Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So over the last couple of months my 90% has drifted down rather quickly. My charging habits have remained unchanged. A couple of months ago I was getting 185-186 miles rated range at 90% charge. That drifted down a bit to 183-184. Now today down to 182. The only thing of note is that over the summer I usually park in my basement garage which sits at a steady 64 degrees F. So a nice cool way to store the car when not in use. This summer that garage is unavailable so I have been parking in my outdoor barn/garage. It gets quite a bit hotter in there. Sometimes well over 90 degrees. I wonder if this is a contributing factor accelerating my range degradation. Or maybe just firmware updates. Or maybe just something else... I don't know.

So over the last couple of months my 90% has drifted down rather quickly. My charging habits have remained unchanged. A couple of months ago I was getting 185-186 miles rated range at 90% charge. That drifted down a bit to 183-184. Now today down to 182. The only thing of note is that over the summer I usually park in my basement garage which sits at a steady 64 degrees F. So a nice cool way to store the car when not in use. This summer that garage is unavailable so I have been parking in my outdoor barn/garage. It gets quite a bit hotter in there. Sometimes well over 90 degrees. I wonder if this is a contributing factor accelerating my range degradation. Or maybe just firmware updates. Or maybe just something else... I don't know.

Please do not construe this as being rude, b/c that is not the intent. I feel that a +/- 5 mile variance is in the noise level of the pack charging conditions and isn't an indicator that you really have had any degradation. So the difference you are seeing in rated range now vs. then could simply be an illusion from the imprecision in calculating the capacity of your battery pack.

Please do not construe this as being rude, b/c that is not the intent. I feel that a +/- 5 mile variance is in the noise level of the pack charging conditions and isn't an indicator that you really have had any degradation. So the difference you are seeing in rated range now vs. then could simply be an illusion from the imprecision in calculating the capacity of your battery pack.

Not sure how this explanation jives with reality. On a daily basis, charging to the same SOC, mine will always hit the mark to within 1 rated mile. I've never woken up one day to see 5 miles more or less than the previous day at the same SOC. If it were noise related, you would expect this to be the case.

Not sure how this explanation jives with reality. On a daily basis, charging to the same SOC, mine will always hit the mark to within 1 rated mile. I've never woken up one day to see 5 miles more or less than the previous day at the same SOC. If it were noise related, you would expect this to be the case.

Yet I do see variation. Week to week, I see 90% at higher or lower values. But then, my battery had to go back to Freemont for refurbishment, so maybe that was just a defect of my specific pack.

Yet I do see variation. Week to week, I see 90% at higher or lower values. But then, my battery had to go back to Freemont for refurbishment, so maybe that was just a defect of my specific pack.

Don't think it's the pack. I used to see 214-218 miles at a 90% level. I thought maybe I missed the slider, and hit 91%, no it was at 90% (I even posted pics in a different thread, showing both the % value and RM). That's 4 miles delta for the same % charge.

Now I'm seeing a constant 213 (I "lost" a RM, might need to charge to 100% to recalibrate, but it's not that big of a deal), no budging up or down.

I seem to get 182-184 randomly. 2014 S60 with 5k miles. Mid to upper 80s temps.

I get 173 consistently on VIN03737 with 43K and took delivery in Jan 2013 and charge from home with 14-50 in garage and various Chargepoint 30AMP stations in Seattle area with overnight Temps in upper 50's and starting from various states of 0% charge to 40% roughly.

Yes, it could be just noise. However my car usually doesn't vary that much day to day. I might see +/- 3 miles between summer and winter, but usually less. Like I said, not sure if there is really any actual degradation going on or if this is more of just a range calc fluctuation. But it is definitely trending downward. Not getting any miles back. That may change when I do another road trip which usually consists of a range charge or two plus a drive from full to empty. If I see any fluctuations, usually it's after a trip like that, and usually I get an improvement in range. Just making note of it. We will see if I ever see 184-185 @90% again. Considering I have almost 54K on the car, I am pretty happy with 182 rated range @90%.

When I picked up the car last June '14 it was 183. 26k miles later it's 178. I been to superchargers least 35 times since I had the car. 60 Model S| Midnight BlueMetallic | Tan Leather Seats | 19" Wheels | Premium interior & sound | Pano roof, | Super Charger | Tech |Led turning fog lights |Cold Weather & center console

I find it interesting that so many owners seem to have variability, but that may be because I've almost always charged to either 90% or 98% since I got it. My 90% was always 239 for the first several months, then 238, and now it's 237. I've done a total of 4 range charges (100%) in the 17 months I've had it, counting last night, where it peaked at 264. I drove it 4 miles and used 1.2kW to take it down to 260 miles so it wouldn't sit at 100% overnight. Interestingly, it reported 262 rated miles when I went to work this morning! Reverse vampire drain! (Not sure what else to call it)

So I normally charge every day to 90% and have been getting 221-222 for a very long time. Recently I took a trip where I range charged then drove it down under 10%. The next day I charged to 90% I got 226. So for those disappointed with your numbers try this first you might be pleasantly surprised

Newbie question (waiting for delivery)... Why do you set the charge to 90% when charging at home overnight? I know the last bit takes the largest but is it bad for the battery to go to 100%? If these are the 90% numbers, can you still fill it up to 100% if you are planning to go on a longer trip?

Newbie question (waiting for delivery)... Why do you set the charge to 90% when charging at home overnight? I know the last bit takes the largest but is it bad for the battery to go to 100%? If these are the 90% numbers, can you still fill it up to 100% if you are planning to go on a longer trip?

Charging 50-90% is the recommended daily setting. You can charge to 100% whenever you need/want to, but you should not leave the car above 90% for more than an hour or two as staying above 90% (especially in the heat) can degrade the battery. But feel free to charge to 100% whenever you need to and head out with the car shortly once it finishes charging.