Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suppose that's true, and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but Tesla used to say the the standard cars and the performance (P) cars got the exact same efficiency if driven the same. So in that case a smaller (non-P) motor wasn't more efficient for some reason??? I wonder what it is about the D cars that makes the front motor that much more efficient. Electric motors are already quite efficient, and it's the same energy requirement to power the car down the road in either case.

Well the P has the same motor, just a different inverter.

I suppose that's true, and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but Tesla used to say the the standard cars and the performance (P) cars got the exact same efficiency if driven the same. So in that case a smaller (non-P) motor wasn't more efficient for some reason??? I wonder what it is about the D cars that makes the front motor that much more efficient. Electric motors are already quite efficient, and it's the same energy requirement to power the car down the road in either case.
Because Hiroshi is in Japan, the numbers used are based using JIS. Initially the 2004 Prius was touted at 85 mpg. We later learned that the 85 mpg was based on the 10 mph cycle and the Imperial gallon.

Because Hiroshi is in Japan, the numbers used are based using JIS. Initially the 2004 Prius was touted at 85 mpg. We later learned that the 85 mpg was based on the 10 mph cycle and the Imperial gallon.

Hi, Jerry, that's not my point. Japan Model S seem to have the same or very similar software as European Model S. So I guess Euro P85 typical range at 100% is smaller than P85D typical range.

How about in the U.S.? Is Rated range at 100% bigger with dual motor cars than with single motor cars? Maybe as you mentioned in the previous post, the definition of typical and rated might have been changed. But wonder why? Why did Tesla need to increase typical / rated range for dual motors, when in fact P85D has shorter range than P85??

This was true only when comparing the S85 and P85, both of which had identical rear motors but different inverters. The P85 inverter provided more current than the S85 inverter, but the motors were the same.

This was true only when comparing the S85 and P85, both of which had identical rear motors but different inverters. The P85 inverter provided more current than the S85 inverter, but the motors were the same.

I had thought that the electric motor was already very efficient. Could the newer front motor be that much more efficient such that it delivers more range? You're still pulling the same mass down the highway in either case. Remember, these aren't ICE engines operating around 18% efficiency where an improvement there could actually be material.

I had thought that the electric motor was already very efficient. Could the newer front motor be that much more efficient such that it delivers more range? You're still pulling the same mass down the highway in either case. Remember, these aren't ICE engines operating around 18% efficiency where an improvement there could actually be material.
There's motor efficiency, inverter efficiency, and drivetrain efficiency. Perhaps not fully powering the inverter is where the savings lies.

The reason two motors provide longer range than a single motor is partly due to torque sleep whereby Tesla only engages the smaller, front motor at freeway cruising speeds. This allows greater efficiency in that band. There is also the fact that when you have two motors doing the work of what was previously a single motor, you are sending less current to each motor and incurring fewer resistive losses. But I'm a Realtor, I'm not supposed to know about these things! lol