Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I normally charge every day to 90% and have been getting 221-222 for a very long time. Recently I took a trip where I range charged then drove it down under 10%. The next day I charged to 90% I got 226. So for those disappointed with your numbers try this first you might be pleasantly surprised

In June, I took a road trip to Chicago where I was doing much deeper discharges than I normally do, hoping for something like this. Unfortunately, I was down a mile or 2 at 90% upon my return.

In June, I took a road trip to Chicago where I was doing much deeper discharges than I normally do, hoping for something like this. Unfortunately, I was down a mile or 2 at 90% upon my return.
Did you get down below 10%? That's the key... the closer you get to 0%, the more accurate it can be when you charge back up to a level where it balances >= 90%
Although I do think you got a little unlucky with the pack you got.... perhaps you have a few cells in your pack that have died or something

So I have been seeing a constant 238 on my 85D 6,400 mile 90% charge. Yesterday I charged to 100% for a drive to Cherokee NC and waited until 45 minutes before our departure time before starting to charge it from my customary 90% charge. (That's what it estimated on our dual charger 80AMP setup). After it stayed on "4 minutes remaining" for about 7 minutes it lowered its kWh and AMP's and stayed there with just "charging" on the display. No time remaining just "charging". We averaged 280 per mile on our 230 mile trip with a comfortable 14% remaining when we arrived home.

Here he is the interesting part. We stayed at 100% for much longer than I am accustomed to beginning our drive. Last night after charging to our normal 90% during the wee hours of the morning at .0492 per kWh I awoke to see 241 as my 90% charge. Seeing as we don't do 100% charges often there does seem to be a re-balancing / configuration/ reading of the battery pack when a 100% is done after a while. Our 238 has been rock solid for over a month of watching and 241 after one 100% and used down to 14% in a single day.

Ineteresring food from thought for a Sunday morning
What was your 100% rated range showing? Is this with range mode on? Also did you actually let it finish charging(if you did how long from 90%) or just left when you needed to? Thanks

So I normally charge every day to 90% and have been getting 221-222 for a very long time. Recently I took a trip where I range charged then drove it down under 10%. The next day I charged to 90% I got 226. So for those disappointed with your numbers try this first you might be pleasantly surprised

I have actually seen the opposite happen lately on my S60. If i charge to my normal 90% and then drive down below 10-20% or so, my next charge is a few miles lower. It then seems to come back over a few 90% charges.

S85 July 2013, 27k miles.

Screen Shot 2015-08-30 at 4.02.04 PM.png

My Signature Model S charged to 205 at 90% and 228 at 100%. That was the first full charge I had done in months. The last time I did a full charge in the Spring time, I got 231 rated miles, but drove 19 miles before that number dropped at all. This time at 228 the rated range dropped before I went even a half mile. On the other end of the spectrum, I have not driven below 90 miles of rated range in over a year and most of my charging has been to about 60 or 70%.