Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 100% charge range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020 MY Performance w/ 11,000 miles
New - 291
After 3 months - 271
After 1 year -261
Supercharged 5 times up to 90%
Always home charging using Wall Connector

2021 MS Performance (pre-refresh) w/ 8,000 miles
New - 390
After 10 months - 390 (No change)
SC’d 5 times up to 90%
Always home charging using WC

Very curious how low MY will get.
Have you thought of discharging it down to 50km and then recharging it at an SC to 100%.
An experienced service technician told me this years ago about how the cells in the battery corrupt when not charged after some time. He mentioned if even one battery is corrupt within a cluster, it will read as though that entire cluster is ineffective and thus the calculated range will be slightly false. This tech was a computer engineer from another country but man did he know his stuff!

Ie. if you continually run between 40-90%, the block of cells which are never discharged or recharged start to display slight corruption if even one battery is. I had my 2017 P100d and was exhibiting higher than normal range loss. Literally 15% loss in 1 year. I did as he asked. Ran it down to 40km actually and hit the SC. Lo and behold my charge rate came back to 5% loss not 15.
I always wondered about how the battery charges and whether it’s all cells discharging/chsrging in unison or as the battery pic shows..certain clusters and packs discharging as you go depending on what % of charge you are at.

I tired it again on a 2018 100D we had after the rated was 539km and it decreased to 503km after 1.5 yrs. Took her down to around 38km and charged it up at an SC to 100. Again max charge range increased back to 528km.

Not sure if the MY battery architecture would be similar with respect to clusters and occasional faulty cells or individual batteries themselves.
🤔

That is awesome. I hope you guys have an AMAZING road trip and time driving through the South-Western region of the country. I bet your daughter will be thrilled to see you guys. I downloaded "A Better Route Planner" app myself for road trips in our very near future. Cant't Wait!

Change One to Plan C, paragraph six.

Not going to California, but rather to Florida to see our son and his family (including two new great grandchildren) in the Orlando area, then all the way down south of Miami to see an old friend who is unfortunately in prison there. Spent most of today using ABRP and making motel reservations.

By the way - classic rock for me!

January 2021 build, 20” LR, closing in on 8k miles. I never had it in miles before the recent updates allowing the easy switch between % and miles, but I believe I had 316 when I first got it. It now fluctuates between 303 and 306 miles at 100%. Interestingly, it actually changes as the battery charges sometimes.

After a few months and not supercharging a lot, but fairly often charging to 93-95% or even more, I’m glad to see that there is not much different compared to people who obsessively keep their battery between 40 and 80%. We’ll see if there is more of an impact later on…

I received an alert when I got into the Y to retrieve my USB to erase old footage and look at some recents to see if anything look abnormal or I need to save a footage for "evidence". I was charging my Y and the alert stated to this effect, that I was charging the vehicle to frequently for the amount of driving I've been doing as of lately and If I continue to charge it at this rate, the battery will degrade rapidly. I barely drive more than 20 to 25 miles a day or every other day. I did place the charge limit to 90% and I guess, I need to reduce the charge limit to 80% max for my less daily driving habits. I should've took a picture of the alert so that others will know.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I received an alert when I got into the Y to retrieve my USB to erase old footage and look at some recents to see if anything look abnormal or I need to save a footage for "evidence". I was charging my Y and the alert stated to this effect, that I was charging the vehicle to frequently for the amount of driving I've been doing as of lately and If I continue to charge it at this rate, the battery will degrade rapidly. I barely drive more than 20 to 25 miles a day or every other day. I did place the charge limit to 90% and I guess, I need to reduce the charge limit to 80% max for my less daily driving habits. I should've took a picture of the alert so that others will know.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Yes. Normally keep it at 75% (normally, lol, we have 650 miles on it), but one time bumped it to 90% to make a 150mi round trip with no charging opportunities along the way. Colder, winter tires, new car, new to EVs. Got that same warning.

Set it right back to 75%. No more warning.

Actually used 205 mi of the EPA range to do the 150 miles, but we had some interesting terrain, twisty hills, and winter tires and colder weather, in the 40's. And drove a bit fast at times, and stayed warm.

100% range shows 329 mi.

Yes. Normally keep it at 75% (normally, lol, we have 650 miles on it), but one time bumped it to 90% to make a 150mi round trip with no charging opportunities along the way. Colder, winter tires, new car, new to EVs. Got that same warning.

Set it right back to 75%. No more warning.

Actually used 205 mi of the EPA range to do the 150 miles, but we had some interesting terrain, twisty hills, and winter tires and colder weather, in the 40's. And drove a bit fast at times, and stayed warm.

100% range shows 329 mi.
Thank you. I put the limit to 80% for now. The warning went away. I have 990 miles as of today. I live in a heavy metropolitan city with highway and city driving. Very warm and hot down here all year long. I would love to take my new toy on twisty roads and hills, various terrains. But we are going to ATL this Thanksgiving and they have hilly roads, twisty streets, and etc. I cannot wait to take it up there next month. 😁😁

As for my Y, I get 100% charge for 300 miles range.

Reactions: OxBrew
My MY since june if i charge it to 100% its showing 320 miles

I understand everything about never getting that and im perfectly happy with MY with its range has served perfectly fine on trips already.

I Do have 1 question on the capacity being used on the battery tho if anyone here can help out of pure curiosity and knowledge purposes

I charged my vehicle to 100% took a short 120 mile round trip averaged about 305 wh/mi
(pretty constant 80 mph) on this trip and took my battery down to about 55% I decided to bring it down to 1% the usual home to work and back etc. just because i felt like it no other reason.

Here are the results

2C1CA813-3A1D-4419-9F01-FCD473F1345E.jpeg

F14A9F90-014F-42D0-AE95-FC86EAB1EBE0.jpeg

So you see i got 250 miles at 268wh/mi with 1% left and the saying i had maybe about 4 miles left

Now here’s my big question
it says i used 67kwh however from my understanding doesn’t the car have 77kwh usable? From the 80kwh
I find it hard to believe id be at 1% with another 10kwh usable? I could maybe see another idk 6% or 7%

Anyone can educate me on this one

My MY since june if i charge it to 100% its showing 320 miles

I understand everything about never getting that and im perfectly happy with MY with its range has served perfectly fine on trips already.

I Do have 1 question on the capacity being used on the battery tho if anyone here can help out of pure curiosity and knowledge purposes

I charged my vehicle to 100% took a short 120 mile round trip averaged about 305 wh/mi
(pretty constant 80 mph) on this trip and took my battery down to about 55% I decided to bring it down to 1% the usual home to work and back etc. just because i felt like it no other reason.

Here are the results

View attachment 724067
View attachment 724069

So you see i got 250 miles at 268wh/mi with 1% left and the saying i had maybe about 4 miles left

Now here’s my big question
it says i used 67kwh however from my understanding doesn’t the car have 77kwh usable? From the 80kwh
I find it hard to believe id be at 1% with another 10kwh usable? I could maybe see another idk 6% or 7%

Anyone can educate me on this one
The 67 kWh was devoted to purely driving. The rest was used to run the cameras, heat/AC, battery cooling, Dog Mode, Sentry Mode, music, etc.

Based on 268 Wh/m on a 78kWh usable battery, you should have had a range of 291. Since you drove 250 miles (with 1% left) that means you’re at ~87% efficiency, which is pretty good. The rest of the energy went to power the car’s electronics.

Reactions: dino007
The 67 kWh was devoted to driving. The rest was used to run the cameras, heat/AC, battery cooling, music, etc.

Based on 268 Wh/m on a 78kWh usable battery, you should have had a range of 291. Since you drove 250 miles (with 1% left) that means you’re at ~87% efficiency, which is pretty good. The rest of the energy went to power the car’s electronics.
Thanks that makes perfect sense forgot about everything else on the car 😂