TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What's your average energy consumption?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by SkyKidFalken, Dec 20, 2014.

1. SkyKidFalken

SkyKidFalken TSLA Fanboy

I was on a Chinese Tesla forum the other day. One Tesla owner was disappointed by the winter range of his/her P85.

The owner claimed the total range was only "a little more than 150KM" in winter and posted a picture.

The owner lives in a city where temperature ranges between 45 F to 32 F and had an energy consumption of 324wh/km in 150.7KM that's about 521 wh/mile in 93 miles!

(Sorry about the numbers, I live in Canada and use metric.)

500_07397620-7782-ctb9-c2t2-n202achd45f5.jpg

I was afraid this could confuse potential Tesla buyers so I quickly pointed out the owner's energy consumption and uploaded my own pictures

44445.jpg

I live in Vancouver, Canada. It's fairly warm this year. Night time temperature is usually above 36 F.

My daily energy is usually between 286wh/mile and 322h/mile

In 7825 miles, my average energy is 341wh/mile and its decreasing due to my improved understanding of the Model S in the past 2 years.

What's your average energy consumption?

2. toto_48313

toto_48313 CAN P #5

I leave in Quebec, and in winter time, if you drive short distance only 25 km or less - stop - drive again, you can have numbers like that.
    If you drive more , then numbers get closer to yours. There is a complete thread on lifetime average...

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

At 7C, the only way to get numbers like that is many short trips, racing up every hill, or stomping on the accelerator at every start. It's been around that temperature here for the past few weeks and I'm regularly getting 230 to 240 Wh/mile. You can increase your chances of getting low numbers by charging the car so that the charge ends just before you start to drive pre-heating the car with range mode off and then switching to range mode before driving.

Also my understanding is that most drivers in China can't charge at home, so every day starts with a cold car and battery. If they pre-heat the car from battery power, it reduces range.

4. AndreyATC

AndreyATC Member

Reset "A" after switching to winter tires
    Amazing low rolling resistance
    This is in 25-35F average weather using heater occasionally

Attached Files:

5. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

What winter tires did you install?

6. Aargau

Aargau Member

620 wH/mile for me. That should go down in the next few weeks.

7. swegman

swegman Member

This morning I pre-heated the car to 78 degrees before pulling out of the garage (UMC was plugged into the car so heating power was being drawn from the wall outlet). I drove away with the heater stil on. After 2 miles, the consumption indicated 701 wh/m. I turned off the heat, turned on the seat warmer to setting 3 and after another 23 miles the consumption had fallen to 345 wh/m. Outside temp was about 30 degrees at the time.

8. AndreyATC

AndreyATC Member

Michelins X-ice
    My commute is now constant 260-270whm rain or shine regardless of the temperature

9. SkyKidFalken

SkyKidFalken TSLA Fanboy

That's amazing. I can't get it under 285 wh/mile. I also turned off the battery heating and only used regenerative breaking to heat up the battery.

10. AndreyATC

AndreyATC Member

Yep, I always have range mode on
    I'd rather use brakes on those rare occasions, if there is not enough regen than waste energy on heating the battery

11. William13

William13 Member

35,000 miles averaged over 2 years with P85 seldom using Range mode. 365 Wh/mile

Lots of snow. Over 100 inches/3 meters last year.