Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 delivered in May of that year S85.

221 rated / 256 ideal at 90 %. Have 20,000 miles and a lifetime 373 kWh / mile.

Sounds low. They have revamped the software so many times I really do not know what to think. I rarely charge to 90. Usually charge to 70 or 80. Have supercharged six times. Perhaps because I park and charge on my driveway (no room in garage, of course)?

Always charging to 90% or higher typically yields the best range.
Is there any consensus on whether there's a tradeoff between what charging behavior yields "best range" and what yields "optimal battery lifespan"?

Elsewhere on the forums, I've read that keeping the battery between 20% and 80% is best for lifespan, and some have even said keeping SOC at 50% is ideal. But would that also be expected to result in decreasing range, or is this simply a matter of losing calibration when charge cycle deltas are relatively small?

My 90% has gone from 239 to 233 rated miles over the span of a year. This might be because I've been charging only to 80% most of the time, and I never go below 20%. Does the battery periodically need to be exercised over its full range to report accurate stats, and is it a good idea to do so? Haven't really seen an answer to this yet.

Is there any consensus on whether there's a tradeoff between what charging behavior yields "best range" and what yields "optimal battery lifespan"?

Elsewhere on the forums, I've read that keeping the battery between 20% and 80% is best for lifespan, and some have even said keeping SOC at 50% is ideal. But would that also be expected to result in decreasing range, or is this simply a matter of losing calibration when charge cycle deltas are relatively small?

My 90% has gone from 239 to 233 rated miles over the span of a year. This might be because I've been charging only to 80% most of the time, and I never go below 20%. Does the battery periodically need to be exercised over its full range to report accurate stats, and is it a good idea to do so? Haven't really seen an answer to this yet.
Nobody but Tesla knows for sure. All we know is that 20-50% charge is the best for the battery, but if the car isn't charged to 90% regularly, the battery gets out of balance. It's possible to get it back into balance with either many consecutive range charges, or just charging to 100% for a while(both are bad). Hot rodding the car with a low state of charge is also bad, so if you step on it all of the time, it's better to charge to 90%.

All we know is that 20-50% charge is the best for the battery...

My problem with that is when my car gets near 20%, it'll start limiting power and throwing messages to "Charge Soon", particularly if it's cold out:

IMG_0153.JPG

2013 delivered in May of that year S85.

221 rated / 256 ideal at 90 %. Have 20,000 miles and a lifetime 373 kWh / mile.

Sounds low. They have revamped the software so many times I really do not know what to think. I rarely charge to 90. Usually charge to 70 or 80. Have supercharged six times. Perhaps because I park and charge on my driveway (no room in garage, of course)?

That's pretty consistent with me (you are a bit higher, but I have over 56,000 miles on my March 2013 S85). I'm around 218 Rated at 90%, and the big drop happened during the first year or so then remained fairly steady since.

Charged mine up to 100% + 30-45 minutes of what I assume was rebalancing, down to 18%, then back up to 90% for the first time in about 18 months. I recovered a mess of miles: was 227.9 at 90%, now it's 232.4. Much better rebound than I had hoped. 16k miles now, built in 11/2013.

60,000 miles on the car, 41,000 on this battery that I know of (mine was a refurb replacement pack due to the contactor issues, before the service centers could fix them). My 90% charge is 238 miles, range charge is 264 miles (240/266 when installed). I always charge at 80A when at home, and supercharge without concern (although I don't have a "local" supercharger).

60,000 miles on the car, 41,000 on this battery that I know of (mine was a refurb replacement pack due to the contactor issues, before the service centers could fix them). My 90% charge is 238 miles, range charge is 264 miles (240/266 when installed). I always charge at 80A when at home, and supercharge without concern (although I don't have a "local" supercharger).
It's interesting that your 90% is substantially above average (and above the standard "new" value of 235), but your 100% isn't.

It's interesting that your 90% is substantially above average (and above the standard "new" value of 235), but your 100% isn't.

265 Rated Miles is standard for the 85 kWh pack. My S85 came in spot on 265 on a 100% charge I did when it was nearly new, and I got around 240 @ 90% at that time.

EDIT: Although at that time, they only had two charging options: Trip (100%) and Daily (??? %) so I can't be sure about my early 90% numbers.

*shrug* If I walk out to the car within 2 hours of it completing charge it'll be at either 238 or 237 (238 seems to be there for about 30 minutes or so). A full range charge was 266 until about 2 months ago, when it dropped to 264 or so. Either way, it's not bad for a refurbished pack with at least 41,500 miles.