Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your 90%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did some googling around and see that Edmund's is advertising 315 mi range for 100D, probably for a while now. It appears the new 100Ds charge at a lower amperage than the older ones (my 2016), and the charging cable isn't a "beefy" as the older one was. Were there software updates that reduced the range by an est. 20 miles for any battery pack issues/reasons? Any owners here with 2018 100s getting a full charge of 335 mi? I will follow up with service, even with my poor expectations.

When I took delivery of my 100D in March, 100% got me 336. I have only charged it to 100% once. 90% gets me 301 typically. I will get about 5 miles of phantom loss of about 5 mies between 10PM and 5:30 AM.

2013 S85 owner.

I'm bummed. I took a 2500-mile trip to California and back in August, and that trip seemed to push me over some limit or something because all that supercharging has changed my 90% charge. I was getting 227-228 for the past 18-24 months, very happy with that, and then when I got back from this long trip, I noticed I couldn't get beyond 225. Then it maxed at 224.

So I started charging at home at 12 amps really really low power, taking a day or so... and sure enough, I got back to 225--barely. Every now and then I still supercharge and I find that the charging stops at 224, but then before I can even open the driver's door to get out and pull out the plug, it hops up to 225, by the skin of its teeth. However, as soon as I drive twenty feet away from the supercharger, it drops back to 224. :-(

With winter coming on, I fear I'll be at 222 or less by next March.

I know this is the S forum, but for a data point:
Brand spankin' new X100D. Before I even drove it off the lot I supercharged it to 100% with the odometer reading 5 miles. It topped out at 295.18 rated miles but I didn't stick around to balance the cells as I just wanted to see what it would get to on day one.

It's been 2 weeks, and I have 254 miles on the odometer now and finally today did my first charge back to 90% which leveled out at 264.77 rated.
I've been just charging it at my gym every day and it's been floating between 35% and 70% depending on how much I drive. I know keeping it around the middle of the pack charge range is overall better for the battery so I haven't seen much use to charge it up to 90% before today, it's so nice having so much range compare to my P85+.

Reactions: SmartElectric
2015 70S RWD. I just wrapped up a 2700 mile trip that brought me over 25,000 miles on the odometer. My stats are unchanged through the years. 90% is 220 miles, 100% seems to be 240+ miles, though I'm too impatient to let it complete the charge. Also, the trip recorded 269 Wh/mile, which seem almost too good.

When I took delivery of my 100D in March, 100% got me 336. I have only charged it to 100% once. 90% gets me 301 typically. I will get about 5 miles of phantom loss of about 5 mies between 10PM and 5:30 AM.

Almost same here. Full charge once at 335 miles and usually 90% (or max daily driving) for 301 miles. Last 10% is hardly worth waiting around for unless SC'ers are really scarce for your road trip. On a road trip now and currently in Monument Valley, AZ (The View Hotel). Heading back to So Cal on Monday and can't wait to sample Eddie's World in Yermo. Saw icing once and couldn't believe how accommodating Hampton Inns and Homewood Suites (by Hilton) hotels were along the way (LA - Needles - Flagstaff - Gallup, NM - Albuquerque - Santa Fe - Farmington, NM - Page, AZ) to show me where I could hook up to exterior building 110v outlets in a pinch and for a few extra miles to make the closest SC. Can do 4 mph at 110V. Ten-hour charge on 110v would be good for around 40 miles. Always on the prowl for J1772 and haven't yet invested in CHdeMo adapter. Maybe it helps to have Diamond status with Hilton.

2015 S70D with 252.000km (157.000 miles) on Odometer but it got a new battery pack some 30.000 miles ago.
90% charge gives me just about 311km/193 miles - quite disappointing.

Highlighted "new battery pack". Do you have any evidence it wasn't a refurbished pack fixed from another car and put in yours? I am not sure, but I recall that Tesla didn't make claims that pack replacement would always be sourced as a newly manufactured pack.

Highlighted "new battery pack". Do you have any evidence it wasn't a refurbished pack fixed from another car and put in yours? I am not sure, but I recall that Tesla didn't make claims that pack replacement would always be sourced as a newly manufactured pack.
I had a conversation about replacement packs with a service tech. He said that the pack would be remanufactured but was of the opinion that since the cells would have to be precisely matched it would mean all new modules being used. Couldn't say for sure though.

Of interest to me, he said that old style S60 packs are now replaced with 75s software limited to 60. If true that would be a significant benefit for my car. Not that I expect my pack to need replacing anytime soon (I'm down about 12% but it has been pretty stable there for tens of thousands of miles).

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric