Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your next EV after Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another Tesla for me. Having come from the BMW world owning everything from a 3 convertible to an X5 to a 7 series, the absolutely last thing in the world I would want is to deal with a crooked BMW dealer like I have had to do for several decades. The cars aren't worth it.

Isn't the i4 just an ICE vehicle repurposed with an electric drive? Doesn't it still have the hump in the middle of the passenger compartment? I'd be more interested in the iX.

There are a passel of Chinese EVs coming to market, some of those appear pretty appealing.

Reactions: smilepak
Another Tesla for me. Having come from the BMW world owning everything from a 3 convertible to an X5 to a 7 series, the absolutely last thing in the world I would want is to deal with a crooked BMW dealer like I have had to do for several decades. The cars aren't worth it.

Isn't the i4 just an ICE vehicle repurposed with an electric drive? Doesn't it still have the hump in the middle of the passenger compartment? I'd be more interested in the iX.

There are a passel of Chinese EVs coming to market, some of those appear pretty appealing.
I believe the iX and i4 are purpose-built EV's not based on an existing ICE platform. The iX has gotten good reviews but I have a hard time with the styling. BMW has definitely lost their way in that aspect. And having to deal with a deal is a 'no' for me.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I believe the iX and i4 are purpose-built EV's not based on an existing ICE platform. The iX has gotten good reviews but I have a hard time with the styling. BMW has definitely lost their way in that aspect. And having to deal with a deal is a 'no' for me.
Too many compromises when retrofitting an electric drive to an ICE platform.

BMW's current line is hideous IMO, that monkey-buttface look is awful. I watched an interview with the designer of the X5 and he was extremely critical, too many different lines going nowhere in the front, kidneys too big. Reminds me of the ugly Bangle butt rear end they had for a few years.

What??? You mean you dont like the huge rat teeth front grill they are putting on all their vehicles. Who possibly thinks this is a good idea? lol

1649084210066.png

BMW put part of the battery in the i4's driveshaft tunnel, which was left over from the ICE 4 series chassis. Try sitting in the i4 backseat, which is useful only for children.

As to the styling, to some people a BMW (like a Mercedes and Porsche) is a status symbol and those types of buyers don't care about the radical exterior design. But go on r/BMW or any BMW online forum and you will see spirited arguments about the garish front grille. As I've said before, it wouldn't stop me from considering an i4, but there are a number of other drawbacks that would cause me concern.

As to the topic of the thread, the Kia EV6 and a Tesla M3 are the only candidates to replace our BMW 530e. I don't really need a 2nd MY and everything else is either way overpriced for what you get or has design flaws like poor range.

BMW put part of the battery in the i4's driveshaft tunnel, which was left over from the ICE 4 series chassis. Try sitting in the i4 backseat, which is useful only for children.
Interesting, as the iX has a flat rear floor. I guess they are in different platforms - I see the i4 is on a 'jack of all trades, master of none' platform that will handle ICE, hybrid and EV.

IMG_9229.jpg

Last edited:
Grills are a real sticking point for legacy car makers when they switch to EVs. So much of a car brand’s DNA is wrapped up in the grill...and yet if they go grill-less they will be accused of mimicking Tesla...and no car maker will do that as they have managed to get so many to be brand loyal with their bad boy image and commercials full of dross

My MYP is coming in a month or 2. This car is a bridge for me until I get my Rivian R1S end of 2023 or early 24'. We drove the MX and the iX, looks aside, we love the iX, its such a refined luxury EV. The MX was 20k+ over iX. We are thinking about ordering one for my wife. Still not able to get past the looks. It was parked next to the X5, which looks so much better than the iX.

Grills are a real sticking point for legacy car makers when they switch to EVs. So much of a car brand’s DNA is wrapped up in the grill...and yet if they go grill-less they will be accused of mimicking Tesla...and no car maker will do that as they have managed to get so many to be brand loyal with their bad boy image and commercials full of dross
Indeed. Porsche really has a leg up in this regard thanks to their rear engine heritage. And the Taycan shows it.

My MYP is coming in a month or 2. This car is a bridge for me until I get my Rivian R1S end of 2023 or early 24'. We drove the MX and the iX, looks aside, we love the iX, its such a refined luxury EV. The MX was 20k+ over iX. We are thinking about ordering one for my wife. Still not able to get past the looks. It was parked next to the X5, which looks so much better than the iX.
Should have read this first. Pretty much in the same boat haha.

MYP was simply the best choice on all fronts while waiting for both Rivians we ordered (EDD Q4 2022 and Q2 2023, but i'm skeptical they'll make those targets)

For me, the only substantial downside with Tesla is it's build quality. I've grown tired of all the rattles and reverbs when driving on rough roads. For now, I'll take the rattles if it means the charging network and general athletics of the car are superior, IMO. I'm learning what the best range is for me and could probably sacrifice a little if that means I'm getting a solid built car with a sufficient enough charging network. I'll have this car for a while, but I'm really intrigued by Rivian, just don't know how I can test drive one in NJ.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riguy
iX spec looks great on paper, and it's definitely on my short list of alternatives to Tesla. One thing I'm really scared of BMW (or Audi, or Mercedes) is the depreciation. If their ICE cars are any indication, basically I would be looking at losing 40-45k+ in just 3 years, vs Tesla holding up resell value extremely well. I understand it's the price to pay for enjoying latest and greatest from the 'luxury' brands, but it's a bit difficult to stomach that big of loss. Great car though!

For me, the only substantial downside with Tesla is it's build quality. I've grown tired of all the rattles and reverbs when driving on rough roads. For now, I'll take the rattles if it means the charging network and general athletics of the car are superior, IMO. I'm learning what the best range is for me and could probably sacrifice a little if that means I'm getting a solid built car with a sufficient enough charging network. I'll have this car for a while, but I'm really intrigued by Rivian, just don't know how I can test drive one in NJ.
Tough getting a test drive. The early reservation holders are getting it now. I have seen the Rivian and also been following Rivian's progress for the last 2 years. They simply are the best EV's on the road, period. The most bang for your buck and also seem to be pretty well built for a start up. If you are thinking about it, just put in a reservation, will take a year and half to 2, but you'll get there and then take the call.

• Funny
Reactions: cdub and WhiteWi
Tough getting a test drive. The early reservation holders are getting it now. I have seen the Rivian and also been following Rivian's progress for the last 2 years. They simply are the best EV's on the road, period. The most bang for your buck and also seem to be pretty well built for a start up. If you are thinking about it, just put in a reservation, will take a year and half to 2, but you'll get there and then take the call.
I hope they eventually make a car because I don't actually want a pickup/giant SUV right now. But I am very impressed with their product.

Reactions: kavyboy