Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is the 60 kWh battery really 60? Serious question. Maybe it’s really 58 kWh (just a guess). Was your AC on? Spirited driving? Etc?

But your range does seem low.

wk057's investigation into the Tesla firmware revealed these as the actual pack sizes.
  • Original 60 – ~61 kWh total capacity, ~58.5 kWh usable.
  • 85/P85/85D/P85D – ~81.5 kWh total capacity, ~77.5 kWh usable
  • 90D/P90D – ~85.8 kWh total capacity, 81.8 kWh usable
  • Original 70 – ~71.2 kWh total capacity, 68.8 kWh usable
  • 75/75D – 75 kWh total capacity, 72.6 kWh usable
  • Software limited 60/60D – 62.4 kWh usable
  • Software limited 70/70D – 65.9 kWh usable

is the 60 kWh battery really 60? Serious question. Maybe it’s really 58 kWh (just a guess). Was your AC on? Spirited driving? Etc?

It was mid to upper 70s so I had the A/C on a bit here and there but unless I'm misunderstanding the avg kWh/mi figure, wouldn't any non driving related battery usage show up in that average? I.e if I pree-cooled the vehicle it would increase the kWh usage but since no mileage was accrued, it would drive up that avg kWh/mi. I sent screenshots to the SC and they are going to investigate the logs once again.

So I've done the 3 charges to 100% down below 20% and my 90% and 100% rated miles are exactly the same. The alarming thing to me, assuming I'm not missing something, is that on my last charge to 100% I drove until the battery was ~5% and my trip section shows that in that 95% battery usage I went 126.4 miles with a 309 Wh/mi average and total energy used was 39.1kWh. I know my 60kWh battery is not 100% usable but the fact that I only get 39.1kWh out of 95% of the battery seems to really suggest to me that something isn't right.

I feel your pain. Your experience is very similar to what I went through last year. I used 39 kwH to drive 130 miles (see image) and had 7 miles remaining with alarms firing to find somewhere to charge. Tesla Service said all of their diagnostics looked fine, and unfortunately their responsiveness and customer service were suboptimal. In the end, I canceled my Model 3 reservation and have shared my experience with colleagues and friends who have considered purchasing a Tesla. I hope you have a much better outcome than I did.

Attachments

• IMG_3066.JPG
    IMG_3066.JPG
    367.6 KB · Views: 87
I feel your pain. Your experience is very similar to what I went through last year. I used 39 kwH to drive 130 miles (see image) and had 7 miles remaining with alarms firing to find somewhere to charge. Tesla Service said all of their diagnostics looked fine, and unfortunately their responsiveness and customer service were suboptimal. In the end, I canceled my Model 3 reservation and have shared my experience with colleagues and friends who have considered purchasing a Tesla. I hope you have a much better outcome than I did.
That looks almost identical to mine:
Capture.JPG

I've been a huge advocate to friends and coworkers but if the response is that 30%+ battery degradation is "normal and healthy" then my tune will absolutely change.

It was mid to upper 70s so I had the A/C on a bit here and there but unless I'm misunderstanding the avg kWh/mi figure, wouldn't any non driving related battery usage show up in that average? I.e if I pree-cooled the vehicle it would increase the kWh usage but since no mileage was accrued, it would drive up that avg kWh/mi. I sent screenshots to the SC and they are going to investigate the logs once again.
No, energy used while the car is in "Off" mode are not accrued in the kWh used. If I range charge then leave "Keep climate on" during a winter cold snap, I could deplete the battery (to 20% of course) without the energy being counted by the trip meters. This is how I keep my average number down; by pre-heating in winter and pre-cooling in summer. This goes the same for "vampire" losses, they're not counted either.
So if you went from 95% to 5% over the course of 3 or 4 days, using pre-cooling extensively, you might loose a noticeable amount of kWh.
If it was all in one day, perhaps 2, with minimal or no pre-cooling, then unfortunately your TOTAL ENERGY used may be close to accurate.

@Fiver answered, but here it is in chart form
TeslaBatteryGenerations.jpg

I've noticed an odd thing when I charge to more than 90%. For a day or two afterwards my 90% will be a bit higher. I charged to 95% on Sunday and Monday my 90% was 270 miles. My car has always done that, but I haven't seen anyone else report that quirk.

That looks almost identical to mine:
View attachment 299699
I've been a huge advocate to friends and coworkers but if the response is that 30%+ battery degradation is "normal and healthy" then my tune will absolutely change.
The SC called me with their engineers response after studying the logs again and they said the battery is normal and healthy. Their math goes something like this: Total usable = ~58.5kWh but 0% isnt actually 0%, there is really ~7% still available at 0% to protect you from yourself. So my 39.1kWh used over 95% plus the 5% remaining plus the ~7% buffer means by their calculation "only" a 13% range loss which is within expectation for my battery, which to me still adds up to more then 13%. It seems my ~45kWh of accessible capacity is more then a 20% degradation from the original 58.5kWh based off of all the math they confirmed but I know now that since they've determined the pack to be healthy then no amount of degradation will be considered abnormal. Pretty disappointing if you ask me that the best case scenario of a 13% range loss requires me to drive on 0% for 20+ miles and trust that the capacity is actually there to support that and even if all of that range was visible without being an "invisible" buffer and I still have 80% (at the very best) use of the original capacity.

• Informative
Reactions: asim120
The SC called me with their engineers response after studying the logs again and they said the battery is normal and healthy. Their math goes something like this: Total usable = ~58.5kWh but 0% isnt actually 0%, there is really ~7% still available at 0% to protect you from yourself. So my 39.1kWh used over 95% plus the 5% remaining plus the ~7% buffer means by their calculation "only" a 13% range loss which is within expectation for my battery, which to me still adds up to more then 13%. It seems my ~45kWh of accessible capacity is more then a 20% degradation from the original 58.5kWh based off of all the math they confirmed but I know now that since they've determined the pack to be healthy then no amount of degradation will be considered abnormal. Pretty disappointing if you ask me that the best case scenario of a 13% range loss requires me to drive on 0% for 20+ miles and trust that the capacity is actually there to support that and even if all of that range was visible without being an "invisible" buffer and I still have 80% (at the very best) use of the original capacity.
If there is an extra 7% available, I don't think it's there for you to drive on.. It's there to protect the battery from catastrophic failure when going so low in charge.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
If there is an extra 7% available, I don't think it's there for you to drive on.. It's there to protect the battery from catastrophic failure when going so low in charge.
I guess that would make sense, but assuming that's the case then that same 7% existed when my battery originally had 206 miles at 100%, so to me it doesn't change the amount of degradation in the equation. Maybe it's possible that 7% didn't exist and through a firmware update they "blocked" that 7% off for the catastrophic failure protection. If that were the case, I wish they would just be transparent with everything instead of giving a standard "battery is healthy" response.

So I've done the 3 charges to 100% down below 20% and my 90% and 100% rated miles are exactly the same. The alarming thing to me, assuming I'm not missing something, is that on my last charge to 100% I drove until the battery was ~5% and my trip section shows that in that 95% battery usage I went 126.4 miles with a 309 Wh/mi average and total energy used was 39.1kWh. I know my 60kWh battery is not 100% usable but the fact that I only get 39.1kWh out of 95% of the battery seems to really suggest to me that something isn't right.
I get 70 kWh on the odometer this charge section after a full charge and immediately leaving and no time for phantom drain. its a 2016 90D built in Feb

Last edited:
2014 Model S60, 60,300 miles with a lifetime 319kWh/m average. I currently get a very disappointing 150 rated miles @ 90% and 167 for a full range charge. Nearly 20% degradation and the service center says this is normal and within expected limits and reminded me degradation wasn't included in the 8yr 125,000 mile warranty. All of the data I've seen aggregated from others make it seem like I'm an outlier and that something is wrong even though the SC says my battery is "healthy"
The extended warranty is not 125,000 miles. It covers 8 years or 100,000 miles. It adds an additional 4 years/50,000 miles to the standard 4 year/50,000 mile warranty.

20% degradation in your situation is ridiculous. While Tesla may not cover degradation, Tesla does cover battery failure. You likely have one or more battery modules that have failed, and if so, Tesla must fix those under the extended warranty and/or battery warranty. Diagnosing a failed battery module is a more involved process, apparently. Based on what I've read here, it's not something that pops up in the logs and requires a higher level diagnosis.

Ask your service center to check for a failed battery module. It sounds like they are giving you BS answers to try and make you go away.

wk057's investigation into the Tesla firmware revealed these as the actual pack sizes.
  • Original 60 – ~61 kWh total capacity, ~58.5 kWh usable.
  • 85/P85/85D/P85D – ~81.5 kWh total capacity, ~77.5 kWh usable
  • 90D/P90D – ~85.8 kWh total capacity, 81.8 kWh usable
  • Original 70 – ~71.2 kWh total capacity, 68.8 kWh usable
  • 75/75D – 75 kWh total capacity, 72.6 kWh usable
  • Software limited 60/60D – 62.4 kWh usable
  • Software limited 70/70D – 65.9 kWh usable
Nobody has sued Tesla over false advertising and misrepresentation with the 85 and 90? Seems like owners of those battery vehicles were lied to.

Reactions: FlatSix911
The extended warranty is not 125,000 miles. It covers 8 years or 100,000 miles. It adds an additional 4 years/50,000 miles to the standard 4 year/50,000 mile warranty.

20% degradation in your situation is ridiculous. While Tesla may not cover degradation, Tesla does cover battery failure. You likely have one or more battery modules that have failed, and if so, Tesla must fix those under the extended warranty and/or battery warranty. Diagnosing a failed battery module is a more involved process, apparently. Based on what I've read here, it's not something that pops up in the logs and requires a higher level diagnosis.

Ask your service center to check for a failed battery module. It sounds like they are giving you BS answers to try and make you go away.
Doesn't the battery have slightly different warranty terms then the rest of the car? I thought it was 8 years unlimited miles for 70 and up packs, and 8 years 125k miles for the 60 packs....

/edit yea it does. From the Tesla Warranty Page:
The Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement of any malfunctioning or defective Model S or X lithium-ion battery for a period of 8 years or unlimited miles/km, with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery (manufactured before 2015) that is covered for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles (200,000 km), whichever comes first. To provide you with even more assurance, the Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty will also cover damage to your vehicle from a battery fire even if it is the result of driver error, subject to certain exclusions.

Nobody has sued Tesla over false advertising and misrepresentation with the 85 and 90? Seems like owners of those battery vehicles were lied to.

Bought my car based on range, not pack size, and the range lines up with what they said it would be. It could be any size pack for all I care as long as the distance I can drive is in line with what they advertised.

Reactions: scottf200
Fiver, how long is a rubber cord?

Range is a product of consumption and available battery capacity. You cant sue Tesla over your own consumption. You can however hang their arse out if your car is advertized as 85kwh and only ever had 81kwh. Or can you?

Consumption will wary greatly with different speed, weather and surfaces. Drove to airport in may 1, cold and misery outside, very wet and borderline on snow, consumption 295 wh/km. Returning may 10 with sunny and dry in 22C, same speed. Consumption 198 wh/km.