Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is unnerving to me as I'm seeing range loss while following similar charging habits, but it was my understanding that the range would be restored after repeated 90% charges. It wasn't reassuring to me that I didn't regain miles after my road trip this past weekend which included a couple 100% charges.

Who wants to be the guinea pig here? I have an idea to restore your range:

1. Access fuse box in frunk.
2. Pull yellow touchscreen fuse.
3. Pull BMS green fuse.
4. Wait 5-10 min.
5. Insert fuses in reverse order.

I would test this out if my miles were much lower.....maybe after the winter if I don't see it go back up to 243-245 after doing multiple 100% complete charges

This is unnerving to me as I'm seeing range loss while following similar charging habits, but it was my understanding that the range would be restored after repeated 90% charges. It wasn't reassuring to me that I didn't regain miles after my road trip this past weekend which included a couple 100% charges.

3. Pull BMS green fuse.
4. Wait 5-10 min.

apacheguy::: What will this do to restore range? Any caveats while doing this?

3. Pull BMS green fuse.
4. Wait 5-10 min.

I've done this and reported my findings upthread. No effect. I pulled both fuses for 20 minutes. No change to displayed range. I contacted service regarding this procedure, the service advisor asked all of the techs at the shop and said this process does nothing.

apacheguy::: What will this do to restore range? Any caveats while doing this?

It should reset the range algo.

I've done this and reported my findings upthread. No effect. I pulled both fuses for 20 minutes. No change to displayed range. I contacted service regarding this procedure, the service advisor asked all of the techs at the shop and said this process does nothing.

Interesting. I can attest to this working under a previous firmware with a previous battery. No idea if it still holds with newer rev. packs. I guess it really depends on whether or not the memory on the BMS is volatile.

Done, and nope.
mknox, I'm convinced you must have some dead cells... Generally speaking, I've noticed most folks with A packs have better degradation #'s than some of the later revision packs. I think you have an A pack right? Also, folks in colder climates generally do better, although not as consistently (at least by my perception)... you're in Canada where avg temps stay colder than most American owners..... between those two things, I would expect you to be a lot better off than most in terms of degradation #'s, and you're not.... therefore dead cells? Just a theory...

S60 getting a bit frustrated. Now at 308 w/m average with about 20 k on the car and only getting about 169 at 90%

When I got the car it was getting 185 at 90%. Even as my avg w/m has gone down my rated range has also gone down

Teska looked at it twice and keeps telling me there's no issue with the battery. Full charge I only get 189 now.

mknox, I'm convinced you must have some dead cells... Generally speaking, I've noticed most folks with A packs have better degradation #'s than some of the later revision packs. I think you have an A pack right? Also, folks in colder climates generally do better, although not as consistently (at least by my perception)... you're in Canada where avg temps stay colder than most American owners..... between those two things, I would expect you to be a lot better off than most in terms of degradation #'s, and you're not.... therefore dead cells? Just a theory...

Would be interested to see @mknox diag screens as dead cells should be visible in comparing module voltages. Perhaps with the soon to be released @disharmony jailbreak?

Not sure if this is directly related to this comment, but yesterday I did a road trip where I supercharged on the way out and the way back. I drove from home to the Supercharger and charged to 90%. Later that day, I returned to the same Supercharger and again charged to 90%. My car said I had driven 139.5 miles and consumed 42.3 kWh, but my Charging display showed I had put 46 kWh back in to the car during that second charge. Why the discrepancy? It wasn't like the car was parked overnight or anything.

My experience is that the trips app does not count all power usage by the car. No one has explained what is or is not included, and my experience has been that occasionally that app becomes a bit "sticky" and seems to miss both some mileage and power usage on "since last charge" in certain conditions (especially road trips).

- - - Updated - - -

Has any brave soul kept their car charged to 100% for several days? A post in a thread regarding battery degradation at TM Forums over a year ago, or it could have been here, indicated that their local service center suggested keeping the car charged to 100% for a week in order to work its magic balancing trick. I'm curious if anyone has done that, either intentionally or by accident, and what impact, if any, it had on your range estimate?

I have, but it didn't seem to have any impact. Then again, my car hasn't lost any range with over 43,000 miles on my replacement pack.

Dec 2012 S85, 32k miles, 90% gets me to 226. I just set it to 90% and ignore the fluctuations. I average 350 w/m since my purchase. I suppose if I wanted my 10% back I could just adjust my driving habits down to the 300-320 area most of your guys seems to use.

Yes, A-Pack and I live in Southern Ontario which has a climate similar to, say, Chicago.

I asked my Service Center about this a year or so ago when the big dip occurred. They told me that they ran some diagnostics and didn't find any problems with the battery. I didn't get any kind of report other than a note on the Service Order saying "operating as designed" or something like that and the conversation I had with them at the time.

I actually "planned" for this level of degradation when I ordered the car (prior to first deliveries in 2012) so it is not like I can't make trips or anything. It is a little odd to see the variations between owners, though. A while back, I set my displays to show % rather than Rated Miles and it has reduced my anxiety about it significantly :smile:

Well Tesla came back and they admit on my service report that my capacity has gone down 10% and faster than average but they still say its normal and should "average" out as fleet averages catch up, whatever that means. Not sure how I plan any trips now if my distance between supercharges is more than 189 miles. Love the car, but this is worrisome.

Well Tesla came back and they admit on my service report that my capacity has gone down 10% and faster than average but they still say its normal and should "average" out as fleet averages catch up, whatever that means. Not sure how I plan any trips now if my distance between supercharges is more than 189 miles. Love the car, but this is worrisome.

Down 10% in less than 1 year? Normal? Hardly.