Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In contrast to all these wonderful numbers above, a recent 99 percent charge for me gave 178 RM. That would be about 180 for 100 percent, down about 13 percent from the EPA range, I believe.

Spoke with Tesla service and he thought it was due to a charge pattern that makes it difficult for the car to accurately measure capacity. (I typically charge to 70 percent at home because I live in the mountains and need the regen to descend to lower elevation, which is already very limited due to a cold battery.) Makes sense to me.

Have to make a road trip tomorrow to Portland OR, for a family emergency, and am curious to see if a more normal charging regimen down in the flatlands will improve my RM score. Hope so.

So, be grateful for all your super high 90 percent ranges! :)

Snow tires off, new tires on, ready to go... I've put 20,000 miles on my S60 in one year, so it works for me.

Last edited:
What I've been calling "practical" range is going to be much lower than the 335 mile rated range or the 307 mile 90% range that we're seeing.

For road trips, we usually charge up to 90% (if using the SC network) and try to keep the charge above 10% on the trip, reducing the effective range by 20%.

Travelling at typical highway speeds (75-80 MPH) reduces the effective range by another 30%.

That means for typical highway driving, and staying within the normal charging levels - practical range is around 56% of the full rated range. Plus, after several years, battery packs see some degradation - which could be another 5% of loss - bringing the long term practical range down to 53% of the original rated range.

Our S P85 had an original rated range of 265, which degraded about 5% after several years - the "practical range" was around 140 miles - which matched our experience on long road trips - any gaps between superchargers at 140 miles or further apart usually required slowing down to reach the next charger.

Our new S 100D should have a long term practical range of around 177 miles. While that's not as much as the 70 mile gap in rated range between S P85 and S 100D, that additional 37 miles of practical range is huge - because that's higher than the gaps between superchargers - and should avoid any slow downs on road trips, except in unusual conditions (like strong headwinds).

Of course, by better energy management, it's possible to stretch further than the practical range, though if you want to avoid "range anxiety" - and just drive, without having to constantly monitor energy consumption, it's very possible Musk's comments about the 100 kWh battery as their limit (for now) may be correct - the combination of the 100 battery packs and the SC network may be enough to just drive and not have to worry about running out of charge...

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver
About 94,500 miles on my Sept. 2013 S85.
It's been very consistent 221 miles at 90%, 223 when I turn on range mode.
I do alter the charge limit, most of the time I have it at 70% but 2-3 times a week set it to 90%. I rarely get below 30%, so the algorithm may be pretty far off on mine.
It has remained the same for well over a year I think, and it gets me where I need to go every time!

This morning, our S 100D at 90% is at 309. If that's correct, 100% could be 343, which is what I had projected the 100D range would be, before Tesla announced their estimate of 335.

The S90D gets 9% more range than an SP90D, so if an S100D gets 9% more range than an SP100D, that would put the S100D range around 343 - which could be what we are seeing.

I'm not planning to charge above 90% right now - someone else with a new 100D can do that to their battery pack - and determine the 100% range.

Reactions: Sather
I don't often charge all the way to 90% - usually just 80%, but did so earlier today. 268. I've only once charged almost to 100% - that went to 298. It wasn't finished, but it had to be close. 2 month old S 90D, 4,500 miles.

FWIW, my 2010 Roadster Sport charges to 161 miles.

Attachments

• IMG_1776.JPG
    IMG_1776.JPG
    482.8 KB · Views: 48
We are on our first road trip with our S 100D - a 175 mile one way trip.

With our S P85, we would have to stop at a supercharger for 5-10 minutes to get enough charge to reach our destination, typically with 30-40 miles of rated range left.

With the S 100D, we didn't have to stop - and we had 90 miles of rated range left (after starting with 90% charge).

Our S P85 (after 5% battery degradation) gets around 225 miles of rated range at 90%. This means our S 100D gets around 84 miles more of rated range than our S P85 at 90%.

Also believe the dual motor is more efficient than our rear drive P85. With the P85, it would use 30% more energy at typical highway speeds, compared to rated range. With the S 100D, it looks like it uses 25% more energy than rated range at highway speeds.

This could mean that our S 100D may effectively have around 100 miles more rated range (at 90%) than our S P85!

Amazing...

• Informative
Reactions: jmsurpri