Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your next EV after Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BMW i4 M50. It would likely meet or exceed any requirements that I want and need from a performance electric vehicle. And would address many deficiencies with Tesla. Good build quality, solid materials, ride quality, technology, features, customer service, comparable real-world range, etc. About the only benefit Tesla would have is the charging network - which isn't super important to me, and will eventually be a non-issue. Tesla software updates are also nice, but only if you like using your car as a beta tester.

Nothing major against our Model Y (the wife likes it), but there are a lot of really great options out there now and especially in the near future.

BMW i4 M50. It would likely meet or exceed any requirements that I want and need from a performance electric vehicle. And would address many deficiencies with Tesla. Good build quality, solid materials, ride quality, technology, features, customer service, comparable real-world range, etc. About the only benefit Tesla would have is the charging network - which isn't super important to me, and will eventually be a non-issue. Tesla software updates are also nice, but only if you like using your car as a beta tester.

Nothing major against our Model Y (the wife likes it), but there are a lot of really great options out there now and especially in the near future.

I agree with everything you said, I was actually looking at the X5e as a compromise but I think I want all electric. It'll be even more enticing if it offers the $7,500 tax rebate.

Picked up blue MYP in Feb and just absolutely love the car. Need to replace the second ICE car so have the following on order:

Another MYP but in MSM - non-refundable $250 - EDD - May
Mach-E premium - refundable $500 - EDD - does Ford even know?
Hyundai Ioniq 5 limited - refundable $500 - EDD - at MSRP, no one has any clue
Audi e-tron - refundable $1000 - EDD - at MSRP, your guess as good as mine
Lucid Air - refundable $300 - EDD - hopefully before my middle schooler graduates from high school

Looks like I’ll be picking up second MYP…

Since I don't go down the freeway opening and closing my doors, I am not impressed with some other dealer's doors or the sounds they make. Until they are electric, AND until they install a nationwide charging network, we have nothing to talk about.

Tesla is so far ahead of these "legacy" auto makers in the area of Electric Cars it's not funny. I plan on making a thousand mile trip this next weekend, all on FREE power (yes, I own an S), and I have no plan to take it down to the dealer to get my oil and filter changed, or worry about all the other little things that can go wrong with a power plant that has nearly a thousand parts. Until one drives an electric for a few months they cannot, should not, wax poetic about electrics.

All I see now are long wait lists, dealer markups, and prototypes. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it :)
Good point. I am glad we are not in the market for a car today. Still, I wouldn't know what to get honestly if we were to get another EV. The Y is so well-rounded yet I wouldn't want to have two exact cars. My choices would be at polar ends of the spectrum as I'd consider either a Taycan 4S or a base Model 3. Our YLR would serve as the trip car so the second EV wouldn't necessarily need greater range, and current slate of EV offerings is still not enough to sway me away from Tesla (aside from the Porsche).

EDIT: Macan EV would also be appealing, once it becomes available.

Reactions: cdub
The reason Tesla is yet to offer a lot of the traditional ICE features is because of the lack of competition. There are other reasons of course, but if Ford, Rivian, GM, and German auto-makers have actually delivered competitive production vehicles by now, things would be different. Tesla simply has too much edge on the competition. With tech breakthroughs and cost reduction, and the ramping up of competition, I think Tesla will start to address some of these basic features in upcoming refreshes. So, until there is real competition, my next car will still be a Tesla, likely a M3P, in 2-3 years. By then, I hope it'll have things like real blind-spot monitor, rear cross-traffic alert, auto-frunk, air suspension, etc. Well, I can dream.

Probably either an ID. Buzz or a Rivian R1S, depending on which works better for multi-week travel. Won't need it for a few more years (unless PTRA does what TSLA did so I can retire early), so there will be time to see where they go with those vehicles. Worst case I'll keep the MY and just sleep in a tent when camping, but a car that can sleep 2 comfortably is the plan.

Reactions: Horty4 and iamnid
Have a Cybertruck on order. If that disappoints there might be something else. Need something bigger than the MY.

If there is an “after” Tesla, it will depend largely on what the market looks like in 5-10 years when I’m shopping for another car.

Or if TSLA doubles in the next year… well anything I’d buy would be in addition to Tesla at that point.