Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 S60 w/ 50,600k miles. CPO so I don't know the charging patterns... I've only had it above 90% five times since delivery seven weeks ago.

90% = 179.82mi per teslafi
99% = 197.86mi per teslafi (charging stopped at 99%)

I assume that this is reasonable degradation.

2013 S60 w/ 50,600k miles. CPO so I don't know the charging patterns... I've only had it above 90% five times since delivery seven weeks ago.

90% = 179.82mi per teslafi
99% = 197.86mi per teslafi (charging stopped at 99%)

I assume that this is reasonable degradation.
I'd be pleased with those numbers, not that it is saying much given my lower numbers. If one assumes a new S60 had 208 RM that is a bit less than 5% lower, which I would consider reasonable. Just my opinion though.

So are they claiming that's normal degradation despite the fact you've driven to reasonable pack extremes to help eliminate calibration?
Not really. The first Tesla tech told me my charging pattern might be the problem a month ago. I haven't had a chance to get back to him since my road trip. I want to charge to 90% to take another reading and see how much the numbers have changed before I contact him again.

To put it in perspective: my trip notes show one of my 95% charges was 171 RM. Even driving that leg slowly — well below the speed limit — I arrived at the next Supercharger Station (Tremonton UT) with just 10 RM left (I don't like to push it when I am out in the boonies doing 600 miles in a day, that's a long day already without having to call Roadside Assistance). It takes a long time to Supercharge to 95% in an S60, but I'm glad I did. Normal degradation? I don't think so. I'll see what the Tesla tech says.

I know I've reported before, but I keep a little spreadsheet and track my 90 and 100% numbers from time to time. Here are my latest stats:

Early 2013 with 85 kWh A-pack. 81,000 miles on the clock. All with Range Mode Off (it does make a little difference):

Last 90% charge: 219 Rated Miles, 248 Ideal Miles
Last 100% charge: 248 Rated Miles, 281 Ideal Miles (note: this was last July... the last time I did a 100% charge).

EDIT: When the car was brand new, I got 265 Rated Miles at 100%

Greeted by the following this morning:
ChargeRestricted (Small).jpeg

Got to work, with about 67% SoC (137 miles). Plugged in and car won't charge. Simply says "charge complete".

So they actually replaced the entire pack, rather than loaning me one while mine is rebuilt.

I was told it was "New". I asked twice about that, as I expected a refurb. I was told new.

Invoice, however, says:
ASSY,HV BATTERY,S3BB,REMAN,MDLS
(1088815-01-D)

So I suspect service folks simply meant it wasn't a rebuild of mine.

It does appear to be a D-pack however. My previous was a "-B" pack.

Charging it to 90% now to see what it does...

Just charged my early 2016 90D to 90% yesterday at supercharger. 251 rated miles.

Mileage: 13785 miles

Note my tesla is thr old fascia so rated miles for this car is a bit less compared to the new fascia even though the capacity is thr same on both. It is just what constants the car uses in calculating the rated miles according to wk057.

Just charged my early 2016 90D to 90% yesterday at supercharger. 251 rated miles.

Mileage: 13785 miles

Note my tesla is thr old fascia so rated miles for this car is a bit less compared to the new fascia even though the capacity is thr same on both. It is just what constants the car uses in calculating the rated miles according to wk057.

I have an April 2016 90D that is just about to clock 20,000 miles. While I typically charge to 80% (and that shows about 220 RM) my full 100% charges are down to 273 or 274 miles.

The very first max charge the day after delivery I got 301 RM, and then for the first month, max charges showed about 295 RM and have slowly dropped after that.

It appears I'm looking at about 9% degradation in the first year. (273/300=.91)

Comments?

15k miles on my 85D delivered July 2015 - was 239.6 miles @90% when I got it and has actually increased to 243.5 miles. Measured with Range Mode off while touching carbon fibre that this trend hangs in there!

I have an April 2016 90D that is just about to clock 20,000 miles. While I typically charge to 80% (and that shows about 220 RM) my full 100% charges are down to 273 or 274 miles.

The very first max charge the day after delivery I got 301 RM, and then for the first month, max charges showed about 295 RM and have slowly dropped after that.

Comments?
Not good. If you complain they will likely tell you it's normal but it's not.

Not good. If you complain they will likely tell you it's normal but it's not.
It's interesting though, it seems many people, maybe the majority see up to 5% degradation in the first year, yet there are many that report virtually no degradation after 1 year or more. My 4% degradation came very early in my first year, but hasn't changed at all since then.

Just a touch over 64000 miles, and my 2013 S85 gets 231 miles at 90%. It used to be 227 mi, but slowly has grown over past year to a steady 231. At home w/ HPWC I usually slow-charge the car at anywhere from 12-28 amps. Takes longer but seems to have greatly reduced battery degrading. That or Tesla's messing with the firmware algorithms.

Comments?
Yeah I have no idea. I do only charge like once every 2 to 3 days. I leave mine unplugged overnights when I don't need the charge. Same goes when I do business trip over multiple days. I just charge to 80% and then leave it unplugged. This is not recommended by tesla, but I monitor the battery through the app. Also I hear daily charging is not good for it because of the heating of the battery. But then again that is my experience. Others can comment on this.

Note the 300 rated miles you got in the beginning was a fluke so don't use that values when calculating degradation. The 294 is the EPA rated miles and that is what you should get only in the first few thousands miles and degradation will bring it down to a more realistic value which is like around 280 or so I believe. For your car it should be 285 because the new fascia model S have higher rated miles than the old cars. The most I ever got was 286 miles @ 100% for my old fascia model S 90D.

Another thing you can try is to go on a road trip or just run the battery down as low as you can and then supercharge. Repeat this a couple times. I hear people recovered a few miles this way.