Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your next EV after Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Roger that, but as 1 example the driver’s ingress/egress is a high priority for me and I can only judge that by climbing in and out, etc.
you don't need a test drive to check that out. BTW, they announced a software update on Nov 29th to personalize the behavior on ingres/egress, including vehicle height, seat and wheel position to make it roomier. That would require at least being able to operate the function.

I was able to test drive in October in South San Francisco with the just launched demo drive program. I would think it would slowly expand, but ??

It was a somewhat limited drive, but mostly because of the freeway congestions. Not as good as my Y test drive, a lot better than my Mustang test. Or the Lexus if you buy it you can drive it method.

The only EV I'd get besides another Tesla (have a Model 3, and a reservation for Cybertruck) is possibly an Aptera. I have a reservation for an Aptera and it would be a more efficient commuter vehicle for my 1 hour to work and 1 hour back.
I also made a reservation for an Aptera, however the company seems to have difficulty
for getting enough founding to build the equipments needed to build a production line.

In particular the coming Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) don't have provitions for two or three wheels vehicles,
so if the starting price of the Aptera is $26k and the IRA can provides a $7k discount,
the Aptera would be sold at the same price than a ($26 + $7k) = $31k EV.

The IRA is really compromising the future of the Aptera.

The pricing for a 2023 Chevrolet Bolt hatchback will now start at around
$26,600—$5,900 below the cost of the 2022 model that starts at about $32,500.
Pricing for the roomier 2023 Bolt EUV (Chevy’s moniker for “electric SUV,”) will start at around
$28,200. That represents a $6,300 drop from the 2022 model, with prices beginning at about $34,500.

Last edited:
I also made a reservation for an Aptera, however the company seems to have difficulty
for getting enough founding to build the equipments needed to build a production line.
The stated width of the car is also a concern, both practically and potentially from a regulatory standpoint.

I have an old (1930s) garage door that the Y can just fit in with the mirrors out, 1.5" to spare on each side. (86-87" total opening).

I'll be seeing what the plausibility and cost of increasing to a standard 96 would be.

I'd love a Rivan, but fear lack of charging networks.
the one advantage of the likely 2-3 year wait to get one is that the CCS picture, or the Tesla SC opening matter, should have a bit more clarity before it gets time to talk about payment. The status quo, I agree, is insufficient. Everyone has to keep in mind that it takes a much bigger battery (135) to get that same 315 mile rating, so longer charging stop when away from home.

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
I just got back from doing a demo drive of the Rivian R1T and I was blow away. This “truck” is simply incredible and driving it was even more amazing how quite and smooth it is was mind bogglin. Original I thought I would never take this on a road trip but after today I would prefer it to my Tesla. All my preconceived ideas about this truck where shot down, if you have not driven one I suggest you should.

I just got back from doing a demo drive of the Rivian R1T and I was blow away. This “truck” is simply incredible and driving it was even more amazing how quite and smooth it is was mind bogglin. Original I thought I would never take this on a road trip but after today I would prefer it to my Tesla. All my preconceived ideas about this truck where shot down, if you have not driven one I suggest you should.
Nice vehicle. Just need better charging options. Will be good when Tesla opens their network. Hopefully you have better luck than Rich…

The stated width of the car is also a concern, both practically and potentially from a regulatory standpoint.

I have an old (1930s) garage door that the Y can just fit in with the mirrors out, 1.5" to spare on each side. (86-87" total opening).

I'll be seeing what the plausibility and cost of increasing to a standard 96 would be.

The width seems to be 85 inches, lower than the 88 inches previously announced.
See Gamma video presentation at 1:50:

Note: Chris Anthony, CEO, I believe mentioned that the European version will have a narrow path.

There have been talk to be able to reduced the width when parking, but this was never implemented,
additional weight and added complexity been the major issues.

There are pros and cons from having the engine located inside the wheels.
I think it would have been much simpler to have the motor located inside the vehicle.
A single motor would have been also cheaper, sufficient, and possibly had a lighter weight.
The in-wheel motor wheel bearing have to endure harder shocks constraints.
The cooling and the scavenging thermal energy of the motor to warm the battery and the cabin is not possible.

Having a single source for producing in-wheel motors is also an issue, while a variety
of smaller electrical motors for motorcycle have been already developed.

Previously, Michelin in 2004 presented an Active Wheel but I don't think this new challenging technology ever went into production.

Last edited:
I'd love a Rivan, but fear lack of charging networks.
That’s my concern as well. Love road-tripping in my Model Y but the experience would not be the same with a non tesla. My other concern is that the nearest rivian service center is 5 hours away in Brooklyn.

I do love both Rivians based on the videos I have watched. The R1S would be a great replacement for my wife’s telluride but if I can’t comfortably take it on road trips or if I need to drive 5 hours each way to get warranty work done, then it wouldn’t be worth it.

I'm about 90% there, I haven't placed an order, I think I'm going to track one down lightly used. Found out a service center is being built in Jax (probably close to my Tesla SC, ~30 minutes away), and they've also got planned for Ft. Myers, and a new one in Tampa, plus existing in Orlando and Miami, so decent coverage in Florida for me.

I'm about 90% there, I haven't placed an order, I think I'm going to track one down lightly used. Found out a service center is being built in Jax (probably close to my Tesla SC, ~30 minutes away), and they've also got planned for Ft. Myers, and a new one in Tampa, plus existing in Orlando and Miami, so decent coverage in Florida for me.
Don’t forget that like Tesla they will have Mobil service.

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
I’ve been driving my R1T for a couple months now, but have only charged it at home. On the Rivian website, one can sign up for a text drive. I signed up, but was never offered the opportunity to drive one before my truck was delivered. If you’re interested in driving one, check out a Rivianforums.com and you can probably find an owners’ group in your area. I doubt that it would be hard to find someone willing to let you experience the truck.

The Rivian has a kneel function now that drops the truck in height for easier ingress/egress. I haven’t seen an R1S yet—the SUV is less common but probably will be popular.

• Informative
Reactions: WyoDude and Genie
I’ve been driving my R1T for a couple months now, but have only charged it at home. On the Rivian website, one can sign up for a text drive. I signed up, but was never offered the opportunity to drive one before my truck was delivered. If you’re interested in driving one, check out a Rivianforums.com and you can probably find an owners’ group in your area. I doubt that it would be hard to find someone willing to let you experience the truck.

The Rivian has a kneel function now that drops the truck in height for easier ingress/egress. I haven’t seen an R1S yet—the SUV is less common but probably will be popular.
I would be interested in hearing how you like the R1T, drove one at the demo drive in Sacramento last week and was very impressed.

Reactions: Ormond
I would be interested in hearing how you like the R1T, drove one at the demo drive in Sacramento last week and was very impressed.
I am enjoying my ownership of the Rivian, but I’ve only driven it about 550 miles. Other than some blemishes upon delivery, I’ve not experienced any software or hardware problems. I don’t drive aggressively.

The R1T has a great ride, I have the standard 21” wheels. The air suspension is adjustable, as is the ride height. Some shorter folks might have problems getting in the truck. There are no A-pillar grab handles or running boards. I use the kneel function to drop the suspension when I park.

I don’t go off-roading or camping, but there are features geared towards those interest. The Rivian does offer three 110 outlets. I bought a heavy duty extension cord in case I need to power my refrigerator in case of a power outage.

I think the truck handles fairly well. If I put the R1T into sport mode, the suspension drops to its lowest setting. I’ve only tried it once and have not floored it.

A few features that I do appreciate coming from a Tesla owner, are the blind spot mirrors, rear cross traffic alert, and the 360 parking features. I use the front camera in the grille when parking. The truck is longer than than my recent vehicles. I have to be vigilant when parking. Thankfully I have a deep garage.

The Tesla app and software is much more robust. The IP is similar to the Model S. I don’t have much experience with the advanced cruise control and lane-keeping features, but the Rivian system only works on the mapped highways.

If you have any questions, just ask.

I am enjoying my ownership of the Rivian, but I’ve only driven it about 550 miles. Other than some blemishes upon delivery, I’ve not experienced any software or hardware problems. I don’t drive aggressively.

The R1T has a great ride, I have the standard 21” wheels. The air suspension is adjustable, as is the ride height. Some shorter folks might have problems getting in the truck. There are no A-pillar grab handles or running boards. I use the kneel function to drop the suspension when I park.

I don’t go off-roading or camping, but there are features geared towards those interest. The Rivian does offer three 110 outlets. I bought a heavy duty extension cord in case I need to power my refrigerator in case of a power outage.

I think the truck handles fairly well. If I put the R1T into sport mode, the suspension drops to its lowest setting. I’ve only tried it once and have not floored it.

A few features that I do appreciate coming from a Tesla owner, are the blind spot mirrors, rear cross traffic alert, and the 360 parking features. I use the front camera in the grille when parking. The truck is longer than than my recent vehicles. I have to be vigilant when parking. Thankfully I have a deep garage.

The Tesla app and software is much more robust. The IP is similar to the Model S. I don’t have much experience with the advanced cruise control and lane-keeping features, but the Rivian system only works on the mapped highways.

If you have any questions, just ask.
Thanks for your input, one thing I’m not familiar with is charging at level 2 chargers wondering if you have used them and what your experience has been.