Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right, so if you have a version 2 or 3 battery (which you probably do) your 100% was 294 rated miles new or ~264 @90%. The first thing I would do would be to rebalance and recalibrate your battery to see where it's really at. Over time the algorithm that gives you the rated miles number on the dashboard gets out of whack after months of charging. The way you do this is to run your battery down below 10% then do a full 100% charge which will trigger the balancing and calibration of your rated range number. It's more likely than not that you didn't lose 14 miles of rated range but if after performing this procedure you are still significantly below 264 bring it up with your Service Center.

Follow up -

I followed your suggested and ran my battery down to 11% (is that close enough or needs to be under 10%?) which got me 280 miles @ 100% then 1 week later my charge was 251 miles @ 90%. I've recovered 2 miles @ 90% since Xmas day but am still quite below the average.

I mentioned it to Tesla in emails discussing other work, their response was -
"Cold weather will take some mileage from the battery as it would need to maintain a level in the battery pack. Your car will adjust its range according to your driving style; if you are driving more enthusiastically your car will show less range. The 12 miles difference you are seeing are due to the car learning to your driving style. The NEDC range (New European Driving Cycle) – this is similar to the quoted MPG found on other manufacturer websites, is the figure your car would show on the first drive, similar to that on the website. So the vehicle learns the way that you drive so when you fully charge the car, it tells you how many miles you will get from a full charge with your driving style. This will be different for every owner though! However if you have further questions about range, please do make contact with the [email protected]"

Do you think I should be raising this with [email protected] for further investigation? It is a CPO I picked up in October I have never had more than 252 miles @ 90%. I'm not entirely convinced by it learning my driving style.

100%.PNG

90%.PNG

Last edited:
Follow up -

I followed your suggested and ran my battery down to 11% (is that close enough or needs to be under 10%?) which got me 280 miles @ 100% then 1 week later my charge was 251 miles @ 90%. I've recovered 2 miles @ 90% since Xmas day but am still quite below the average.

I mentioned it to Tesla in emails discussing other work, their response was -
"Cold weather will take some mileage from the battery as it would need to maintain a level in the battery pack. Your car will adjust its range according to your driving style; if you are driving more enthusiastically your car will show less range. The 12 miles difference you are seeing are due to the car learning to your driving style. The NEDC range (New European Driving Cycle) – this is similar to the quoted MPG found on other manufacturer websites, is the figure your car would show on the first drive, similar to that on the website. So the vehicle learns the way that you drive so when you fully charge the car, it tells you how many miles you will get from a full charge with your driving style. This will be different for every owner though! However if you have further questions about range, please do make contact with the [email protected]"

Do you think I should be raising this with [email protected] for further investigation? It is a CPO I picked up in October I have never had more than 252 miles @ 90%. I'm not entirely convinced by it learning my driving style.

View attachment 210804

View attachment 210805
First of all, driving style has absolutely nothing to do with EPA rated miles. It's a specific 5 stage test so driving more or less aggressively would have no impact on your EPA Rated miles but would impact actual miles. It doesn't learn your driving style for EPA rated miles. Cold/warm weather would impact it some.

11% is close enough and it sounds like you were able to rebalance and get an additional 2 miles. There's two things that are confusing to me though; one is your Remote S screenshot shows a much higher "Rated" number than what you're saying so I assume "Typical" is the same as my "Rated"? Second is which battery version you have. If you have the original v1 90D (as I do) which came out in June/July 2015 and continued through at least the end of that year your numbers are fine. If you have the next version, v2, of the 90D then you should have more that 280 EPA Rated Miles at 100% charge.

First of all, driving style has absolutely nothing to do with EPA rated miles. It's a specific 5 stage test so driving more or less aggressively would have no impact on your EPA Rated miles but would impact actual miles. It doesn't learn your driving style for EPA rated miles. Cold/warm weather would impact it some.

11% is close enough and it sounds like you were able to rebalance and get an additional 2 miles. There's two things that are confusing to me though; one is your Remote S screenshot shows a much higher "Rated" number than what you're saying so I assume "Typical" is the same as my "Rated"? Second is which battery version you have. If you have the original v1 90D (as I do) which came out in June/July 2015 and continued through at least the end of that year your numbers are fine. If you have the next version, v2, of the 90D then you should have more that 280 EPA Rated Miles at 100% charge.

1. Yes in the UK it appears as Typical on Remote S for some reason.
2. My battery pack is 1088790-00-A.

If I take my Remote S screen shot of 75.41 kWh added between 11-100% that means my pack capacity is sitting at 84.73 kW (75.41 kW is 79% of 84.73 kW if that very basic maths is accurate).

Last edited:
1. Yes in the UK it appears as Typical on Remote S for some reason.
2. My battery pack is 1088790-00-A.
That pack should do better than 280. As I remember it originally did 294. If I were you I'd make sure to have that noted in a Work Order during your next Service Center visit and ask for a written response. You lost roughly 5% with a little under 5k miles on your odometer. I lost a little under 2% with about 8k on my odometer. The weather is warmer here in Southern California but not enough to make up that much of a difference.
I would expect your range loss to stabilize and maybe come back a little this Spring but it would make sense to get your issue documented just in case.

That pack should do better than 280. As I remember it originally did 294. If I were you I'd make sure to have that noted in a Work Order during your next Service Center visit and ask for a written response. You lost roughly 5% with a little under 5k miles on your odometer. I lost a little under 2% with about 8k on my odometer. The weather is warmer here in Southern California but not enough to make up that much of a difference.
I would expect your range loss to stabilize and maybe come back a little this Spring but it would make sense to get your issue documented just in case.

Thanks Ill do that. Its at the Service Center in a few weeks for some other work Ill see if anyone can have a look. It actually lost 5% at 1200 miles when I picked it up a few months ago (252 miles @ 90% back then) - in warmer conditions. It was ex-demo maybe been thrashed on test drives or loaner?

Thanks Ill do that. Its at the Service Center in a few weeks for some other work Ill see if anyone can have a look. It actually lost 5% at 1200 miles when I picked it up a few months ago (252 miles @ 90% back then) - in warmer conditions. It was ex-demo maybe been thrashed on test drives or loaner?
I doubt they could thrash it unless they did too frequent 100% charges but Tesla would have that historical data in addition to everything else.
FYI, I had a similar issue as yours except mine was a range loss from 286 Rated Miles (new) to ~276 after 12 weeks. I had it documented in a WO as I suggested to you and they responded on the work order that it wasn't normal and would be corrected in a future firmware release which was done a few months later. Bottom line, there's hope.

chalmc80, what's the SC feedback about your 90% range ? Is there any faulty module on your battery ?

I am curious because my MS 90D @ 90% has 402 km (250 mi). I have 10.000 km on the odometer and the car is 6 months old.
I am pretty happy about the battery ageing since I lost just 1 km of range @ 90%. Indeed, when it was brand new my 90% was 403 km.

Thanks