Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know the feeling. In my case I didn't know if it was the algorithm or degradation. It's probably a little of both. The good news is that it starts to stabilize.
Interestingly my BMW i3 has actually gained a little range after two years. But BMW ships it with a buffer as there is a 22kWh battery of which only about 19kWh is available. That's also why it has full regen at a 100% charge. Sort of like owning a 60D that comes with the 75kWh battery.

But Telsa always wants to over promise and under deliver. When selling the car, they promote 294mi of range. In reality, after five months, it's more like this. 256 @ 90% = 284 rated miles (RM) @ 100%. But my car drops an RM for every 273W consumed, while actually averaging 303W/mi, so in reality I get 256mi of real driving range (273 / 303 = .9 * 294 = 256) in a car that is advertised as having 294mi of range. The reality is I get 13% less range than was advertised while my BMW is getting about 5% more than advertised.

Kinda funny how the math works out that my 90% charge is also my real world driving range with a 100% charge.

90% is 248 miles after 4.5 months and 5,600 miles on my P90DL. Initially 252-254 in late May, but immediately dropped to 248 after a software update. Has remained at 248 since then. I always charge to 90% and keep in plugged in. It's been charged to 100% maybe 5 times and supercharged a dozen times. Normal charge is at 40 amps. Haven't done a 100% charge in several months.

Comment on your Leaf... that is definitely the original Leaf battery issue.
Our 2015 Leaf just crossed over 35k miles in 11 months. No degradation of the battery at all. Still get ~100 miles in city or ~80 on highway.
It's one part the poor chemistry mix of the original Leaf pack (remember, the pack had two different chemistry cells to cut costs), lack of any meaningful thermal management (again, cost cutting), and the fact that it's brutally hot out here for much of the year (I live about 20 miles outside of Mojave, CA).

After 3 months and about 2500 miles, I'm still getting 268 @ 90%. Since the beginning it's been 268-269, it kind of bounces around. It will drop to around 266 if the car sits for a couple of days, but that's vampire loss.

I've never charged to 100%, but I guess that would be around 298 rated miles. I guess I got lucky and got a pack that, so far, hasn't degraded any.

The car has also been light on problems. There was a bit of red paint in the white under the frunk lid on delivery which they got rid of before I took it home and it appears the baffle for directing the air conditioning vents don't direct air up to the upper vents quite right. Cold air leaks into the passenger footwell when the A/C is on, much to my SO's annoyance. I'm taking it in today for that.

After 3 months and about 2500 miles, I'm still getting 268 @ 90%. Since the beginning it's been 268-269, it kind of bounces around. It will drop to around 266 if the car sits for a couple of days, but that's vampire loss.

I've never charged to 100%, but I guess that would be around 298 rated miles. I guess I got lucky and got a pack that, so far, hasn't degraded any.

The car has also been light on problems. There was a bit of red paint in the white under the frunk lid on delivery which they got rid of before I took it home and it appears the baffle for directing the air conditioning vents don't direct air up to the upper vents quite right. Cold air leaks into the passenger footwell when the A/C is on, much to my SO's annoyance. I'm taking it in today for that.
You just jinxed it with the "I guess I got lucky and got a pack that, so far, hasn't degraded any..." comment.

I am still at 235 rated miles at 90%. Now at 8,500 miles.
Now usually charging to 50% on a daily basis using HPWC with 131 rated miles.
Car usually plugged in.
The few times (once actually) that I got to 99% I was at 263 rated miles.
I have never gone below 15% and probably should one of these days.
When brand new in March 2016 I do recall 241 rated miles at 90%... so I have lost 6 miles on the P90DL.
It probably needs a balancing....

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
  • Funny
Reactions: SmartElectric
Update on my early 2013 S85:
90% - 223 Rated, 260 Ideal miles
100% - 248 Rated, 281 Ideal miles
I have an A-pack with about 73,000 miles on the clock.

Report from our early 2013 (A-pack).
Interestingly, we live close (60 miles) to @mknox, so our cars have gone through similar weather conditions (winter, etc).

50000 miles (80000 km)

When charging from UMC:
90% 230 miles (371 km)
100% 256 miles (413 km)

When supercharging:
100% 259 miles (417 km)

These numbers haven't moved for the past year and 20000 km of driving.

We've supercharged a dozen times over the past year, and the few times we've done that to 100% the range registers as 417 km, and it takes about 5 km of driving for the range number on the dash to start dropping. Interesting behaviour which we don't see when charging at 24A on our UMC in the garage.

Reactions: tdjvfr
Interestingly my BMW i3 has actually gained a little range after two years. But BMW ships it with a buffer as there is a 22kWh battery of which only about 19kWh is available

My Smart ED has a 17.6 kWh battery pack, and I actually have slightly more capacity than that based on the battery measurement done at my one and only visit to the dealership (to do the 20000 km maintenance) in the past 3 years. So my little sub $20K car is at least as good as the BMW i3 in that respect.

But Telsa always wants to over promise and under deliver... The reality is I get 13% less range than was advertised while my BMW is getting about 5% more than advertised

Let's put this in perspective :
My family has a Tesla that has only lost 3% range in 3.5 years 80000 km, and that is 410 km out of 425 km original range.
Whereas my Smart ED and your BMW i3 start with ~ 100 km range and have about that much now.

So you claim Tesla is under delivering on range?! Seriously.

Just curious....wanted to see some people info just for fun and discussion purposes.

I have a 70D, received it a week ago. At pick up the 90% charge gave me 213 range. This morning my 90% gave me 215 range.

I suspect it has to do with my driving style calculated. I am averaging 304kw/mi according to the console.

I live in Southern California.
Is the recommendation 80% charge nightly or 90%? Or does it depend on your daily driving habits? Anyone have any recs?

Is the recommendation 80% charge nightly or 90%? Or does it depend on your daily driving habits? Anyone have any recs?
If you know your driving schedule rather well, and it's minimal, then no harm in charging to 60% nightly. Then charge more if you know you are going to need the extra the next day. If your life is a little more....unpredictable, you can stick to the 80 or 90% charge nightly.

/edit Basically since I know my driving schedule rather well, I charge just as much as I need, keeping my car around 60-70% charged every day.

I took mine to the service center to check cold air leaking from the lower vents when the A/C is on. After they checked with engineering in Palo Alto, they found out it was working as designed, so they ended up doing nothing. I do wish they had talked to engineering before I had to drive all the way down there.

They said they didn't do anything to the car, but I just charged it to 90% and it says 271. It was 268 before I took it in. There was a minor firmware update while it was in the shop.