for the day. That calculates out to a tad over 312 miles of real world range if we were to drive from full to empty. Not bad considering AC was on all the time, we were on the freeway 10% of the time, and also used Dog Mode during a few stops to keep the cabin cool, with Sentry Mode active. Just want to share that my efficiency screenshots are not just one-time flukes but are repeatable and consistent. This morning shows 330 miles at 100%. Lovin’ the Y!

94C0C977-A0F0-4B68-95D6-0EB408CD5A38.jpeg

Today, I did a round trip mainly highway driving and some city driving as well. I used the AC throughout the trip, I did some soft and hard speeding, and I was using Sport and Standard modes. I charged my MYP '21 to 87% last night at home. As of right now, I'm at 56% and my MYP used 31% from start to finish and the total miles I've drove today is 67.2 miles. Is this very common with other MYP on this thread? Is this a good percentage that my MY used or it should be less? I do have 21" stock tires. I am trying to understand the kWh usage on my vehicle and such. It's all very new to me. I attached my trip since last charge along with instant and average range consumption. Can anyone break down in layman terms what instant and average range consumption means?

Thanks in advance : )

Attachments

• tempImage2QdrvE.png
    tempImage2QdrvE.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
  • tempImageEVWlds.png
    tempImageEVWlds.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 34
  • tempImagewWAP7u.png
    tempImagewWAP7u.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 37
Today, I did a round trip mainly highway driving and some city driving as well. I used the AC throughout the trip, I did some soft and hard speeding, and I was using Sport and Standard modes. I charged my MYP '21 to 87% last night at home. As of right now, I'm at 56% and my MYP used 31% from start to finish and the total miles I've drove today is 67.2 miles. Is this very common with other MYP on this thread? Is this a good percentage that my MY used or it should be less? I do have 21" stock tires. I am trying to understand the kWh usage on my vehicle and such. It's all very new to me. I attached my trip since last charge along with instant and average range consumption. Can anyone break down in layman terms what instant and average range consumption means?

Thanks in advance : )
In the Performance Model Y (PMY) the driving modes are Performance and Chill. In the Long Range Model Y (LRMY) the driving modes are Standard and Chill (if you purchase the acceleration boost option that is available for the LRMY the driving modes become Performance and Chill.)

The consumption (309 Wh/mi) since the last time you charged your PMY is fine considering that this is a Performance Model Y with the 21" wheels. The AC has a measurable impact on the energy used. The AC energy usage could be reduced if you have the windows tinted.

The Energy screen can display information about the energy used. The instant consumption (energy used) is a snapshot of the energy used at that exact moment, will swing widely as you accelerate and slow down. The Energy screen can provide more useful information if you display the average energy used over the last 15 miles or last 30 miles. When you enter a destination into the Navigation system and start driving the route the Energy screen will display your energy usage over the route and any deviation from the expected usage given the posted speed limits and the elevation changes along the route.

The first photo you posted shows the energy used since the last time your Model Y was charged. If you swipe up you can see the usage data for Trip A and if you swipe up again for Trip B. You can rename Trip B to be Lifetime Usage, don't reset it so it will show you the overall Wh/mi efficiency for your Model Y. (The lifetime Wh/mi for my LRMY with 19" wheels is 268 Wh/mi. Your efficiency since last charge (309 Wh/mi) is ~15% higher.)

The Wh/mi measure is new to first time EV owners. It can be hard to relate Wh/mi to something familiar. If you invert the Wh/mi as 1/Wh/mi value you get the miles per kWh. I.e. 250 Wh/mi is equal to 4 miles of range per kWh. 250 Wh/mi is good driving efficiency, some Model Y owners can do better and achieve ~240 Wh/mi or even higher efficiency (a lower Wh/mi value). (If you turn off the climate control system you can achieve even better efficiency.) If you can achieve overall ~270 Wh/mi efficiency that is typical of the experience of many Model Y owners. With the 21" wheels you can expect higher consumption than with the smaller 20" and 19" wheels.

Range loss with the different wheel options

Last edited:
In the Performance Model Y (PMY) the driving modes are Performance and Chill. In the Long Range Model Y (LRMY) the driving modes are Standard and Chill (if you purchase the acceleration boost option that is available for the LRMY the driving modes become Performance and Chill.)

The consumption (309 Wh/mi) since the last time you charged your PMY is fine considering that this is a Performance Model Y with the 21" wheels. The AC has a measurable impact on the energy used. The AC energy usage could be reduced if you have the windows tinted.

The Energy screen can display information about the energy used. The instant consumption (energy used) is a snapshot of the energy used at that exact moment, will swing widely as you accelerate and slow down. The Energy screen can provide more useful information if you display the average energy used over the last 15 miles or last 30 miles. When you enter a destination into the Navigation system and start driving the route the Energy screen will display your energy usage over the route and any deviation from the expected usage given the posted speed limits and the elevation changes along the route.

The first photo you posted shows the energy used since the last time your Model Y was charged. If you swipe up you can see the usage data for Trip A and if you swipe up again for Trip B. You can rename Trip B to be Lifetime Usage, don't reset it so it will show you the overall Wh/mi efficiency for your Model Y. (The lifetime Wh/mi for my LRMY with 19" wheels is 268 Wh/mi. Your efficiency since last charge (309 Wh/mi) is ~15% higher.)

The Wh/mi measure is new to first time EV owners. It can be hard to relate Wh/mi to something familiar. If you invert the Wh/mi as 1/Wh/mi value you get the miles per kWh. I.e. 250 Wh/mi is equal to 4 miles of range per kWh. 250 Wh/mi is good driving efficiency, some Model Y owners can do better and achieve ~240 Wh/mi or even higher efficiency (a lower Wh/mi value). (If you turn off the climate control system you can achieve even better efficiency.) If you can achieve overall ~270 Wh/mi efficiency that is typical of the experience of many Model Y owners. With the 21" wheels you can expect higher consumption than with the smaller 20" and 19" wheels.

Range loss with the different wheel options
Thank you very much, jcanoe. You explained this very well and easy to understand. Regarding the driving modes; I have to double check the Performance and Chill modes on my MYP, but I believe you are right. I will be getting my windows tinted this week with 18% or 20% all around and front windshield with 35% or 40% because Florida heat is no joke especially driving MY with more sunlight entering the vehicle. I will definitely rename my Trip B to Lifetime Usage and never reset. That's what I figured with having larger wheels that I will consume higher energy usage on the vehicle than the 19" or 20" wheels. My 100% charge range is 303 miles.

Thank you very much, jcanoe. You explained this very well and easy to understand. Regarding the driving modes; I have to double check the Performance and Chill modes on my MYP, but I believe you are right. I will be getting my windows tinted this week with 18% or 20% all around and front windshield with 35% or 40% because Florida heat is no joke especially driving MY with more sunlight entering the vehicle. I will definitely rename my Trip B to Lifetime Usage and never reset. That's what I figured with having larger wheels that I will consume higher energy usage on the vehicle than the 19" or 20" wheels. My 100% charge range is 303 miles.
Chill mode reduces power at the motors by ~50%, won't reduce your energy usage at constant speed but will limit power used while accelerating. Chill mode will help extend the life of your rear tires if that is important to you.

You can tint the glass roof but not everyone agrees this is a makes much difference, may void the warranty on the glass roof. I use an inside mesh fabric sun shade that helps diffuse the rays of the sun so the sun does not feel so intense on my head. The sun shade came with a second reflective layer but I have not felt the need to install the reflective cover. You can find these sun shades on Amazon for ~$50 (sometimes less with a coupon.) Well worth it as you remove the sunshade in minutes if you want to. This type of sun shade is known to sag a bit but does not interfere with the view out the rear view mirror or where second row passenger's head would touch the fabric of the sun shade. All in all the glass roof sun shade is my second favorite interior accessory after the floor liners I purchased.

The AC is programmed for efficiency, won't turn on the front passenger vent or rear seat vents unless someone is seated in those seats. You can activate the passenger side front air vent by tapping on the graphic display of the dashboard vent area on the passenger side. There is a screen button on the lower right that will turn on the second row seat air vents. Unfortunately you have to do this every time you start the Model Y. You can turn off the front seat passenger vent by turning off the Model Y's AC system and then turning it back on.

You can use the Recirculate Cabin Air setting so the AC does not have to work as hard to cool the passenger cabin during the warmest part of the day. You can use the voice commands "Recirculate" and "Fresh Air" to control this setting or using a button on the Climate control screen. I usually turn off Recirculate Cabin Air when I arrive as this may help dry out the AC evaporator coil.

Last edited:
Chill mode reduces power at the motors by ~50%, won't reduce your energy usage at constant speed but will limit power used while accelerating. Chill mode will help extend the life of your rear tires if that is important to you.

You can tint the glass roof but not everyone agrees this is a makes much difference, may void the warranty on the glass roof. I use an inside mesh fabric sun shade that helps diffuse the rays of the sun so the sun does not feel so intense on my head. The sun shade came with a second reflective layer but I have not felt the need to install the reflective cover. You can find these sun shades on Amazon for ~$50 (sometimes less with a coupon.) Well worth it as you remove the sunshade in minutes if you want to. This type of sun shade is known to sag a bit but does not interfere with the view out the rear view mirror or where second row passenger's head would touch the fabric of the sun shade. All in all the glass roof sun shade is my second favorite interior accessory after the floor liners I purchased.

The AC is programmed for efficiency, won't turn on the front passenger vent or rear seat vents unless someone is seated in those seats. You can activate the passenger side front air vent by tapping on the graphic display of the dashboard vent area on the passenger side. There is a screen button on the lower right that will turn on the second row seat air vents. Unfortunately you have to do this every time you start the Model Y. You can turn off the front seat passenger vent by turning off the Model Y's AC system and then turning it back on.

You can use the Recirculate Cabin Air setting so the AC does not have to work as hard to cool the passenger cabin during the warmest part of the day. You can use the voice commands "Recirculate" and "Fresh Air" to control this setting or using a button on the Climate control screen. I usually turn off Recirculate Cabin Air when I arrive as this may help dry out the AC evaporator coil.
I don't like Chill mode at all. Lol. I used it twice and it is too sloowwww for my liking. I will use it if my battery range drops pretty low to converse the battery or I want to do a coast driving along the beach coast. I am a speed demon with a lead foot. Lol. Most likely I will have to change out the rear tires around 15k miles which I had to do with my previous BMWs I used to own. I may tint the roof, but I did install a roof sun shade from Temai and it does make the cabin a little bit cooler but not significantly much if I did tint job on it. The sun shade I have does sag a bit and I cannot stand it but you get use to it.

The AC does wonders and I keep mine at 68 to 70 degrees which is perfect for me. In other vehicles that I previously own, I would had to put the AC on full blast to 60 degrees but not with my MY. I was impressed with the output of cold air that it blows from a low speed fan setting with higher degrees. That is a plus in my book. I absolutely love the ON and OFF feature of front passenger and rear passenger AC vents. I definitely use the Recirculate cabin air setting because it's only me in the vehicle unless my partner is with me or friends. I never knew that. Thank you for the pro-tip regarding the turning off the recirculate cabin air when I arrive home. I will do that for now on.

**On a side note, referring back to the driving modes post; my MYP has Chill or Sport Acceleration modes and Chill, Standard, or Sport Driving modes. There is no Performance on MYP only for M3P because they have Track mode. I wish MYP came with Track (Performance) mode, but I don't it will happen anytime soon.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe