Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your average energy consumption?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was on a Chinese Tesla forum the other day. One Tesla owner was disappointed by the winter range of his/her P85.

The owner claimed the total range was only "a little more than 150KM" in winter and posted a picture.

The owner lives in a city where temperature ranges between 45 F to 32 F and had an energy consumption of 324wh/km in 150.7KM that's about 521 wh/mile in 93 miles!

(Sorry about the numbers, I live in Canada and use metric.)

500_07397620-7782-ctb9-c2t2-n202achd45f5.jpg

I was afraid this could confuse potential Tesla buyers so I quickly pointed out the owner's energy consumption and uploaded my own pictures

44445.jpg

I live in Vancouver, Canada. It's fairly warm this year. Night time temperature is usually above 36 F.

My daily energy is usually between 286wh/mile and 322h/mile

In 7825 miles, my average energy is 341wh/mile and its decreasing due to my improved understanding of the Model S in the past 2 years.

What's your average energy consumption?

At 7C, the only way to get numbers like that is many short trips, racing up every hill, or stomping on the accelerator at every start. It's been around that temperature here for the past few weeks and I'm regularly getting 230 to 240 Wh/mile. You can increase your chances of getting low numbers by charging the car so that the charge ends just before you start to drive pre-heating the car with range mode off and then switching to range mode before driving.

Also my understanding is that most drivers in China can't charge at home, so every day starts with a cold car and battery. If they pre-heat the car from battery power, it reduces range.

This morning I pre-heated the car to 78 degrees before pulling out of the garage (UMC was plugged into the car so heating power was being drawn from the wall outlet). I drove away with the heater stil on. After 2 miles, the consumption indicated 701 wh/m. I turned off the heat, turned on the seat warmer to setting 3 and after another 23 miles the consumption had fallen to 345 wh/m. Outside temp was about 30 degrees at the time.