Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got 36K on my 2016 Model S 75 RWD. My 90% is 207 and my 100% is 231. (I've ranged charged twice in the last two weeks to see if magical BMS adjustments would occur.) I'm not sure if I should be concerned because these numbers may indicate more degradation than I expected. My car was at a body shop for 16 weeks without being charged (when I picked it up it was at 47%) but I have no real reason to believe this 4 month absence of charging has anything to do with my lower-than-expected (for me) numbers.

I've got 36K on my 2016 Model S 75 RWD. My 90% is 207 and my 100% is 231. (I've ranged charged twice in the last two weeks to see if magical BMS adjustments would occur.) I'm not sure if I should be concerned because these numbers may indicate more degradation than I expected. My car was at a body shop for 16 weeks without being charged (when I picked it up it was at 47%) but I have no real reason to believe this 4 month absence of charging has anything to do with my lower-than-expected (for me) numbers.
IMHO, ideal numbers are better for indicating battery degradation than rated miles because the ideal miles aren't messed with every couple of releases (or at least they don't seem to be). Charging to 93% or more activates the balancing circuits, but they can take quite a while to do their thing. (Doesn't matter what you charge to once they are activated, they stay activated until complete.) However, this will only make a difference if your pack was out of balance to start with.

Best practice is to notify the Service Centre so that they can look at the car and have it on record (be sure you get and keep a copy of the work they do).

Reactions: bobjustbob
Something weird happened with my P90D. My 90% has settled in at 241 for a while now (244 when new). I took the car down to 3% yesterday and this morning 90% is 246. So my magic battery now has more rated range than when new. I suspect a little wonkiness with the algorithm rather than actual capacity that high. Will be interesting to see what it settles back down to.

P85+ 2014 with about 24k in mileage...

90% 233 (sometimes 234)
100% (265 both times i did !00%)

Feeling really good about that compared to others here....
As someone with roughly the same mileage and stats (238 at 90%, 263 at 100%) on a 2014 P85 with rev. D battery, I'm curious about something: how often do you plug your car in?

I plug in maybe twice a week, when needed. Yes, I know we've been told that "a plugged-in Tesla is a happy Tesla," but I normally don't leave the car plugged in for longer than it takes to charge. My battery shows very little degradation (when new, it was 240 at 90% and 265 at 100%), and I'm still on my original 12V battery after 3 years.

Could it be that many short charging cycles are actually not as beneficial as fewer overall cycles, and/or avoiding the low end of the battery's range? (I don't know; it's something I'm wondering based on my experience.) Maybe there's a behavioral component, or maybe some people just get luckier with their chemistry. ;)