Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your next EV after Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not going to know until that time comes... likely not for another 5yrs or so when my 2017 Prime is up for replacement.

When the time comes to replace a car I have little brand loyalty. it plays a factor, but not a major one. First is requirements. what do I want my car to do? Then I whittle down to 5 or so car models. It's at that point that my perception of the brand comes into play along with the minor price differences.

To be honest, Toyota/Lexus have impressed me the most over the years. Tesla is in the middle. That doesn't mean I won't buy a Tesla again, it just means if my requirements are all met by both a Toyota and a Tesla and all other things are equal, I'd get the Toyota.

I like to keep my cars for 10yrs before getting a new one, so it's hard for me to say. I've only had my Model Y for a year, I may feel differently about Tesla in a few years (for better or worse).
I am with you. Tesla is out to prove what Toyota has proven time and again in terms of being a dependable manufacturer. Not to say I've had major problems with the Tesla, but Toyota Care is a huge asset and I'd have no questions about build quality and service options. It's likely by then too that the market will equal out and Tesla may be able to place a larger emphasis on QC. Until then the market has favored Tesla in spite of these issues, so there's no reason to invest resources there.

Ill always buy Teslas for the foreseeable future but if i had the money I’d buy a Taycan just to have a real luxury car. I dont trust the other EV startups to last and the traditional manufacturers making EVs all look boring except for the F150 lightning but i dont need a truck.
Good point, Tesla really is on an island all its own. Legacy manufacturers are trying to beat them, start-ups are trying to be them. I said in another post that a Toyota/Lexus EV comparable to the MY would be a good contender. As far as a true EV company though, my opinion of Polestar is pretty high in that they started as an EV manufacturer but are also backed by Volvo. They also have new models coming in the next 1-2 years that could rival the MY.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Overall hard to beat our Model Y. Other electric SUV's seem expensive. Would be interested to know if any around $50K.
It's amazing the generous interior storage the MY offers for the overall exterior size and appearance of the vehicle.
A few shortcomings (wiper controls) and some of the build quality. But lots of positives. Can anybody match Tesla's supercharger network and the nav system? EVGo?? Will keep an open mind. Competition is good.

Reactions: Suns_PSD and zecar
Good point, Tesla really is on an island all its own. Legacy manufacturers are trying to beat them, start-ups are trying to be them. I said in another post that a Toyota/Lexus EV comparable to the MY would be a good contender. As far as a true EV company though, my opinion of Polestar is pretty high in that they started as an EV manufacturer but are also backed by Volvo. They also have new models coming in the next 1-2 years that could rival the MY.
If Volvo have any input then Polestar will have the most fragile electronics available...with an expiry date one day after the guarantee runs out

I’m genuinely curious, what’s with all the buzz around ID Buzz? Are people really this excited to ditch tesla and drive a mini bus? There’s not that much space inside either. That looks to me like what taxi would be in the next 5 years.
It looks pretty cool. I have fond memories of a 1971 VW bus that was my first car. I like the utilitarian aspect of the van and it appears to be WAY bigger than the Model Y. Keep in mind that the US version will have a longer wheelbase than the one you can currently find pictures of online. Vans, in general, are way more useful and practical than crossovers.

I've got an order in for a Mach e on 1/6/22 to replace my wife's Volt. I've just read about the BMW i4 M40 though and it's in about the same price range. I've had 2 BMWs in the recent past and both have been excellent products from a build quality and driving characteristics. The X5 45e though (PHEV) had some faulty battery cells that took forever for BMW to replace so I had to drive in on the ICE. I got so frustrated that I invoked the lemon law and they were very professional in paying me back the full price plus TT&L.

BMW i4 M50. It would likely meet or exceed any requirements that I want and need from a performance electric vehicle. And would address many deficiencies with Tesla. Good build quality, solid materials, ride quality, technology, features, customer service, comparable real-world range, etc. About the only benefit Tesla would have is the charging network - which isn't super important to me, and will eventually be a non-issue. Tesla software updates are also nice, but only if you like using your car as a beta tester.

Nothing major against our Model Y (the wife likes it), but there are a lot of really great options out there now and especially in the near future.
I'm all ready to order an i4 40e just as soon as they add back in adaptive cruise control (only available on the M50 right now). I'm planning on a nonMsport version with few options as it's pretty well loaded as it is and I prefer rwd. It's also $10k less than a fully loaded M50.

Also have a Mach e Premium on order that's "scheduled for production".

Reactions: smilepak
I have a Porsche Taycan in addition to my Tesla Y. Its not as big in the trunk as the Y but its much nicer to drive. I added about $25k in options (rear wheel steering, air suspension, Bose stereo, bigger battery, etc.) so the cost came in (with tax) at around $110k, but then there was a $7500 tax credit. I get about the same range per charge on both the Y and the Taycan: around 250 miles on a 100% charge.
The Taycan is a sports car while the Y is a small SUV. The Tesla Y is a nice car and its fine for what it is. I've had mine for 1-1/2 years now. But at the current price, I would look at other options.
If I wanted another SUV I'd be looking at the BMW iX. I have two friends with VW id4's which they like. The iD4 is pretty basic, similar to the Tesla Y. For 'fancy', I'd go with the iX, for basic, the iD4.
I'm not planning to replace the Y now, but if I did, the thing I'd miss the most is the 'phone as key' feature. While its failed me a couple of times in the 1-1/2 years, when it works its great.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daekwan
I'm not planning to replace the Y now, but if I did, the thing I'd miss the most is the 'phone as key' feature. While its failed me a couple of times in the 1-1/2 years, when it works its great.
Same. It's only failed me a few times, but the few times it did, it has never failed me when I tapped my phone to the B-Pillar or center console. (Knocks on wood).

With that being said, have you road tripped both your Taycan and your Y? You have a preference for which you take out? Just curious. I just did a road trip up and down almost the whole length of the 5 freeway... And I tried to use my CCS adapter as much as possible... But I found the reliability/usability of the EA/CCS network to be such a let-down, that I'm glad I don't have to completely rely on it for road trips.

Reactions: cusetownusa
I'm all ready to order an i4 40e just as soon as they add back in adaptive cruise control (only available on the M50 right now). I'm planning on a nonMsport version with few options as it's pretty well loaded as it is and I prefer rwd. It's also $10k less than a fully loaded M50.

Also have a Mach e Premium on order that's "scheduled for production".
Agree there. Can’t believe they forced the only way to get ACC is to get M50. For those who wants the eDrive40 because of the range, M50 range sucks. 227!

I believe the iX and i4 are purpose-built EV's not based on an existing ICE platform. The iX has gotten good reviews but I have a hard time with the styling. BMW has definitely lost their way in that aspect. And having to deal with a deal is a 'no' for me.
I4 is built off the 4 series ICE grand coupe. IX is a full bespoke EV but sucked in built efficiency. Not frunk. Extremely heavy and huge battery. But extremely comfortable well built interior.

While I just took delivery of my MYLR last month and love everything about it, if I had to choose what my next EV would be, it would have to be either a VW iD Buzz or a MINI Urbanaut, which is still just in prototype form. But if it ever came to production, I think I'd have to strongly consider it, having previously owned two MINIs. However, with the recent news about BMW charging crazy subscription fees for things like heated seats, I don't know if I will ever consider a BMW product again (MINI is owned by BMW).

I kind of what something like a Bolt as a beater EV... It gets tiring babying my MYP: parking in the far lot, constantly dodging bad drivers, keeping it away from bird droppings, not even attempting to park in urban environments/street side, seeing random kids touching it on sentry mode, etc...
HAHAH I'm the same way. Right now I use my Prius Prime as the beater EV. Only 25mi range, but plenty to go to Costco and not worry about door dings on the nicer EV.