Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your next EV after Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rivian started doing demos of the R1S in the Bay Area. I got to do one a couple of weeks ago. Not very long, was a drive from San Bruno to Candlestick Park and back. Unfortunately I scheduled it late enough in the afternoon that the 101 was fairly full of cars, precluded doing much feel for hard acceleration. So not really enough to make a call yet - I'll need to do something longer whenever I get close to my spot in the line, to make the decision.

The size is great vs the Y. 50" to the back of the second row instead of 30. Comfortable seats. 3rd row actually useful. Tall view on the road, I've missed that since I traded in a Toy Truck in 1997. Suspension is definitely nicer over the rubble of a road at Candlestick. And the live adjustable height of the suspension is fun.

It is less polished. When I did a map test, that longer time to get a response is pretty apparent. I don't have the blind spot views when I use the turn signal, and no sensors telling me the inches to impact when doing parking. It does have a true 360 overhead camera, but I didn't think to look at that in practice, so not sure it replaces the other.

Acceleration should be equal to or faster than my MYP, but it didn't feel that way in the one chance I had to punch it. Didn't have the press back in the seat sensation, but I also didn't conduct this test in a very quantitative way. Will need to follow up on.

I hated the steering wheel unless it was set to performance. Very mushy, like the power steering on an Oldmobile. And at present, you can't change this setting separately- you must be in sport mode. That should be simple software improvement.

It will still come down to when I am on the delivery calendar. At that point, I can see what the resale on the Y is, how much better the CCS networks have gotten, and any incremental changes to the model. I did do the contract stunt that at least in theory locks in the 7500 credit under the old rules, so this would be a 72k purchase + taxes, DMV, so perhaps 10-12k more than the YP was. But in reality, in my two person household, it's a lux upgrade, not an essential one.

It is less polished. When I did a map test, that longer time to get a response is pretty apparent. I don't have the blind spot views when I use the turn signal, and no sensors telling me the inches to impact when doing parking. It does have a true 360 overhead camera, but I didn't think to look at that in practice, so not sure it replaces the other.
New Teslas don't have the sensors any longer either. Kinda surprised Rivian does not have them actually.

Are these the ultrasonic sensors? That was a recent mid year delete, right?
Yes, this change happened earlier in the month.

Edit: I don’t know the details on the ultrasonic sensors on the other manufacturers. I think that many vehicles have them installed, but Tesla is one of the few companies that I know of which gives a numeric readout on the distance. This may be the case with Rivian, where the sensors are there, but just no software to display the raw sensor data, which could be changed With software.

Last edited:
New Teslas don't have the sensors any longer either. Kinda surprised Rivian does not have them actually.
The Rivians do have ultrasonic sensors in the bumpers. It just doesn’t show the distance in inches. The Rivian does offer rear cross traffic alerts and true blind spot mirrors along with surround view parking. I use the front camera when parking in my garage. The cameras are not as sharp as those offered in the Tesla. Rivian just added a kneel mode for easier egress and ingress.

I don’t have many miles on my R1T, but I haven’t experienced any problems or issues. Are you close to a Rivian Service Center? Have you joined a Rivian forum? There are two popular ones. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions.
I believe there is a service center in San Francisco which is about 1 hour away, yes I’m on the forum. I’m told I won’t get my R1T until July 2023.

Reactions: Ormond
I might put a Rivian on order in the very near future.

Given it'll likely be a year (or more) before it's delivered, my hope is in that timeframe:

Their [long term] viability will be a good bit more sorted out
Service options will expand (and there will be a decent amount of data on how service is handled)
The CCS network, including Tesla opening up SuCs, will either be good enough, or it will be clear Tesla is still the only option

Plus the option just to bail, get a refund, heck, if things went totally pear shaped at Rivian and deposits were lost, it would "only" be $1K (don't get me wrong, I'm not dismissive of $1000, it's just not a life altering loss if were to even happen).

I'd be looking at a R1T, Quad Motor, Max Pack, with the 22" sport Dark wheels, and a Rivian Blue exterior :)

I might put a Rivian on order in the very near future.

Given it'll likely be a year (or more) before it's delivered, my hope is in that timeframe:

Their [long term] viability will be a good bit more sorted out
Service options will expand (and there will be a decent amount of data on how service is handled)
The CCS network, including Tesla opening up SuCs, will either be good enough, or it will be clear Tesla is still the only option

Plus the option just to bail, get a refund, heck, if things went totally pear shaped at Rivian and deposits were lost, it would "only" be $1K (don't get me wrong, I'm not dismissive of $1000, it's just not a life altering loss if were to even happen).

I'd be looking at a R1T, Quad Motor, Max Pack, with the 22" sport Dark wheels, and a Rivian Blue exterior :)
Have you seen one in person, I was impressed with the fit and finish and build quality. Getting to do a test drive next month at their Sacramento service center.

Have you seen one in person, I was impressed with the fit and finish and build quality. Getting to do a test drive next month at their Sacramento service center.

I haven't done a good "hands on" with one yet, only seen a couple on the street. They have a real presence , enough unique design elements to make a notable impact, without looking overdesigned, or just, silly.

Reviews seems to be pretty consistent about the very high F&F, sure, they've had some missteps like the automated tonneau cover, but just general build and materials quality sounds great.

Definitely post up your thoughts after you get a chance to drive one!

I’m interested in an R1S and I could see ordering one if they had any reasonable way to demo one.
Last time I stopped at Rivian Bellevue delivery/repair center they told me the only demo car is in Cal.,
and the process is to order one with deposit, and as delivery gets near they could find a way to demo one.
Sounded like BS and I wouldn’t do that, but I also didn’t see another way through the website.

I’m interested in an R1S and I could see ordering one if they had any reasonable way to demo one.
Last time I stopped at Rivian Bellevue delivery/repair center they told me the only demo car is in Cal.,
and the process is to order one with deposit, and as delivery gets near they could find a way to demo one.
Sounded like BS and I wouldn’t do that, but I also didn’t see another way through the website.
I reserved an R1T in March of 2021 and I’m going to get to test drive one this Friday at there West Sacramento service center in California. When I ordered my Tesla model x it was 2 years before I was able to drive it.

It definitely looks boxier in real life than on the website.

FWIW, the process you described is how many ordered each new Tesla model.