Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your home charging routine?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My charge port opening with a press is working perfectly with 2021.4.12 whereas it never ever did before... if they do fix others in the next update, I wonder if they'll break mine again!

When mine didn't open, there was a notification for it saying "charge port may not open when pressed".

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
But it didn't open. App works fine, as does the Tesla button. But not when pressing the charge port. Even when car is wide awake.

And back working again on two different occasions - maybe it didn't like being filmed!

When mine didn't open, there was a notification for it saying "charge port may not open when pressed".

Thanks. I didn't notice anything but then I wasn't looking for anything.

Don’t have a routine yet but just got a zappi installed. I’m hoping on sunny days to leave the car on eco mode and then if that isn’t enough, it’ll top up overnight on a cheaper rate. Don’t know yet if the zappi can do both of those things without needing intervention

And back working again on two different occasions - maybe it didn't like being filmed!

Thanks. I didn't notice anything but then I wasn't looking for anything.
Daft question, but did the charge port not open when the car was locked? But works ok when it's unlocked? That's the standard way the 'tap to open' works.

I did have a problem where tap to open didn't work, also noted to have an error message on the screen though, a ranger visit sorted that out for me!

Definitely thinking about RFID for the unlock charge port command, i can put it just on the wall inside by the front door and scan it on my way out of the house!

Daft question, but did the charge port not open when the car was locked? But works ok when it's unlocked? That's the standard way the 'tap to open' works.

I'm not aware I did anything different that in the past would have unlocked the port. On two occasions, rear car door was unlocked and one of them opened (and subsequently closed) and port still did not open. The only thing I can think of, other than user error on my part*, is that car too a while to wake, but I took that into account by waking the car with the rear door handle trick.

I had filmed this video to demonstrate how to open the charge port by pressing it, but it was a complete fail as it didn't work on this occasion.

tl;dw 56 seconds of me prodding the charge port and nothing happening

* Its not something that I do on a regular enough basis to know my actions were 100% correct.

Note to self, next time I wash the car, make sure I clean the insides of the door handles. They are beginning to look a little green!

Last edited:
The key fob for the model 3 can open and unlock the charge port while the car is locked. Just long press the boot open button.

Key Fob is also more secure for keyless entry as the Bluetooth switches off if the KeyFob is stationary for a period of time whereas the phone is always broadcasting