Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the information. What is the physical age of the pack and what is your charge routine? Do you normally charge to 90%? Do you charge at the end of the day or does is stay plugged in between commutes?

Car is new to me as of last week - it's a CPO that was a one owner out of Denver. Service manager said my vehicle has the original battery and drive unit so January 2013 build.

After I got it I did range charge to 100% and drove down to about 18% before charging back up to 90 with no change to the numbers and then did a road trip so charged back up to 100% and did see 256 miles- maybe i need to do more reading on 'balancing'.

I've had the car plugged in just about all the time when home or at my destinations but that is not my intention going forward. There are a bunch of 30 amp GE Watt-stations at my work and I plug the car in at work every day and let it run up to the default 90% and will only plug in at home if I am going to need more range than it takes me to get to work (~50 miles one way) or on the weekend.

My 90D is now down to 247 at 90%... Am I the only one who thinks thats a bit low...???
Whoa.. I think that's really low actually. My 90% used to be 265. Now its down to 260 at 13000 miles driven.
My 85D is 1 year old today. 34k miles behind her. 90% charge tonight got me 239 rated miles.
My 90D had 261 miles range at 90% on the day I picked it up.
My 90D's range is now down to 237 miles of rated range at 90% and is 9 months old.
It seems I would have been better off ordering an 85D.
I have a service appointment next week. We will see what can be done to address this issue.

The battery may need conditioning. Try charging to 100% and then drive the car soon after (within an hour of getting to 100%). The charging circuitry conditions the battery when you charge to 100%. A lot of people see their range increase back to closer to original.

Yay, I hit 228! My 2013 S85 (45K mi) 90% has been 227 since last fall, but this morning it hit 228. Prolly had to do with the garage being 95ºF all day yesterday and never dropped below 80º last night. I've noticed the car's fan turning on loud while the car's charging of the HPWC. This heat wave may get me back to 230, who knows! I still miss 242 though. I think that was the peak 90% I used to get back in 2013.

• Informative
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
The battery may need conditioning. Try charging to 100% and then drive the car soon after (within an hour of getting to 100%). The charging circuitry conditions the battery when you charge to 100%. A lot of people see their range increase back to closer to original.
That's all true but my experience is to run it down under 10% before you do that to get the best results.

Yay, I hit 228! My 2013 S85 (45K mi) 90% has been 227 since last fall, but this morning it hit 228. Prolly had to do with the garage being 95ºF all day yesterday and never dropped below 80º last night. I've noticed the car's fan turning on loud while the car's charging of the HPWC. This heat wave may get me back to 230, who knows! I still miss 242 though. I think that was the peak 90% I used to get back in 2013.
Back in 2013, there were two charge levels, the one that mutated into Daily was 93%, the new daily is 90%, so you won't see 242 unless you charge at 93%.

• Informative
I charged to 90% last night and got 219 reported by the app, the dash read 220.
Pretty low, but probably balance/algorithm issues. I haven't been below 40% in a months, nor over 90% in even longer. I often charge to 70%.
Just shy of 70k miles, VIN 17xxx.
I'm planning an extensive road trip soon so I expect the numbers to change a little.

• Informative