Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2012 P85 90% 218 rated miles... sc doing a battery health test today to make sure it's not something wrong in the pack
Yep, that's what they told me yesterday as well. Just try to balance it out once a month etc etc...

Update to this... I had the car run to zero on me, abruptly lost ~6% of capacity, and was having some surging when regen braking from ~20-25Mph down through 15-10Mph. SC said there were some cell imbalances and is replacing the pack.

Model S 70D :cool:
New - 30K - Charge
240 - 236 - 100%
216 - 212 - 90%
90% charging.PNG
IMG_7596.PNG

9/2016 90D, 14k miles. 90% at 258 miles. I have only charged to 100% twice. Will charging to 100% harm the battery, or improve the estimated/actual range?
I've charged to 100% a few times and 95%+ a few times. I've not noticed any issue in my rated miles. However, I've always made a trip right after charging. I did not let my car sit after doing a full charge.

I have noticed a problem in running my car < 10%. I think people over emphasize 100% charging and under emphasize the ill effects of running your battery low.

2013 85 115k miles
219 90%
247 100%

It has been consistent for several years.
I never really did a very low to very high charge session, so the algorithm is likely off.
The last time I went very low (December 2017 I had 12 range miles left, so about 5%) the power restriction was still above the 160kw line; so I probably have a number of miles below 0. So 247 "range miles" is probably a low estimate for my car.

Let me know how to monitor AH
There's a number of tools out there, I don't like to push one or the other. I'm leaving on a trip tomorrow so I'll be charging to 90% and I'll post both the AH and the "rated" millage.

The only thing I don't like about that is I've heard that the Wh/mi can vary between FW versions (someone else can chip in here if that's true) but I'll see what I come up with.

What rev is your battery pack? I have a late 13 P85+ with around 83k miles and I still get about 226 @ 90%. I have a rev B pack.

Looks like a Rev B according to the sticker.

I've done three cross USA road trips, one was over 15,000 miles, and I've used a bunch of supercharging on those road trips. I thought maybe that caused more wear, but I've seen conflicting anecdotes of others that have used many superchargers.

Boston service center found a stuck (open) louver for cooling and didn't have the replacement part, so told me to replace it when I got home. On the way home, I crossed Texas and it dropped to freezing temperatures. During that same segment, I saw my max range take the biggest hit. It dropped 5 or 7 (can't remember) miles in one charge / drive. Never recovered. I wonder if the stuck open air flow in the cold weather caused the front of the battery to get too cold and some cells were damaged. But, that's all guesswork on my part. From what I've read, I'm still within what Tesla considers normal.

• Informative
Reactions: JHawk
Looks like a Rev B according to the sticker.

I've done three cross USA road trips, one was over 15,000 miles, and I've used a bunch of supercharging on those road trips. I thought maybe that caused more wear, but I've seen conflicting anecdotes of others that have used many superchargers.

Boston service center found a stuck (open) louver for cooling and didn't have the replacement part, so told me to replace it when I got home. On the way home, I crossed Texas and it dropped to freezing temperatures. During that same segment, I saw my max range take the biggest hit. It dropped 5 or 7 (can't remember) miles in one charge / drive. Never recovered. I wonder if the stuck open air flow in the cold weather caused the front of the battery to get too cold and some cells were damaged. But, that's all guesswork on my part. From what I've read, I'm still within what Tesla considers normal.
Interesting. I supercharge a lot (multiple times a week) and haven't had any degradation as a result, so I doubt supercharging would affect you. The 85 packs are pretty bulletproof. That stuck louver could have caused some issues though, but I'm no service person so who knows.