Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your next EV after Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
iX spec looks great on paper, and it's definitely on my short list of alternatives to Tesla. One thing I'm really scared of BMW (or Audi, or Mercedes) is the depreciation. If their ICE cars are any indication, basically I would be looking at losing 40-45k+ in just 3 years, vs Tesla holding up resell value extremely well. I understand it's the price to pay for enjoying latest and greatest from the 'luxury' brands, but it's a bit difficult to stomach that big of loss. Great car though!
True, this is one of our major concerns. Hoping the EV's from the luxury makers dont go the ICE route and depreciate like they do. But the ride comfort on the iX from what little I have experienced with the test rides, it is pure BMW luxury. I have driven lots of luxury cars over the years but nothing even comes close on how good the iX was. Damn the iX looks, would have one on order if we can stomach that .. :)

For the price, can you show me something that is as good as the Rivian? Well I am an early reservation holder so I did get a deal. I am actually paying almost the same for my MY, what I will for my R1S.
We have no clue how 'good' the Rivian is. They've delivered, what, 2,000 cars? Let me know when there are thousands on the road and we start to see some accumulated miles and what crops up then.

We have no clue how 'good' the Rivian is. They've delivered, what, 2,000 cars? Let me know when there are thousands on the road and we start to see some accumulated miles and what crops up then.
I think it's safe to say the design of the Rivian is at least good, possibly excellent, based on all the driving we've seen from various reporters. Whether the workmanship hits the same level when they finally get to mass producing them is yet to be seen. I'm sure hoping it does.

Reactions: Daekwan
I think it's safe to say the design of the Rivian is at least good, possibly excellent, based on all the driving we've seen from various reporters. Whether the workmanship hits the same level when they finally get to mass producing them is yet to be seen. I'm sure hoping it does.
But it does make you wonder...when they couldn’t raise their prices...did they cut costs 🤷‍♂️

I certainly hope they are good, as I really like the R1S. But just going back to what Elon said about bringing the M3 to production, that it was hell, and seeing the issues that Rivian is having with their first vehicle, I just hope they get it right.

I certainly hope they are good, as I really like the R1S. But just going back to what Elon said about bringing the M3 to production, that it was hell, and seeing the issues that Rivian is having with their first vehicle, I just hope they get it right.
I dont see any reason why Rivian wouldn't be fine. Its easy to confuse Rivian with a typical EV startup. The reality is they have been around for a full decade.. and spent half of that time perfecting the truck/SUV you now see being delivered to customers. I personally remember seeing the R1T truck way back at the NY Auto show in 2018. And while I do prefer avoiding the first production year of any vehicle (big believer in letting those first bugs get worked out).. Im totally fine with the 2nd year production of any vehicle. You figure no matter how much a company tests a new vehicle.. its not until it gets into customer hands where they learn exactly what works right (and what works wrong) in the real world. This is exactly why I own a 2021 Model Y (didn't want the 1st year 2020 production due to bugs).. and previously owned a 2018 CRV (didn't want the 1st year 2017 production due to bugs).

If anything what worries about me about Rivian is that its overbuilt. This vehicle has been tested by every major car review service I can think of.. and they all absolutely rave over it. As the guy you replied too pointed out.. its "too good to be true".. at least on paper. He is (was) absolutely right.. I mean look at the stats for those that got in a launch pricing: $65K gets you a midsize truck about the size of a Toyota Tacoma.. with 4 motors.. 0-60 in 3.1 seconds and 315 miles of real world range. That same $65K spent on a Tesla: gets you a midsize SUV.. with 2 motors.. 0-60 in 4.8 seconds.. and lets be real here.. about 275 miles of real world range.

Look I get it it. This is a Tesla forum. Specifically a Model Y section of the Tesla forum. The vast majority of the people here are going to be really enthusiastic about the Model Y. But there is no doubting the Rivian truck at launch pricing provides way more bang for the buck.. or at least did before they just raised the price last month. Which is why I specifically pointed out that it was "too good to be true". With a 135kWh battery pack and quad motors.. that configuration is now $20K more expensive.. and more reasonably priced compared to competitors in the EV market. As it is currently priced.. I feel like its no longer "too good to be true". But now more appropriately priced for the product & features delivered. A good measurement stick is the upcoming Ford EV-150 Lightning.. that will cost around $70K for the dual motor configured w/131kWh extended range battery pack.

I feel like an absolute idiot not placing a pre-order on the Rivian truck when it was available under the "too good to be true" old pricing. That said with the number of existing pre-orders.. and Rivian currently only building about 1000 units per month.. I probably would have waited at least 3 years for delivery of that vehicle. And who knows what the EV market will be like 3+ years from now? Good chance there will be more attractive options by then. And Im pretty satisfied with my Model Y as-is, so I have no problem waiting a very long time before replacing my Y. When I look at the pricing of EV's in the current market.. there is a strong chance I will keep driving my Model Y for another 3-5 years.

I mostly agree, but we can evaluate what is present in the current Rivian and it looks good. Where Rivian is really behind Tesla is software and charging network. Also, I don't see the path for Rivian to a large consumer vehicle maker. I don't see how Rivian can duplicate Tesla's trajectory. It's too late in the game.

I have a MY LR and a Rivian preorder. In a rational world the MY is $50K vehicle and a Rivian with most options is at $100K. So I don't believe they serve the same market. I'm very impressed with the MY. I expect the Cybertruck to also be very impressive. My impression is that very few Rivian buyers are equally interested in Cybertruck.

They were always going to need more capital. I expect that both Rivian and Lucid Air are good enough to be brands in bigger companies.
I agree with this sentiment. I also think both brands have an excellent product and technology overall.. which will attract investors from non-typical whales. Amazon is already heavily invested in Rivian. Wouldn't surprise me to see Apple, Google, Facebook, Microsoft jump in bed with Rivian and/or Lucid.. or to see them bought out by some major automaker like the VW/Porsche or Fiat/Chrysler group.

EV's are still incredibly new. And growth is virtually unlimited for anyone invested in the current EV landscape.. if we are to believe in next 8-13 years most 1st world countries are going to really banning sales of new ICE vehicles. Canada just recently announced they are banning new ICE sales as of 2035. Tesla is no doubt the market leader and everyone is still playing follow the leader. But for this EV-revolution to happen.. then there is going to need to be a flood of new EV's on the market.. and ones that appeal to every price point, form factor, transportation need, environmental variables and use case.

Speaking of Canada.. Having a huge battery pack will be needed there to replace ICE vehicle during the frigid cold winter.

Rivian has taken the lead in the off-road truck & SUV race.
Lucid has taken the lead in the ridiculous range & luxury race.

Both vehicles have big battery packs.

Last edited:
I’m genuinely curious, what’s with all the buzz around ID Buzz? Are people really this excited to ditch tesla and drive a mini bus? There’s not that much space inside either. That looks to me like what taxi would be in the next 5 years.
There are no electric mini/micro vans currently, so a totally un-served segment. Some people want this kind of vehicle, and if so this is the only choice coming to market any time soon.

I’m genuinely curious, what’s with all the buzz around ID Buzz? Are people really this excited to ditch tesla and drive a mini bus? There’s not that much space inside either. That looks to me like what taxi would be in the next 5 years.
The extra height in the Buzz makes all the difference for sleeping in the car, if you have two people. In a MY, the narrow part is no wider than a twin mattress. In something like a Buzz, you can arrange (if VW doesn't already provide) a shelf above the wheel wells that still has enough height above to sleep on. Now you have something wider than a double bed. So for a certain segment of aging hippies, who no longer enjoy sleeping in a tent when it's cold, it's a more convenient (and more efficient) option than towing a trailer. Anyway that's the main thing for me. Other similar options (R1S, Canoo) have the same advantage, of course.

Reactions: Jersey_guy_202