Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your next EV after Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I kind of what something like a Bolt as a beater EV... It gets tiring babying my MYP: parking in the far lot, constantly dodging bad drivers, keeping it away from bird droppings, not even attempting to park in urban environments/street side, seeing random kids touching it on sentry mode, etc...

Was looking for a Bolt also but accepted delivery on a MINI SE that I ordered back in Feb. I don't give a rats ass about tight spaces, drive throughs, downtown garages, crappy busy urban areas anymore. Zero babying unlike with my Teslas. I drive it like a lunatic... it's only $24K after tax credit.

Photo Jun 13, 4 20 52 PM.jpg

It gets tiring babying my MYP
Some people can't understand why I don't baby my MY, and don't worry about paint scuffs, gravel roads, etc. It's a fun car, and I love using it. So I do. It won't always look the same, but those scuffs from the side of my garage door will fade into the background and in a year I won't even notice them any more.

Sold the Y (after ~6 months) and put the deposit on GV60. As much as I was telling myself (and others -:)) that the Y was a pragmatic decision, which it certainly was, saved me a lot on gas-I travel a lot, at the end of the day I was not happy with the car... Can't complain, sold it for more than purchased in January.

PS have some minor items for sale... Model Y "Starter Kit" in NJ

Reactions: Suns_PSD
I expect to buy one of the last 2022 Chevy Bolts made. It is supposed to be assembled the week of July 18th and I'll be paying MSRP -$500 for it (around $27,000 before TTL). It will primarily be my wife's around town car - she doesn't like driving our 2021 Model Y. The folks over on Chevybolt.org say that I won't be getting a 2022 because they've already shut down 2022 production to tool up for the 2023s. I guess I'll find out.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
I expect to buy one of the last 2022 Chevy Bolts made. It is supposed to be assembled the week of July 18th and I'll be paying MSRP -$500 for it (around $27,000 before TTL). It will primarily be my wife's around town car - she doesn't like driving our 2021 Model Y. The folks over on Chevybolt.org say that I won't be getting a 2022 because they've already shut down 2022 production to tool up for the 2023s. I guess I'll find out.
I've 2017 Bolt & 2020 MY-I got the battery replaced and now waiting for the T$LA split and Texas MY to open order will replace Bolt with another MY (4680). Indeed Bolt is perfect commuting car.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
We have to get a replacement for our 3LR by the end of the year. So far, another 3 is the leading candidate. Whatever we get has to have good acceleration, sporty driving characteristics, fast charging, and similar pricing. If anyone has a recommendation for some other vehicles to check out let me know.

Assuming Atlis Motor Vehicle's 3/4 ton truck dream can succeed... the XT.

Purported:
500 range
Up to 35K towing capacity (dually config)
15 minute 0~100% charge on megawatt charging infrastructure.

Could very well be vaporware... so if it goes poof, most likely a Ford F150 lightning.

Legacy car makers still make ICE kind of cars but just put the batteries there instead. I still don't see the mindset shift, the electric - it's a whole different approach.
The biggest gap of all - is software.... damn, Apple iPad was released more than 10 years ago, but most of the infotainment systems in new cars are slower than the first iPad, the display resolution is worse than the first iPad and UX is very unfunctional... WHY? Why they can't put the hardware that was used in the 10-year-old iPad to make it better???
Legacy car makers still think that if they put fancy leather, aluminum, wood, LEDs and other visual perks - it will make car looks cool, expensive, and comfortable and people will like it and it is competitive.

Remember mobile phones before iPhone?
Manufacturers like Nokia and others were competing in different design in buttons, thickness of the body and size of the phone, how big is the battery and there were many many fancy designs.
After the iPhone was released - all phones look almost the same since then and people don't care. They put the phone case on the top and use it (now people wrap their cars with PPF). And people choose the phone now based on the functionality of the software.

The same thing happens with cars. EV cars of the future - are the software first. And I feel like only Tesla understands it. Until other car makers make this shift, I don't think that I ll consider those cars to purchase.

Legacy car makers still make ICE kind of cars but just put the batteries there instead. I still don't see the mindset shift, the electric - it's a whole different approach.
The biggest gap of all - is software.... damn, Apple iPad was released more than 10 years ago, but most of the infotainment systems in new cars are slower than the first iPad, the display resolution is worse than the first iPad and UX is very unfunctional... WHY? Why they can't put the hardware that was used in the 10-year-old iPad to make it better???
Legacy car makers still think that if they put fancy leather, aluminum, wood, LEDs and other visual perks - it will make car looks cool, expensive, and comfortable and people will like it and it is competitive.

Remember mobile phones before iPhone?
Manufacturers like Nokia and others were competing in different design in buttons, thickness of the body and size of the phone, how big is the battery and there were many many fancy designs.
After the iPhone was released - all phones look almost the same since then and people don't care. They put the phone case on the top and use it (now people wrap their cars with PPF). And people choose the phone now based on the functionality of the software.

The same thing happens with cars. EV cars of the future - are the software first. And I feel like only Tesla understands it. Until other car makers make this shift, I don't think that I ll consider those cars to purchase.
I don’t know if I care that much about software. Driving experience and range are what made me get a Tesla. I’m still exploring the software functionalities even after driving thousands of miles which I absolutely enjoyed.

I don’t know if I care that much about software. Driving experience and range are what made me get a Tesla. I’m still exploring the software functionalities even after driving thousands of miles which I absolutely enjoyed.
More and more EVs soon will have about 300mi range, about the same 0-60, and similar driving experience.. The software will remain the biggest gap for a pretty long time.

I kind of [want] something like a Bolt as a beater EV...

This was also a consideration for us. I drive a car into the college area 4 times a week and I'm not fond of leaving a Tesla parked there throughout the day. Between vandalism and careless drivers, a Tesla just seems like too expensive a car for that purpose.

My wife likes to characterize the Tesla as delicate, and we all have read stories of very expensive cosmetic repairs.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Same, the driving experience is what has kept me in the car. I would prefer if the car had a lot less software actually. I would love for somebody to do a 'center screen delete' mod on a Model 3 actually and just put in a minimal set of controls and gauges! It would really enrage the fanboys, probably worth it just for that :)

More and more EVs soon will have about 300mi range, about the same 0-60, and similar driving experience.. The software will remain the biggest gap for a pretty long time.
That’s a bold prediction. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Same, the driving experience is what has kept me in the car. I would prefer if the car had a lot less software actually. I would love for somebody to do a 'center screen delete' mod on a Model 3 actually and just put in a minimal set of controls and gauges! It would really enrage the fanboys, probably worth it just for that :)

My theory is that the controls are supposed to be used through voice command. I tell my car to turn up or down the AC, to show energy consumption, to play certain songs on Spotify, etc. Otherwise the menu is too difficult to navigate when driving.

That’s a bold prediction. I’ll believe it when I see it.

My theory is that the controls are supposed to be used through voice command. I tell my car to turn up or down the AC, to show energy consumption, to play certain songs on Spotify, etc. Otherwise the menu is too difficult to navigate when driving.
Who knows, Tesla does not say anything. Personally I hate voice commands in a car. Glad it's there for those who like them, but I only use them for setting nav directions (if I need to change mid-drive).

Life is too short to baby cars. They are tools, meant to be used, and will accumulate wear marks in the process. A patina of a few scratches, scuffs, dents, and dings just adds character.
It me. My emphasis is on the "U" part of "SUV" (or CUV, if you prefer). I haven't actually dinged or scratched the outside yet, but it doesn't bother me at all to shove a load of 10' lumber inside. Yeah, it goes all the way to the front, and scuffs the armrest and side of the seat, but the whole reason I got it instead of a 3 is so it can carry a lotta stuff!

Reactions: Z_Lynx
Some people can't understand why I don't baby my MY, and don't worry about paint scuffs, gravel roads, etc. It's a fun car, and I love using it. So I do. It won't always look the same, but those scuffs from the side of my garage door will fade into the background and in a year I won't even notice them any more.

I baby my MYP because its now apparently a $70-80k car and I previously only had entry level cars in the $20-30k range so any damage is multiplied in terms of cost. I also had to wait 2-3 weeks for parts to fix a small dent in the back so there is lost time on top of the money every time you deal with repairs vs a more common car that has readily available parts.