Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may help everyone, this is Tesla's official response that I had got from them. In short, the 90% charge is going to reflect the algo learning how you drive, so its going to be different for everyone and likely seasonal as well. If you drive harder, or in less ideal conditions, etc then seems as though it will learn and you'll get less than others' 90% versus starting at the same and just losing miles faster.

"
The original 240 miles (for 70D) is based on a test of the vehicle’s driving efficiency in ideal driving conditions. Clear sky, no traffic, 60-65 MPH. As the vehicle is exposed to your various driving conditions which can allow efficiency to falter from time to time, the vehicle will soon adapt to the conditions and display a more accurate or real-time estimate of miles based on that history.

Essentially the vehicle’s algorithm that projects usable range has learned your driving conditions/style and thus the apparent loss of range. You should continue to feel confident in your vehicles battery as regardless of what may happen over time you are covered for 8 years Unlimited miles if there is something that comes up with the Battery.

"

Mar 2015 85D -30k miles. 240rated 90% , range mode on. Maybe the last 7.1 update helped increase my number/due to the "better" regen in cold weather.?

It was 245 new...then 243...then after doing 70% daily charges it slowly declined the displayed rated range.

Daily Charged to 70% for the first few months of ownership but started to see decline of displayed rated range when charged to 90% on diff occasions.

Switched over to 90% daily charging and it stayed pretty consistent between 238-239 for the last 6-8 months.

I've charged many times past 90%..usually 97-99%..always tried to do full charge to complete,but many times I don't have time to wait at a supercharger that extra hour for the last 1%. Lol

Range charged fully complete maybe twice.

Done many trips with range going down as low as 4-6 miles.

One of the recent firmwares changed the algo. I've found mine to be aggressively pessimistic and stubborn. I bet they messed with the hysteresis so all it takes is a couple of deep cycles to improve that number. I did numerous deep cycles on 7.0 and did not ever see my range budge.

2013 S85 42k miles. My 90% has risen to 226 miles after dipping as low as 218 at the end of last year.

Not sure what caused the change. The only difference is that I discharged lower than normal every Saturday and Sunday for skiing at the local hill then recharged that evening to 90%. The discharge was to about 30-35%. Alternatively, if it takes driving behavior into account, it's been an incredibly warm winter so my Wh/mi is lower than in previous years.

This may help everyone, this is Tesla's official response that I had got from them. In short, the 90% charge is going to reflect the algo learning how you drive, so its going to be different for everyone and likely seasonal as well. If you drive harder, or in less ideal conditions, etc then seems as though it will learn and you'll get less than others' 90% versus starting at the same and just losing miles faster.

Official response from whom? Unfortunately, various people at Tesla have said everything from what you posted to aliens affecting the range.

If indeed driving style affected the car, then we would see far more variation than we currently do with rated range @ 90%. My rated range would change based on whether my wife or I were driving the car for any given week - and I'm not seeing that in the actual data. Keep in mind that Tesla has two variables in the API: there's battery_range and est_battery_range. est_battery_range takes into account the way you've been driving over the past <x> miles, while battery_range is free of that impact.

I think you were fed some BS to make you go "oh, okay."

- - - Updated - - -

2013 S85 42k miles. My 90% has risen to 226 miles after dipping as low as 218 at the end of last year.

Not sure what caused the change. The only difference is that I discharged lower than normal every Saturday and Sunday for skiing at the local hill then recharged that evening to 90%. The discharge was to about 30-35%. Alternatively, if it takes driving behavior into account, it's been an incredibly warm winter so my Wh/mi is lower than in previous years.

This isn't inconsistent with my experience. It would likely line right up with a moving average of ambient temperature.

If indeed driving style affected the car, then we would see far more variation than we currently do with rated range @ 90%. My rated range would change based on whether my wife or I were driving the car for any given week - and I'm not seeing that in the actual data.

Not necessarily. There is considerable hysteresis in the algo so it really takes a lot to get those numbers to budge. At least that's what I found until one of the recent firmwares as noted up thread.

July 2015 85D, ~7K miles, now at 241 miles at 90%, up from 239 after latest firmware. Was 240 @ 90% when new.

Mon-Fri charged to 90%, timed for when I leave for work, so car sits for 8 hours at ~80% and 12 hours at ~70% typically. Rarely charge on weekends, so that is a deeper cycle, usually down to 50-60%. Range charges average out to once or twice a month.

"
The original 240 miles (for 70D) is based on a test of the vehicle’s driving efficiency in ideal driving conditions. Clear sky, no traffic, 60-65 MPH. As the vehicle is exposed to your various driving conditions which can allow efficiency to falter from time to time, the vehicle will soon adapt to the conditions and display a more accurate or real-time estimate of miles based on that history.

Essentially the vehicle’s algorithm that projects usable range has learned your driving conditions/style and thus the apparent loss of range. You should continue to feel confident in your vehicles battery as regardless of what may happen over time you are covered for 8 years Unlimited miles if there is something that comes up with the Battery.

"
Many people seem to receive this kind of (mis)information, Just to clarify, there are three range options in display, only one of which reflects the inidivual driver and conditions:

Rated range: the range based on the EPA 5-cycle test. Has nothing to do with your driving habits.
Ideal range: seems to be based on a steady 65 mph drive
Estimated range: reflects your own driving and conditions, thus projects range given continuing what you have been doing.
It would be easier for everyone were tesla to make a big deal about these three, but they do not.

In the US:
Estimated range is used for the new car range indictions.
CPO range estimates for cars other than 70 and 90 seem to be based on ideal range (i.e. steady 65 mph).