Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine has gone up 4 miles in 7 days. So I don't know how anyone can draw conclusions with less than a thousand samples.

Ha! This forum is all about drawing conclusions from 1 sample! :rolleyes:

Still, I find it interesting just how much variability there seems to be within a battery pack size and comparable age and miles. My classic 85, delivered in March of 2014, is holding steady at 239 rated miles at a 90% charge.

Mine has gone up 4 miles in 7 days. So I don't know how anyone can draw conclusions with less than a thousand samples.

I agree.

If you haven't seen my separate thread, take a look:
Displayed Range and Seasonality

Quick summary is that the "rated miles" displayed by the car tends to vary with a reasonable correlation to the outside temperature. Through several thousand samples, you can see that in the winter my maximum range tends to drop and in the spring it goes back up. Linear regression on the data after my battery pack replacement in early 2014 shows a range loss of approximately -1.5 miles per year. I'll continue to update that as we go into spring, 2016.

Still, I find it interesting just how much variability there seems to be within a battery pack size and comparable age and miles. My classic 85, delivered in March of 2014, is holding steady at 239 rated miles at a 90% charge.

My S85 with ~7000 miles and 4.5 months on the new battery shows much less rated miles 90%. But it delivers 320 kW peak power at 90%. I'd be curious to see how the peak power agrees with yours.

Ha! This forum is all about drawing conclusions from 1 sample! :rolleyes:

There are a couple of places that collect and compile more data.
PlugIn America has interesting data on Model S, Roadster and a few others. There are a few reports of Model S with very high mileage. Please report yours too:
Plug In America

I know I'm watching too close at this point but about 400 miles on the clock and dropped from 245 to 244. Likely not the cause but last night i delayed charging until the late morning so it finished before I would leave today thinking it would help regen. I still had a yellow line when I left so 2 hours of charging at 33 amps didn't eliminate the line. From here I'm just going to let it charge when I get home right away and see how long I stay at 244 or if it somehow goes back up to 245 again.

I know I'm watching too close at this point but about 400 miles on the clock and dropped from 245 to 244. Likely not the cause but last night i delayed charging until the late morning so it finished before I would leave today thinking it would help regen. I still had a yellow line when I left so 2 hours of charging at 33 amps didn't eliminate the line. From here I'm just going to let it charge when I get home right away and see how long I stay at 244 or if it somehow goes back up to 245 again.

244 seems great. Have you ever charged to 100%? If so what was that #?

290 mi on my car. My 90% was 245 when I first got the car and now it is 244...

Haven't done a 100% range charge yet.

244 seems great. Have you ever charged to 100%? If so what was that #?

Haven't done a 100% charge yet since I really haven't even dropped below 175 rated miles in a day yet. All my reading showed the old base was 93% so maybe I'll kick off a boost just above 90% before I make a 50 mile round trip journey tomorrow and see if it bumps me back to 245 at 90% though right now I'm not really sweating one mile loss since I know it's going to happen eventually :)

Ps, something I've noticed which I'm sure is par for the course... Regardless of what the number is it hits on end of charge by the morning it's down a couple of miles. Not sure for most folks here if they just look at the number before they drive the next day but may be worth turning on charge complete notifications so you see what the number was right when it stopped charging vs hours later.

Last edited:
I know I'm watching too close at this point but about 400 miles on the clock and dropped from 245 to 244

I agree, you are watching things to closely. :rolleyes:

After 70000 km, our Tesla gets us to every destination, and here in Ontario, we have a small set of superchargers. Enjoy your new car. We changed our settings so the car reports percentage of charge remaining rather than the rated range. Makes it much easier to calculate fuel capacity because percentage is what the navigation reports for the trip planner.

We changed our settings so the car reports percentage of charge remaining rather than the rated range.

I did the same thing. I originally did it because I was obsessing too much over the Rated Range numbers constantly in my face. I relaxed significantly after switching to %.

This is when it occurred to me that putting range numbers on a fuel gauge makes no sense. I have never seen an ICE car's gas gauge calibrated in miles / kms based on it's EPA combined fuel efficiency rating... which is exactly what putting the Rated number on the Model S is doing. You will likely never achieve that number in "real life" driving. It makes more sense to me to have my "fuel gauge" calibrated on a scale of 0 to 100% rather than 0 to 265 miles (or whatever your Rated number is). If I want to know how far I can really go, I flip open the Energy App on the 17' screen and look at the projection there based on my real time, actual conditions driving.