Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your next EV after Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me, unless things change a bit, my next vehicle will probably not be a Tesla. I’ve enjoyed my M3LR RWD for over 3½ years but FOR ME the still-present apparently unsolvable phantom braking and ease with which driver controls are shifted and buried on the display have really turned me off. I found the touchscreen genuinely kewl when I first got it, until things started shifting around. Then, the kewlness quick wore off. Now I value real controls over virtual ones for all driving functionality and prefer displays for infotainment and non-driving functions.

But to answer the question directly, my desires for my next vehicle are these with a desired price point <$65k:
1- Hyundai Ioniq5 Limited, if I could find one I’d have it today. Test drove, liked it a lot.
2- Polestar3 when it comes out later this year. Test drove and like the Polestar2 but found it too claustrophobic for me.

If money was not at issue, I’ve be in the queue for an EQS. From the YouTube videos it is an amazing EV with what I would call appropriate trade-offs between hard controls and display with MB’s incredible quality in their high-end models. The only thing I might find “nicer” would be the upcoming 2023 Spectre EV.
Volvo struggle to even diagnose their fragile electronics in their ice vehicles....they won’t have a clue about fixing a Polestar...there is more to cars than looks and new car performance....it needs backup and Volvo don’t have a clue or care but it will be expensive...very expensive.
I had an ice Hyundai and it was a really nice dependable car

For me, unless things change a bit, my next vehicle will probably not be a Tesla. I’ve enjoyed my M3LR RWD for over 3½ years but FOR ME the still-present apparently unsolvable phantom braking and ease with which driver controls are shifted and buried on the display have really turned me off. I found the touchscreen genuinely kewl when I first got it, until things started shifting around. Then, the kewlness quick wore off. Now I value real controls over virtual ones for all driving functionality and prefer displays for infotainment and non-driving functions.

But to answer the question directly, my desires for my next vehicle are these with a desired price point <$65k:
1- Hyundai Ioniq5 Limited, if I could find one I’d have it today. Test drove, liked it a lot.
2- Polestar3 when it comes out later this year. Test drove and like the Polestar2 but found it too claustrophobic for me.

If money was not at issue, I’ve be in the queue for an EQS. From the YouTube videos it is an amazing EV with what I would call appropriate trade-offs between hard controls and display with MB’s incredible quality in their high-end models. The only thing I might find “nicer” would be the upcoming 2023 Spectre EV.
Phantom braking absolutely is solvable and basically has been solved in the newest cars with better cameras & processors. This is such a silly reason to not buy a Tesla. I have driven over 25,000 miles on autopilot in my 2021 MYLR, and have experienced basically ZERO phantom braking during that time.

I honestly wonder if the people who have serious issues with phantom braking are just not understanding that the speed limit went down on the road they are on, or that a merging car was on a collision course with them and the "phantom braking" was intended behavior. Plus, phantom braking is an extremely common issue in tons of non-Teslas as well. Basically every car with advanced driver assist features is susceptible to it.

There are plenty of valid and understandable reasons to choose a different brand over Tesla, but phantom braking really isn't one of them imo.

Not sure if my next car will be an EV. It will be replacing an SUV and depends on how well charging infrastructure is built up in northern Minnesota where l travel and recreate. If it doesn’t grow enough in the next few years I will get a hybrid or plug in hybrid.

Phantom braking absolutely is solvable and basically has been solved in the newest cars with better cameras & processors.
I’ve no personal evidence of that. In my car, it has not been solved. And the fora remain rife with reports of phantom braking in brand new Teslas on newest software. So no, this remains unsolved. Perhaps it works well for you and many others. Great. Not all.
This is such a silly reason to not buy a Tesla. I have driven over 25,000 miles on autopilot in my 2021 MYLR, and have experienced basically ZERO phantom braking during that time.
Good for you. That isn’t my experience. And your condescending, insulting comments based on your experience negating my very real ones are irrelevant to my decisions about my next car. Also, phantom braking was not my only issue with Tesla as my post described.
I honestly wonder if the people who have serious issues with phantom braking are just not understanding that the speed limit went down on the road they are on, or that a merging car was on a collision course with them and the "phantom braking" was intended behavior.
I very well understand speed limit impacts, merging car issues, and all of the other situations naysayers use to discredit phantom braking reports. I still have it, have it far too often, don’t like it, and as I said will speak with my wallet since other remediation avenues have proven ineffective FOR ME.
Plus, phantom braking is an extremely common issue in tons of non-Teslas as well. Basically every car with advanced driver assist features is susceptible to it.
In the blogs/fora of other manufacturers, I see little evidence phantom braking is more than occasional let alone extremely common. Citations?
There are plenty of valid and understandable reasons to choose a different brand over Tesla, but phantom braking really isn't one of them imo.
Again with the condescension, at least this time appended with the all-encompassing “imo.” My reasons to get another vehicle, Tesla or not, are my own. Whether or not you agree with them is of no concern to me..I don’t ask for nor need your personal validation. Do what you want, I know I will.

Probably going with the Rivian R1S in a few years. The extreme sloped hatch in both the Y and X have been a big problem for our needs (large dog), so hoping to get something like an X without the super sloped roof. I get why it's this way, but I'll need something better.

Probably going with the Rivian R1S in a few years. The extreme sloped hatch in both the Y and X have been a big problem for our needs (large dog), so hoping to get something like an X without the super sloped roof. I get why it's this way, but I'll need something better.
Holy cow (or dog hahaha) that must be a Big Dog. We have an 80lb. Labradoodle that fits just fine.

After Tesla, my next car (waiting since October) is a Tesla

I've given passing thoughts to switching to a different EV to save money but I quickly give up on the idea. In no particular order:

1. Safety
2. Supercharger Network and upcoming CCS
3. OTA
4. Tesla mission
5. The car as a car is outstanding

Every other manufacturer pales in comparison

I've already ordered a Model 3 to go with the Model Y, so it will be a while before I'm in the market for anything new. I was really hoping for something more along the lines of the cybertruck/Rivian. However they just aren't ready and I'm not waiting for the next few years to get one of those. Maybe in 5 years there will be many more options in a more rugged electric vehicle.

Doesn't sound like you need a truck, so why hope for one with all of their downsides?

Doesn't sound like you need a truck, so why hope for one with all of their downsides?
Well that response doesn't cover the things I would also like to be doing. Do I Need a truck No. Do I want a truck because I enjoy getting outdoors Hiking, Fishing, Hunting, and traveling off the paved roads. YES! A proper offroad worthy EV truck has definite advantages in that category.

We downsized from 2 ICE to 1 Tesla, plus 2 e-bikes with 2 bike-trailers. We mostly use the Tesla on road trips, and bike for local trips. But that's kind-of a waste of a perfectly good Tesla. And we can now rideshare an EV near our house at a decent price for short trips, or up to 2 days. So the "next car" may be "no car" (or more accurately: a car whenever we need a car).

• Love
Reactions: Johnny Vector